Russian front

Buster

Here's another decoration from my small collection, its The Russian front/eastern front medal,

The Eastern Front Medal (German: Medaille Winterschlacht im Osten 1941/42) was a World War II German military decoration awarded to both German and Axis personnel. It was for those who served on the German Eastern Front during the "first winter campaign" period of 15 November 1941 to 15 April 1942.[1] It was instituted on 26 May 1942 and was commonly known as the Ostmedaille (East Medal). Geographic limits were placed on its award of east of Ukraine and Ostland or in the Finnland area, east of the 1940 Russo/Finnish border. It was officially decommissioned on 4 September 1944.

post-37944-0-66019500-1481871118_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

This has always been looked upon as a nice medal. It used to be referred to as "gefrorener Fleischorden" - Order of the frozen meat -

It was designed by a former participant in that campaign, SS-Unterscharführer Krause, and produced as from May 1942. Source: Gordon Williamson - Handbuch der Waffen-SS 1933-45, first published 2003.

Have you found a maker's number stamped into the ring? This makes them worth a little bit more.

• Like 3

Yes it's maker marked, I will have a look when I get home as I can't recall the mark on it.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Yes it's maker marked, I will have a look when I get home as I can't recall the mark on it.

Just had a look at the Russian front medal, there's a mark on the ring! Buti cant make it out even with a Jewellers loop.

• Like 4

• 2 years later...

Here is my medal, it also has a stamp on the ring.

IMG_2538.JPG

IMG_2541.JPG

IMG_2540.JPG

• Like 4

Maker looks like either a 6 or a 9 - I tend to read this as a 6

6 = Fritz Zimmermann (Stuttgart)
9 = Liefergemeinschaft Pforzheimer Schmuckhandwerker

• Like 3

You got me Fritz, but I appreciate the info! I could not even read that with my eyes, had to use a magnifying glass...

• Like 4