Time Commanders

Kenny Andrew

Anybody remember this from 2003? was one of my favorite TV shows. I've just heard the BBC have made a new series which will air on BBC4 Monday the 12th of December. In the meantime I'm going to try to upload all the past episodes in order.

Time Commanders was a series of programmes made by Lion TV for BBC Two that ran for two series from 2003 to 2005. The programme was originally hosted by Eddie Mair and latterly by Richard Hammond, it featured a specially made game engine to reenact historical battles. A team of four contestants would direct the forces on one side. The teams were unfamiliar with computer games, to make sure their gaming skills did not influence their success.

Series one

Episode 1 The Battle of Trebia. aired on the 4th of September 2003 Carthage (vs Rome)

The picture quality is not great as it's taken from an old VHS tape.

• Like 2

Episode 2 Battle of Watling Street aired on 11 September 2003

Rome (vs Icenii and Other Britons)

• Like 2

Episode 3 Battle of Bibracte aired on 18 September 2003

Rome (vs Helvetii and Other Gauls)

• Like 1

Episode 4 The Battle of Mons Graupius aired 25 September 2003

Caledonians (vs Rome)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The new series 3 started last Monday on BBC 4 it was very good, however I think I preferred the original concept where the main battle took up most of the programme. Episode 2 is on tonight at 9pm

In the meantime here is episode 5 The Battle of Tigranocerta aired 2nd of October 2003.

Armenia (vs Rome)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I agree Kenny, I enjoyed the first series & I've been watching this series. It was pulled after just one series, due to lack of interest. Hopefully they will make more. It was a surprise seeing "what's his name" as "who's she"? Each to their own I suppose. Stewy

• Like 2

I hope so Stewy, in the old series the troops seemed to move more slowly, so you could actually follow the battle, which at times got quite exciting. In the new series although the graphics are better, the troops seem to move much faster and you can't really follow what's going on , they all just seem to be charging at each other. The Roman commanders in last weeks episode were unbelievably bad, the guy looking after the cavalry had no idea what he was doing, and then they lost all their artillery. I also was surprised to see Dr Nusbacher wearing a dress. A good idea would be to have the two experts going head to head in a battle, that would be very interesting.

in the meantime here's another episode of the first series

episode 6 The Battle of Pharsalus aired 9 October 2003 Pompeius (vs Julius Caesar)

• Like 1

It would be good to see battles like Stalingrad dipped into & see if the outcome may be different. Not sure I'd fancy taking on Dr Nusbacher, she's a bit of a unit. Stewy

• Like 2

"Dr. Nusbacher" seems to have a strange biography. One of her predecessors probably escaped from Germany before 1939 - couldn't find an English version of this text:

Lynette Nusbacher, geboren als Aryeh Judah Schoen Nusbacher (* 17. Dezember 1966 in New York, USA), ist eine US-amerikanische Militärhistorikerin. Sie ist Lehrerin an der Militärakadamie in Sandhurst.
Nusbacher hat sich 2007 einer geschlechtsangleichenden Maßnahme unterzogen.
Werke

The Battle of Bannockburn 1314 (2000)
From Koje to Kosovo: The Development of the Canadian National Command Element. In: Peter Dennis, Jeffrey Grey: The Korean War 1950−53 (2000)
Civil Supply in the Civil War: Supply of Victuals to the New Model Army on the Naseby Campaign, 1−14 June 1645. In English Historical Review. Jg. 115, Nr. 460 (2000), S. 145–160.
London’s Civil War 1642−46 (2002)
War and Conflict (2002)

Einzelnachweise

Tätigkeitsbeschreibung in Sandhurst, PDF-Datei 280 KB, offizielles Dokument, (engl. eingesehen am 13. März 2011)

Prinz Harry: «Yes Ma'am» statt «Yes Sir», 20 Minuten, 9. Mai 2007, abgerufen am 16. Juni 2012.

• Like 2

Here's an article in English, I wouldn't be surprised if Professor Nusbacher actually reads this forum. I agree Stewy Stalingrad would be awesome :thumbsup:

A TOP male lecturer at Sandhurst who taught Princes William and Harry has won his own war to be a woman. Officer Cadets returned to the elite military academy for a new term yesterday to find pipe-smoking Dr Aryeh Nusbacher is now Lynette. Dr Nusbacher, 40 already tagged "Mrs Gunfire" is believed to have had the sex change op in the past few weeks.
On top of giving her the title of Ma'am, cadets have been ordered to treat her with full respect. Sandhurst's Commandant, Major General Peter Pearson, has warned that any jokes or snide remarks by pupils or staff will be severely punished. The US-born professor, married with a young daughter, is still living with wife Melanie and family in nearby Guildford, Surrey. A friend of Lynette's said: "She's a very brave girl. "A stiff upper lip military environment such as Sandhurst is about the hardest place to come out." As well as teaching at Sandhurst the professor is known to viewers of the BBC2 war game show Time Commanders and History Channel documentaries.

• Like 1

We actually had Professor Saul David another of the experts on Time Commanders visit the shop last year, he got his History PhD at the University of Glasgow. I had forgotten about Time Commanders otherwise I would have asked him about it.

Professor Julian Saul David (born 1966) is a British academic military historian and broadcaster. He is best known for his work on the Indian Mutiny and the Anglo-Zulu War, as well as for presenting and appearing in documentaries on British television covering imperial and military themes. David was born in Monmouth, Monmouthshire, Wales, and was educated at various local schools in Herefordshire and Monmouthshire before studying for his A-levels at Ampleforth College. He studied for an MA in history at Edinburgh University for which he was awarded a 2-1, and read for his PhD at the University of Glasgow. He was Visiting Chair in Military History at the University of Hull for 2007 - 2008. In 2009 he was appointed professor of Military History at the University of Buckingham and has since been directing the institution's MA programme.

• Like 1

Episode 7 The Battle of Cannae aired 16 October 2003 Carthage (vs Rome)

• Like 2

Amazing.

• Like 2

That battle of Cannae is a good one. I was really peeved when they stopped after the two series. Glad to see it back on our screens. Handy that there's more channels than back then. It means more diversity, no excuse to watch "Strictly X factor" or whatever that sh1t is. Stewy

• Like 2

Cannae was good, the Police were a good team, I liked the way the police woman called her troops 'officers' :D they handled it more like riot control than a battle.

I quite liked episode 2 of series 3 Waterloo, it was mad to see Napoleon sword fighting with a dozen Prussian cavalry men, then get killed :(

• Like 1

Episode 8 The Battle of Raphia, also known as the Battle of Gaza aired 23 October 2003 Egypt (vs Seleucids)

This is the only version of this episode and is only available in six clips, which is a pity as it features Kate Silverton from the BBC news, I can't actually remember this one first time round, hopefully it will be a good one.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Episode 9 The Battle of Qadesh aired 30 October 2003 Hittites (vs Egypt)

• Like 1