Battlestar Galactica

Kenny Andrew

• 4 years later...

Have you any Battlestar Gallactica items Gildwiller? There was not so much made but another area of nostalgia for me, here are some Cylons from the original series.  

battlestar gallactica1.jpg

• Like 4

Unfortunately not Kenny, I did like that series as well, and the Cylons...by your command!  

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Yes the bad guys are always the best. Due to lockdown I've finally got round to watching the new series which is almost 20 years old now! Did not fancy it at all as the original is classic, however I must admit I am liking it allot , just about getting my head around the fact Starbuck is now a woman and Boomer is a Cylon but it's actually very good.

0f19a626e88c667b4b1aa7f5e29cf863.gif

• Like 3

I have only seen a few episodes of the new series, been meaning to get time to watch it. My kid is hooked on the Stargate SG-1 and spin off series, so that's what I'm watching now.

• Like 4

I've only seen a few random episodes of Stargate SG-1 but the ones I saw were quite good. Same with the new Battlestar Gallactica series but the ones I saw I did not like at all, did not like the characters or the strange drums instead of music during the battles. However I did some research to see if any original Cylons were in the new series and turns out there were , so watched them and then started watching from the beginning. Now on series 3, I think I've watched over 50 episodes in the last couple of weeks. I'm even liking the new versions of the characters Colonel Tigh and Baltar even Starbuck. The human Cylons are a bit confusing but getting my head round that now and some of them are quite hot.

• Like 3

I do plan on watching the Battles star series as well, I just have to find a streaming service that offers it. I will keep an open mind while watching it. As far as the toys go, I did have some, but as I remember they were not easy to find or get and never seemed to be found in quantities like the star wars figures were.

• Like 4

I'm watching it for free on the BBC iplayer but you probably won't be able to get that in the US. The Blu ray box set is now actually quite cheap for all four seasons but I don't think Razor is included which is the one with the original Cylons, that can also be bought separately on blu ray and is extended with an extra 15 minutes which features mostly Cylons ( CGI unfortunately but still good to see the originals) I'm now on series 4 which has gone a bit strange but then the original series went a bit odd later on too, but it's still good so far. 

When I went back to Canada for a second time I think in 1979 I had been saving up all year to buy more Star wars items. When I arrived I saw all this Battlestar Gallactica stuff in the shop, I had never even heard of Battlestar Gallactica as it was never released in the UK until years later. So was really confused and did not buy any Star Wars items, went home to Vancouver and my uncle put Battlestar Gallactica on cable TV for me , I was blown away with it. So the next day all the Star Wars money was spent on Battlestar Gallactica items. I think they only made half a dozen figures but I bought loads of Cylons, I even kept the packaging and sent away for the Gold Cylon leader, they were made by Mattel  who also made the Raider and Vipers which were a smaller scale. The figures were not as good as the Star Wars figures but it's all very nostalgic for me.

cylon.jpg

• Like 3

I just bought the original series on DVD, should be here any day now. Will be quite nostalgic. 

• Like 4

I just finished the new series, it was very good. Still a few more to buy on Blu ray which are not on the iplayer , Razor, the Plan , Blood and Chrome and Caprica but decided to hold off on those for the moment and started watching the original series again. Watched disc one yesterday it was very good but dare I say it I actually now prefer the new series. The original is quite slow in comparison but still good, in fact after the first two episodes there was quite allot of it which I did not remember so looking forward to watching it all again. Starbuck is very good and the original Cylons and Lucifer, Baltar too, going to try to watch a disc a day, 21 hours in total I think, then pick up the modern blu rays , there is also a new series coming out soon apparently so a good time to get into Battlestar Galactica. 

• Like 4

• Kenny Andrew pinned this topic

I'm sure the original series will have its ups and downs, much like the original Star Trek series. But I think its good for my kids to see all of that as well. 

• Like 4

If they like it you could consider getting them the spin off "Galactica 80"  It was more for kids because of the time slot, it really was not very good from memory. Apollo and Starbuck are not in it only Adama. The lead is played by a grown up Boxy.  I think they eventually land on Earth during WW2 and decide to help the Germans as they were more advanced. Its not great the only bit I can really remember is the flying motorcycles. However it is worth picking up for the last episode "Starbuck returns" which for some reason features Dirk Benedict as Starbuck again and is just like a classic original episode.    

galactica806.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 years later...

Here are some of the vintage BSG toys I have, still need a few pilots for the vipers, shown are all the produced figures, plus a few extra Cylons. 

IMG_7043.JPG

IMG_7044.JPG

IMG_7047.JPG

IMG_7045.JPG

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

Very impressive Gildwiller ,that brings back memories, I remember saving the card backs and sending them off to get the Gold Cylon leader, my aunt then had to post it to me from Canada to Scotland. Here is my Battlestar cabinet, not the original Mattel unfortunately but they are on my list to get eventually.    

battlestar1.JPG

• Like 4

Very nice! The originals are still quite affordable, even still packaged, compared to Star Wars and others. I also have a lot of ship parts that I use for rebuilds, etc. 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I just finished watching the newer Battlestar Galactica TV series, overall, it was not bad, it was entertaining enough to watch once. Don't think I will watch it again though. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, it was good to watch once, will probably watch it again, maybe in ten years time. So much other stuff to watch these days with all these streaming channels.    

• Like 3

I just read yesterday that they are thinking of doing a new reboot of the Battlestar Galactica series. No details or anything yet. Could be good or bad...

• Like 2