Junk shop finds

Dave

:2gunsfiring_v1:

Might get the forum going again. :schermen:

People get great finds in junk shops, charity shops, car boot sales, yard sales etc. :rockon:

I only find genuine junk. :kopkrab:

Let us know about your bargain finds :1219:

You might even have had some from Treasure Bunker :D

Dave

No I find junk too... mostly in antique shops but here are some classics:

Antique shop (USA) - WWII 1945 US Marines issue water canteen with cover. But flip it over, stamped: MADE IN JAPAN

Boot Sale (USA) - 7.56 MM US Ammunition can, standard modern issue. $35 USD (I could find them for $2.50 easily)

Antique shop (Glasgow) - modern issue British DPM jacket, helmet cover and assault vest. All marked rare equipment being solder for over £200

Maybe you can find the odd bargain or rare thing. I hear it from collectors who go to Eastern Europe often. But here in the UK... very unlikely. Go watch the antique shows on BBC, the items are all overpriced junk, and I'll say that with authority.

:giljotiini:

I remember in the 70's the genuine "junk shops" in the old parts of Edinburgh.

By about 1978 they started closing down and turning into "Antique" shops. Same stock - just repainted walls and 50 x prices!

You could buy bayonets from "Junk" shops for 50p. :axis-li-kill:

Most were run by bad tempered elderly people and several had "No Browsing" policies! Strange :kopkrab:

Dave.

Hows this for a reply to a similar post on another forum ?

:band:

Not a junk shop find...

But a few years ago,I put an add out in the paper for any ww2 stuff that I could borrow for an exibit on D-day that I was putting on at my local vets club.

An old girl showed up at my door ,handed over a box,to my wife,told her to keep it,or throw it away an drove off.

Inside was a pre-war brass SA buckle and leather belt,a couple of swastika arm bands,a few pre-war SA rally badges,and a couple of SA stick pins!!!

:microwave:

Hows this for a reply to a similar post on another forum ?

:band:

Not a junk shop find...

But a few years ago,I put an add out in the paper for any ww2 stuff that I could borrow for an exibit on D-day that I was putting on at my local vets club.

An old girl showed up at my door ,handed over a box,to my wife,told her to keep it,or throw it away an drove off.

Inside was a pre-war brass SA buckle and leather belt,a couple of swastika arm bands,a few pre-war SA rally badges,and a couple of SA stick pins!!!

:microwave:

Not too bad for a random drop off! I've thought of advertising I am willing to purchase bayonets, put it in the collector magazines but never have... mainly bc of all the crazy people out there that will want top dollar or gold bullion for the rusty crap they have but swear Hitler himself carried.

I've never found anything interesting in a junk shop either as Greg says when you do find something it tends to be far from a bargain! I was in Edinburgh too years ago there were a few shops by the Grass market ,one had a German Army buckle he wanted £200 for it !!! and that must have been about 15 years ago ,market value then around £35.I think the reverse is true of these shops I think some times they are waiting for a gullable tourist to come along.

We went back the following month and he said he had sold it, whither that is true or not I don't know but I pity the poor guy who bought it :shok0002:

:taz:

But wasn't that Adolf Hitler's belt buckle? :lol:

There truely is one born every minute :infinity:

The trouble is when a subject or a period gets popular the sharks move in. I remember Britain's lead soldiers jumping from prices in pennies to 3 figures in pounds.

We have to go back nearly 40 years now for the true junk shops.

:00009176:

I picked up a 4 foot by 3 foot framed print of the Scots Guards Saving the Colours at Alma. Has an inscription that it was presented to the Sergeants Mess, by 2 Lance Sergeants. Something you would easily pay £80-£100 for.

Not bad for £20 at a car boot sale.

Well i know that my grandad was in a junk shop when my mum was only a kid and he used to go into junk shops from time to time, and he found some ww2 raf binoculars, i will post some pictures in the next few days

Can't say I have found anything myself, apart from the few odd books, bought a late 1800's leather bound book, on the Denmark v Prussia war (I think) for a couple of quid as it was in Danish coupla years back. Got it valued at over £100, think I lost it in one of my 5 moves between Aug 2007 and July 2008.

With the rise of the internet auction websites, even the junk/charity shops are trying to make themselves look as if they are in the know and are looking to rake as much as they can from the pleb, sorry punter, as mentioned by a previous poster they are trying to flog ''authentick'' German gear as worn by ''Uncle Adolf''...I'm no expert, but c'mon...grrr.

Ok a bit late but heres a picture of the binoculars, im not a very good photgrapher

post-74-1223636849_thumb.jpg

Not Bad Reece, probably worth about £35 if in reasonable condition :thumbsup: