WW2 Home Guard Barkingside

leon21

Here's a small group that belonged to a member of the Barkingside Home Guard.

The Home Guard was operational from 14th May 1940 until it was stood down on 3rd December 1944 and finally disbanded

on 31st December 1945. Men between the ages of 17 and 65 or those men in reserved occupations that were vital in keeping

the country running could join, at the end of the war these Home Guard members were rewarded with a certificate and if

they had served more than 3 years and had requested it they would be awarded the Defence Medal as well.

Barkingside was historically part of Ilford Essex until the creation of the London Borough of Redbridge in 1965.

100_5746.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Barkingside, that's near to where I used to live. Is there any paperwork attached, or the name of the recipient? Or is the medal named?
Essex Regt. badges seem to have become very scarce. Used to see a lot of them around, even the sligtly bigger WW1 types, of which I had a nice example.

• Like 2

No Paul, which is a shame only thing on back of card are the words ( Dads Home Guard Unit attached to Essex Regt ).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Reminds me of a piece, which I got many years ago. It was the large officers cockade (Feldzeichen) for a Prussian Ulan Tschapka, there was a label to the rear, "Aus dem Besitz meines Vaters". ???  Who would know?

Another item was better in that respect. It was a "Soldbuch" for a soldier - later Offizier-Stellvertreter 1914-18 from Württemberg. This was together with a fieldgrey shoulderstrap of Grenadier-Regiment 119, with a label to reverse: "Schulterklappe vom Soldaten Johann Bock, Grenadier-Regt.119". The set was in a cellophane envelope with a label "Aus dem besitz meines Vaters" with the name and address of the inheritant and telephone number. I later called him and we had an interesting chat on the phone. That must be around 30 years ago. Shoulder strap and passbook were not from the same man but somehow came together, they were probably friends.

Another item was a mint fieldgrey shoulderstrap 1914/15 of Saxon Garde-Reiter-Regiment, which also had a label on the reverse, stating name and present Dresden address at the time in the DDR! Will post some of these at some later stage!

• Like 2

Yes it would have been nice to have a name and address  with it, would have been that bit more interesting but still a nice group.

• Like 2