Berlin

mr bridger

I lived in Berlin for a few years. The Anhalter Bahnhof was not the only one used for deportations. Hamburg-Dammtor was also used the same, and many other stations also.

b-denkmal-dammtor.jpg

• Sad 3

Friedrichstraße Bahnhof at the rear off , got the train back from there last week to the flughaffen. The bronze depicts those children who lived and those who perished. 

IMG_1168.PNG

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

The station in the picture before last is Hamburg-Dammtor. Then you got the train from Berlin-Friedrichstraße presumably to Flughafen Tegel?
The bronze at Dammtor station is relatively new. I've seen it only a few times, but not been there so often lately. I used to work right opposite.
I also worked near the Friedrichstraße in Berlin, I knew it from DDR times.

dammtor_bellin.jpg

image.thumb.png.cb76c8fc8dca20a6174c8c0aadd8eec5.png

At Stephansplatz just to the rear of Dammtorbahnhof is the memorial for Infanterie-Regiment Hamburg.
"Großtaten der Vergangenheit sind Brückenpfeiler der Zukunft" - "Deutschland muß leben, auch wenn wir sterben müssen."

image.png.a6271b42c1e80c79363e36615b8da0ea.png

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Impressions of Bahnhof Friedrichstraße including the  "Tränenpalast" (last picture in colour) as I knew it in the old days. A further illustration of a memorial plaque under the bridge recording an incident during the final days of the war, which states that "....two young German soldiers were hanged by inhuman SS-Bandits..." This was of course entirely DDR-propaganda, in reality, no one was interested in the fate of two German soldiers, who otherwise for the SED were  merely "members of the Faschist Wehrmacht" and "Hitleristen". This plaque was stolen several years after the re-unification, later replaced and this again also disappeared and has since been forgotten.

Friedrichstraße.jpg

Friedrichstraße1.jpg

Friedrichstraße2.jpg

Friedrichstraße3.jpg

Friedrichstraße4.jpg

Friedrichstraße5.jpg

Friedrichstraße6.jpg

friedrichstraße6a.JPG

This provocative memorial plaque was set in 1952 under the street bridge of Bahnhof Friedrichstraße. It disappeared in 1999.

image.thumb.png.9c7d564e511de7eecfa2c9a404775d8d.png

Replacement from 1999 - with graffiti . This has also since disappeared.

Friedrichstraße5a.jpg

• Like 3

The war that never seemed to end.... until the end came after 9. November 1989

Mauertote.JPG

mauertote1.jpg

mauertote2.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Rare photo of a conflict situation on the border before 13. August 1961, when the wall was built.
The West Berlin police wore Tschakos at the time.

Konflikt.jpg

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Here is another picture of Berlin, this was no-mans land in the postwar years and the site of the former Reichskanzlei (approx.) Nearby is the Wilhelmstraße and the Leipziger Platz, the buildings in the background were errected in the years after the iron curtain fell. The spot in front of the bunker entry is now a parking lot. To be seen are the marvels of modern architecture in this world metropole!

Berlin.Betonblöcke.jpg

• Like 2