Fake British Webbing?

Reece

OK I THINK I HAVE A FAKE HERE i know i got tolld that e-bay is full of fakes but i thought i wold give it a chance this is a while back now, anyway i bought this thing it was only a few quid this is about 4 months ago it supsobley a webbing pistol ammo pouch i mean i have my suspitions that its a fake if it is well i will know to to go to e-bay from now on heres some pictures

what do you think ?

post-74-1223725350_thumb.jpg

post-74-1223725425_thumb.jpg

post-74-1223725509_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Reece, my first thought is it is probably OK as they don't tend to fake these things , the picture is a little blurry though to make a good judgement. It does however look to be in very good condition for something that old. You have to be very careful even through they are not faked to deceive there are now an awful lot of these things coming out of India for the re-enactment groups. That's the problem with auctions you can buy something and if you don't feel comfortable with it, it spoils it for you , also hard to get your cash back. I think your going in the right direction with helmets and medals anyway as there is not much interest in British webbing.  

• Like 1

is their any way to find out if its real? this is a really bloody stupid thing to say but it smells old which sounds really stupid and I'm going to stick to helmets and medals 

• Like 2

Bring it in to the shop next time your in Reece, things like that you really need to hold in your hand to be sure.

• Like 1

Its not a stupid thing to say that it smells old ,that's a good way to tell and a good sign. However there are ways to make things smell old too. 

• Like 1

Alright i will do thanks, i will be in at the begining of december

• Like 2

How would you make something smell old ? shove it in a garage for 12 months and hope for the best?  

• Like 2

I side with Kenny on this one, though webbing is not my area (and I know there are people out there who love the stuff). 

It is in really good condition though, so probably was never issues and was tucked away. I have found British web equipment from WWII grows very stiff over time nearly to the point of being too hard to be pliable if stored too long. I had some Sten Gun pouches that were this way once. Also it tends to fade out and grow water stains if it ever gets wet. The brass was always good quality though and never grew green copper gunk like the American stuff did.

It is either original well kept or Reproduction for re-enactment. The best way to tell would be to get a hold of collectors or a collectors guide on Webbing and find out if the company was real, if they produced webbing and check the details. You might be able to track it down online but I have no clue was Pattern Type issue that webbing is (Type 37????). A quick google search will find it listed as 'RAF small pouch'

• Like 2

on on the flap of the pouch the outside brass button has a tiny speck of green on it i mean tiny any ideas and thanks Greg 

• Like 2

MW&S... it turns out... stands for: Martin Wright & Sons They had a primary contract for British webbing from the P08 (WWI) through till the P58 (Cold War era) webbing and pieces have been seen from them reported through 1987 (for more modern webbing, duh). I'm getting this from other collectors discussion on various forums and nothing fully legit but seems enough to go on to state the pouch is probably authentic. Note, I've had some of the out-of-India fake crap. It is rather easy to spot (or was) because they would: 1. use low quality thin cheap canvas, 2. do crap stitching and often not double stich 3. Add nylon to the canvas. Hold a match to the end of a strap, if it melts it probably ain't WWII vintage. (Note, try not to set yourself on fire) 

• Like 2

Greg's right British webbing does tend to become very stiff over time , the green spot will be verdigris again a good sign of age. The Indian stuff is actually getting much better and now stamped with correct markings. most likely it will be OK especially if it smells old and has verdigris on it, but best to bring it in to be on the safe side as it does look very new in the photo. How do you make something smell old? well I've never tried it but I've heard stories of people leaving things in the rain, burying in garden etc etc , I'm sure there are other ways too which I'm not aware of. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I forgot to bring it up last time kenny i will bring it this time

• Like 2

Good thinking Reece, if you don't want it any more and it is OK then we could knock something off the compass and it might be of use to Euan, have you got one of these Euan?

• Like 1

sounds, good to me, what if its fake would you still want it? 

• Like 2

Yes I'm sure we could work something out

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK I'll keep it by for you, I'll just add a few quid on top of what ever I give Reece

• Like 1

OK I'll keep it by for you, I'll just add a few quid on top of what ever I give Reece :)

Have you got it in stock at the moment Kenny ? Ill probably be up in about 2 weeks ( maybe 3 ) to get stuff, if that gives you enough time to get it and a bullion cap badge ;)

• Like 2

Reece is coming in on Friday so will get it then, no rush to pick it up

• Like 1

kenny andrew said:
Reece is coming in on Friday so will get it then, no rush to pick it up :)

Cheers mate ! Just name me a price, And it shall be met , just not an extortionate one :D

• Like 2

sounds good Euan, I'm sure price will be good for you

• Like 1

kenny andrew said:
sounds good Euan, I'm sure price will be good for you :thumbsup:

cheers kenny, Ill reccomend you to folk that I know. how much would a holster + belt be ? And do you buy stuff at shows / on the web, or do you get it in the store from people coming in ?

• Like 2

not sure Euan, all depends on what it costs us but will try to keep prices as low as possible.

99% of our stock comes through the door or from contacts , however if I see something on the net and it looks OK that we know someone is looking for we can pick it up for them.

• Like 1