WW1 iron cross

Buster

I originally bought this to display beside my luger, as you can see its a 1914 iron cross, but I can't make Out the ring marking, it looks like an M or W, and something else not sure what though.

post-37944-0-44789800-1478508470_thumb.jpg

post-37944-0-80463400-1478508487_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

This is a W - for Juwelier Wilm in Berlin. The frame and ring are usually real silver.

• Like 4

Thanks for that Fritz, its good to know it could be real silver, it definatly toned to a nice colour.

• Like 4

and the core is real iron - care is essential, this can rust in time, so store in a dry place - and also the cast iron core can fracture if the item falls. As can be seen in many older examples, especially 1870 models, I have a lovely example of one, but the core is in three pieces, slightly loose in the frame. Best to do nothing, just handle with care.

• Like 3

Was it broken when you got the cross?, i have a second class ww2 iron cross, but I think its a bad one! I got in when I was under the weather & bought it from a dealer who I found out later is infamous for selling fake third reich items

• Like 3

The breaks were very old and were already brown with rust. The loop for the ring had also a very old repair, but on original ribbon with the silver "25" oakleaf, given in 1895 to mark the 25th Anniversary.

As with the cross you describe, it would be advisable to get an expertise from a reputable dealer on this, and somehow return it to the source you got it from and get a refund. Maybe Kenny can give you some advice on this?

post-173-0-01458000-1490211034_thumb.jpg

post-173-0-22915600-1490211228_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Here's a typical example of an older EK, this one of 1870, and like so many older examples, the iron core has broken into four fragments, still held in the frame. The iron core was cast iron and so was brittle, one drop could do this.

image.thumb.png.195ff3793b4799730590a8cb2db96d50.png

image.thumb.png.d76de6c7c36eec37c345f0d88726b0f8.png

• Like 3