Newbie to the Forum, is it the real deal.

CPT-Dallas

Hi everyone my name kev, a newbie to the forum. Please could you give your opinion on 2 items please, I am a total newbie to collecting German militaria and would appreciate your opinion. Thanks.

post-37978-0-63022400-1488112081_thumb.jpg

post-37978-0-03793000-1488112104_thumb.jpg

post-37978-0-04513300-1488112109_thumb.jpg

post-37978-0-01440200-1488112130_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Kev,

Welcome to the forum :thumbsup: I'm afraid the SS skull is a copy. The Kyffhäuserbund (German National Association of Veterans) cap wreath looks original however there is a part missing from the centre. The centre part is actually snapped off so you could not even attach a replacement. Complete DRKB cap badges are common and without the centre it would be worth very little and hard to sell in the future. If you have not bought these badges I would pass if I were you.

Here is a picture of a complete one.

oldcomrades.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Kev,

sorry I don't like this one either, it's purporting to be a 57er version but I don't like the pin, it also appears to be cast.

• Like 4

Hi Kenny, nope I have not bought the skull, but I do have a £4 bid on the cap wreath, oops, must study pics better, I thought is was just missing the round piece that goes in the centre. didn't notice where the other piece had snapped off.

• Like 4

Hi Kev,

glad to hear that, hopefully some one will out bid you, a complete one sells for about £25 it will go up in value, a broken one, well it's not really much use to anybody. I would not be bidding on any of those items either, you are throwing your money away.

• Like 2

No problem Kev :) sorry had to delete last post, please see forum rules.

• Like 3

Hi all, when you say 57er, am I right to assume these badges were re-issued in 1957 to the German navy minus swastica.

Yes a Vet's award. But the one you posted was a sand cast copy of a '57er. £28 is still a shafting for a fake. A real HSF '57 would go for around £50-60 possibly slightly more at the most. Somebody's been turned over at £28 for a fishing weight. Stewy

• Like 3

Not from Norwich, just ended up here. I'm a Londoner, not enough fingers to be a local. Where are you exactly? Tell me via PM, it'd be nice to have a chat. Stewy

• Like 1

The 57 awards as Stewy said were awarded to veterans, however you must have won it in the war. Nothing to do with the modern German Navy, although post war it was common to see war vets who still served in the German armed forces wear them on their uniforms.

• Like 2

No problem Kev :) sorry had to delete last post, please see forum rules.

Now read forum rules, a bit late. My apologies.

• Like 2

• 6 years later...

You can always add a cockade which was not always attached, your oakleaves are similar to the first pattern, which I had on an early naval peaked cap.

image.jpeg.241a143a9bc84dbad12af61298079202.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.23c026deefcc2c428e7a52a562773d94.jpeg

• Like 4

another example

image.jpeg.0d54d2135547704b4b6920003b9ee20c.jpeg

• Like 4