What's this Badge ?

leon21

Can't make my mind up what this badge is, looks like a collar badge made of brass with loop fitting on back, has traces of

black paint which would indicate it could have been of a blackened-brass finish, typical of rifle battalions of the Territorial

and Service Battalions of WW1.

Possibly from one of Kitchener's Indian volunteer battalions, anybody seen this type of badge before.?post-3823-0-29163900-1484047631_thumb.jpgpost-3823-0-29988100-1484047648_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

rdf-badge.jpgCould be some Regiment like Royal Dublin Fusiliers, more than likely a collar-dog of some sort, what is on the back of the badge?

• Like 4

Hi Paul, yes I looked at the Royal Dublin Fusiliers they formed by linking two old Honourable East India Company's European

regiments. The Royal Tiger brought from the 102nd Royal Madras Fusiliers and the Elephant from the 103rd Royal Bombay

Fusiliers.

The nearest I've seen to this badge is the 1st Dumbartonshire Volunteer Rifle Corps who became the 9th ( the Dumbartonshire )

Batallion of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.

There's nothing on the back of the badge.

• Like 2

Thats what I read also, they have a homepage - there were at least 3 men shot for desertion between 1914 and 1920. There may have also been other regiments with a collar badge similar.

There is an illustration in the book L'Uniorm et les Armes des Soldats de la Guerre 1914-18 by Fred et Liliane Funcken (not exactly THE reference work) for insignia - headdress and collar of the Seaforth Highlanders, latter depicting an elephant with saddleblanket and base but without the "backpack" in brass/bronze, then there is a separat piece worn below in the form of an "F" over a scroll with "ASSAY", not that, but there must be other possibilities

-what does the rear of the badge show? Probably two loops? You say there is nothing at the back of the badge, there must have been some affixment to attach to uniform? Or broken off, removed? No traces?

• Like 2

Yes there is one loop remaining which has been bent over into a hook shape no makers mark on back it's made

from solid brass looks like it was cast made.

There are several Scottish regiments that has the elephant on their badges.

• Like 3

Hi Colin, I'm pretty sure it's a Duke of Wellingtons West Riding Regiment collar badge. Cast badges were made overseas so in this case probably Indian made :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Was def. Duke of Wellington's 33rd - WW1 period, I wouldn't have known

• Like 3

Was originally the 76th Regiment of Foot were linked together with the 33rd Regiment of Foot under the Childers Reforms

to become the 2nd Battalion and the 33rd became the 1st battalion.

1st Battalion served in India through WW1, the 2nd Battalion served on the Western Front.post-3823-0-19877100-1484307086_thumb.jpgpost-3823-0-16866000-1484307100_thumb.jpgpost-3823-0-74388900-1484307115_thumb.jpg

• Like 2