Imperial Russian Militaria

Fritz

A few items of Imperial Russian Militaria from the times dating till 1917. I had quite a few items in the old days, these are all that remain, apart from a belt buckle, later to follow.

Cockades in the Tsarist Romanow colours for the peaked or peakless field cap or the Papaschka (fur cap worn in the Winter).

The cockade on the left is for officers, and for other ranks on the right.

A further item is a French manufactured Russian Imperial emblem for the M.1915 Adrian helmet, with almost all of its orginal khaki finish. Only about 300.000 of these helmets were delivered to the Russian army and these were mostly worn on the Mesopotamian Front. Quite rare. This example came from an antique shop near the university in Hamburg many years ago. Just a surprise find.

The last item is a single shoulder strap for an officer, Подпору́чик - Podporuchik (Unterleutnant) of Leib Grenadier Regiment 113, which bears the monogram of Tsar Nikolai II. This regiment was based in Kronstadt in the present day Baltic States. The button on this example is missing, but has been replaced by an Imperial Eagle originating from such a button.

After the October Revolution in 1917 all symbols were removed from the uniforms. Many regiments had mutinied against the Tsar and went over to the Bolscheviks.

image.thumb.png.11a2bc0cf05ff5a15528c9519f594249.png

image.thumb.png.51a6bd27be4f022593988637baf812b1.png

post-173-0-96365100-1475002090_thumb.jpg

post-173-0-99099200-1475002110_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 11 months later...

Imperial Russian belt buckle, type for line infantry, ca. 1914. Heavy brass with a with a single iron claw for attachment to belt and a hook to fasten. The hook is stamped in Russian charakters: L.K. RA....., Warschawa, name partly illegible, Warsaw maker's mark. Good condition considering age and use.
There were two other variations, one in white metal with crossed axes below the eagle for Pioniers and another in brass with crossed canons below the eagle for Artillery. Scarce to find item, purchased in Berlin many years ago.

100_3016.JPG

100_3017.JPG

100_3018.JPG

• Like 4

• 5 months later...

French manufactured, Russian Adrian helmet. White metal buckle for infantry and other units with silver colored buttons. From my collection. 

Russian Adrian_1.jpg

Russian Buckle.JPG

• Like 5

Very nice indeed, there was also the yellow metal buckle for infantry.
Here are some examples from my own collection, the buckle has a Warsaw manufacturer.

100_2383.JPGimage.thumb.png.0dd0b451d84efb0fa2868309711f3e18.png

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Further examples.

• Like 3

A few more items from my Tsarists Russian collection.  They are, an enlisted man's peaked cap, a military railway belt buckle (Northwest rail line), Officer, NCO, enlisted and reservist cap cockades, enlisted man's winter cap, officer's shoulder board from the 26.Siberian Rifle Regiment, Zelinski-Kummant gas mask and a brass enlisted man's belt buckle from a grenadier regiment.

IMG_0916.JPG

11_13_0.JPEG

Russian Cockards.JPG

IMG_0917.JPG

01_25_16.JPEG

IMG_0912.JPG

Russian Grenadier Buckle.JPG

• Like 5

Marvellous examples. You won't find these again.

• Like 4

Thanks. I have quite a bit more, if there is anything specific you would like to see just mention it. I have a collection of buckles, shoulder boards, some uniforms, etc.

I understand what you mean when you say I won't find these things again. I have not added anything new to this part of my collection in decades, though I continue to look. The growing interest in Russia in all things Tsarist and the proliferation of reproductions has limited the availability of original items and has made purchasing anything on-line somewhat of a risk.

• Like 5
  • Wow 1

Very nice Chip would be very interested to see your other Tsarist items especially the uniforms.   

• Like 4

The last time I saw a Russian peaked cap for other ranks, together with the Gymnastiorka was in East Berlin in 1981 in the Zeughaus Museum. The museum has completely changed since 1990 and is now a "GmbH" instead of being a national heritage, i.e., "privatised". Apart from that, it is a known fact that items tend to disappear from museums (later turning up elsewhere at auctions or sales), and nobody is the wiser.

Do post some more when you get time. I had about five original shoulder pieces of Imp. Russian officers and other ranks in the mid eighties, lucky to find, and 2 very fine gilt buttons with a London maker!  Unfortunately swapped these with another collector, who really had a marvellous collection from the WW1 period, he had over 400 field grey uniforms from WW1, plus lots of equipment etc., plus Allied, strangely enough, he did not collect Pickelhauben.
His father had been a doctor and a Marine-Stabsarzt in WW2, he himself was an officer with the Bundesmarine and studying medicine.

• Like 4

I have about fifty Tsarists officer and enlisted shoulder boards, mostly infantry, but also cavalry, artillery, etc. Most of them were shown in Johan Somer's book "Imperial Russian Field Uniforms and Equipment".

• Like 5

excellent.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Just arrived, 3 Imperial Russian tunic buttons, 21 mm, more or less matched, hollow, with makers names to the rear.
Have had these in view for quite some time, surprised they hadn't already gone. Fotos unfortunately not very clear, the buttons
have the Imperial eagle. One button has a St.Petersburg maker's name to rear, another has no maker.

100_3958.JPG

100_3959.JPG

• Like 3

I believe they would be. These examples are fine and came from a small spot in Austria, two of them have a makers details on the back.  I think some of the elite units in Russia have re-introduced the old uniforms for ceremonial dress, and there are many re-enactors in Russia. Russia is almost a monarchy again, but without a Tsar. These buttons were unbelievably cheap, and cost only 5 Euros a piece, there were only 3 on offer.

Some of the present day "Imperial" Russian regalia will undoubtedly be turning up and offered as period originals!

image.png.b90b16884662961684a04d4d565056b4.pngimage.png.42b22e5f7a64a56bcb1a4f726eafdc32.png

• Like 3

Another picture added, original from the site of the seller.

• Like 3

• 2 years later...

grafik.png.d39699a1e54129f49053f1aaa24323d7.png

• Like 4

• Fritz pinned this topic
  • 7 months later...

image.thumb.png.ee49614888c7649253b63e3dc1593aa3.png

image.thumb.png.a03e11714c5f5795c9855030de2b86e0.png

Two belt buckles, Pionier and Artillerie, ca. 1914, both without makers mark

• Like 4