Sign in to follow this  
Fritz

Some popular actors and actresses previously encountered

Two famous actors, i.e., actor and actress previously encountered.

Hans-Christian Blech, born in Darmstadt, 1915, died in München, 1993, a familiar face in many war films, mostly playing a German villain.

Although he lived in latter years in Munich, I used to see him occasionally pass by my window, while I was living in up north (Eilbek).

He would give you a look, which was like a greeting from an old friend without even saying a word. See illustration, which was made around 1990.

Eva-Maria Bauer, born, Hamburg, 1923, died in Hamburg, 2006, played in many tv-comedies and series, especially in Austria and Bavaria. She had an enormous bungalow in the residential part of Wandsbek-Marienthal, and we often used to see her in her front garden, and she would wave, as she knew Birgitt quite well. Birgitt was the daughter of Oberfeldwebel Walter Neusüss, see under further articles.

Eva-Maria is depicted here in the popular tv crime series "Tatort", here with Hans-Jörg Felmy (whose father was General Helmuth Felmy of the Luftwaffe) and Willy Semmelrogge.

image.thumb.png.56b13140685cc24549496249e4d209d6.png

Eva.maria.bauer.jpg

image.png.c07a960f2397d3ea2cf44e34ecd5bf38.png

• Like 3

Hans Christian Blech was a great actor and appeared in some of my favourite films , The Bridge at Remagen, The Battle of the Bulge and The Longest Day. During the war he joined the German army in 1940 and served as a German infantryman on the Eastern front from 1941 to 1944 where he received his famous scars. His rank was Feldwebel when he was captured by the British in May 1945.

Major Werner Pluskat The longest Day 1962

Cpl. Conrad Battle of the Bulge 1965

Captain Carl Schmidt Bridge at Remagen 1968

I hope this clip from the Battle of the Bulge is not censored for you Paul?

hans3.gif

hans2.gif

hans3.gif

• Like 3

No, these are not censored. The one I meant, worked for a while, until the said notice appeared.

Hans Christian Blech was quite a charakter. I often saw him wearing a long cream coloured single breasted trenchcoat (probably Burberry). He looked very "unauffällig", you wouldn't otherwise recognise him on the street, until too late. Probably the best of his roles was as Feldwebel Platzek in Null-Acht-fünfzehn - 08/15 by Hans-Helmut Kirst, played together with Hans-Joachim Fuchsberger, recently deceased, in the setting of an Artillery Regiment (3) in peacetime, part I ending with the outbreak of war in September 1939. It shows the pettiness, intrigues and Schikanes (Engl.word?) of daily life in the "Kaserne", and how Gefreiter Asch always comes out top - because he is simply too "clever" for the dumb "Kommiß-Schleifer). In the end, Platzek gets tranferred to the Pulverfabrik Saumagen, in order to learn how to properly deal with "explosives". Luckily there is still a little bit of justice left, thanks to the Abteilungschef - section chief, Major Luschke, who is from the old school.

08/15 is a film really worth seeing. It is in 3 parts. These old actors all took part in the war, so they know what it's all about. Fuchsberger was in the HJ, Hardy Krüger was also in the HJ - Adolf-Hitler-Schule (AHS), Klaus Kinsky was in the Wehrmacht, etc., etc.

• Like 3

I've never seen that film before , but managed to find it. I can only find two parts is this the complete film or is the third part missing?

Another film I saw years ago but have never found since was set on the Eastern Front, I'm not sure if it was German made but near the end a German soldier went into a church or building which was filled with Italian soldiers , they might even have been all frozen, does that ring any bells?

• Like 3

The film is not only very entertaining, but also very informatiive and really goes into smallest details of everyday life in those days.

In all, there are three main parts -

Part 1 - 08/15 (peactime)

Part II - this in Russia

Part III - In der Heimat (last phase of the war, when everythi´ng was collapsing, and everyones first concern was to save their skins)

My set I got about 8 years ago from WELTBILD in Augsburg via mail - book and videos were their mainstay, but they have reduced this, and only deal in odds and ends, pity.

This business somehow ran itself down, and many publications of this sort have disappeared from public sale, same applies to KARSTADT, which you might know. They also used to have a good selection of books, but discontinued this. You might well find under AMAZON, look for 08/15 Trilogie - which is the 3-part set.

• Like 4

Here is at least part of the final (3), not sure if complete . but has been dubbed over by the Russians. Still can be followed interesting to see the situation at the end of the war - danger from all sides.

N.B.: In this film there is a lot of post war anti-"nazi" propaganda as a general relief for the guilt of certain circles. Not guilty, always blame the others.
So entlastet man sich auf Kosten anderer.

• Like 3

Excellent Paul, pity it is in Russian but well done finding the final part :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Another great one from the North was Heinz Reinke, born in Kiel, 1925, died in Purkersdorf nr.Wien, Sept.2011. He was in Hamburg quite a bit and lived there, but was for many years in Wien, as are many actors. He is more known at home and in the German speaking territories, but has had quite a few roles in international films over the years from the early postwar days till recently. He played in the Longest Day as Josef Priller, one of the only two Luftwaffe pilots over Normandy, and also in the Bridge at Remagen as the Ortsgruppenleiter and Hotel manager in a small town, etc. For years in Vienna, he also had Austrian citizenship.

I never actually met Reinke, but I have known his son for many years, Thomas Reinke, who now lives in Kiel, and I have not seen him for some time. He is quite the opposite of his father.

Here in the series "Heimatgeschichten" with Inge Meysel:

and "Neues aus Büttenwarder" . was one of his last popular series:

"Schnupfi"

image.png.e6be41a1fab7e185b9e9ac7fcc46f174.png

image.png.197ff36c7ab7a9af12b72e6e59c94b1c.png

image.thumb.png.56c20ad6502db27261514db48a9d07d3.png

• Like 3

I remember him in the Bridge at Remagen "I'm only a humble inn keeper" as he tries to swallow his party badge :D

talking of Priller, we have a nice Hans Ulrich Rudel signed letter in stock in which he mentions Priller.

rudel1.jpg

• Like 2

Also - "The Longest Day" - if you remember the scene with the lonely airfield with two Messerschmitts - the telephone call order to scramble and the flight over the beaches strafing with very little amunition to spare?

The note from Rudel I saw already. He was quite well known to some people in the North, although he lived elsewhere and much abroad - I remember some of his things were auctioned from the late eighties till the early nineties by Hanseatisches Auktionshaus in Hamburg - no longer existant.. They also had his Ritterkreuz with the Golden Eichenlaub and Swords and Brillies, which I saw in the glass case, can't remember the starting price.

• Like 3

Rudels post war exploits were just as interesting as his war time ones, working for Stroessner, Perón and Pinochet. He was quite a character.

• Like 2

Just found that Josef Priller died at the age of 46 from a sudden heart attack. He was buried at the Westfriedhof in Augsburg. He was not very old.

• Like 2

That's a shame and explains why Rudel had not heard from him.

• Like 2

In those days there was no internet. But almost everyone was in the telephone books, but so many for each region/city.

• Like 3

Not personally encountered, but another famous actor, "the man you'd love to hate...". Anton Diffring, played in many rôles as a German officer, etc. Lived for many years in the UK, from where he played his most prominent parts. I'm sure everyone will remember him.

After studying acting in Berlin and Vienna, Anton Diffring headed to America via Canada to start his film career. World War II was declared and he was interned in Canada as a subversive. Released after the war, he continued to Hollywood but had little success. The 1950's found him in England where the studio's were making war movies. With his fair hair, stern face and chiseled german features, he was perfect for casting as a Nazi. His career soared appearing in numerious films, portraying vile, despicable Nazi villains. He appeared in some American movies, "Where Eagles Dare" and the "Colditz Story" but his mainstay was in English productions. Among castings in over one hundred movies were parts in "Counterpoint," "Operation Daybreak" and "Zeppelin." He was a regular on the TV series "Assignment Vienna" with guest appearences in the mini-series "The Winds of War." Diagnosed with cancer, he continued to work up until the disease took his life at his residence located in the South of France at Chateauneuf-Grasse.

Birth 20 Oct 1916
Koblenz, Landkreis Altenburger Land, Thüringen, Germany
Death 20 May 1989 (aged 70)
Chateauneuf-Grasse, Departement des Alpes-Maritimes, Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur, France
Burial White Colne, Braintree District, Essex, England

Anton Diffring.jpg

AntonDiffring2.jpg

AntonDiffring3.jpg

• Like 2

Anton Diffring was a great actor here he is as Reinhard Heydrich in Operation Daybreak.

• Like 3

Terrorist attack, politically correct in those days, but now,  ooh

• Like 1

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. The aims of terrorism and guerrilla warfare may well be identical but they are distinguished from each other by the targets of their operations. The guerrilla fighter's targets are military ones, while the terrorist deliberately targets civilians. By this definition, a terrorist organization can no longer claim to be 'freedom fighters' because they are fighting for national liberation. Even if its declared ultimate goals are legitimate, an organization that deliberately targets civilians is a terrorist organization.

• Wow 1

He who wins, lives to write history. The Protektorat Böhmen und Mähren was relatively peacefull untill the attack on Heydrich and the retaliation afterwards, things then escalated.

Some notable German actors and actresses

image.png.a904ae97f84c9ab8f14be8eb4bc71d91.png

Hubert von Meyerinck, Schauspieler par excellence, here some Anekdoten and phrases from the Prussian Military... (in German of course),
absolutely classical for those who understand... "Zack! Zack! seldom laughed so much" Military Jokes:

http://udorotenberg.blogspot.com/search/label/Hubert von Meyerinck

More actors, 1930 - 1980