Researching military records.

Ross

I am sure this should be straightforward but I have no idea where to start. I am trying to get details of my great grandfathers military record from WW1. I have his name, number and regiment. How do I go about this, what sort of info can I potentially access and what is the cost if any??

Many thanks

R

Info from his Territorial Efficiency Medal is Sgt A. Shepherd RGA 6012. The only info I have is that he was in TA artillery regiment in Scotland before being posted somewhere in France.

Any assistance much appreciated

Cheers

Ross

Here is his Medal Index Card on the National Archives Website. It will cost you £3.50 to download.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...resultcount=131

I am afraid that Ancestry.co.uk who also host the MIC's still have an update to do and he is included in that.

Service records for WWI are a great problem. The records were caught up in the Blitz during WWII and over 60% were destroyed. There are now 2 series of service records left.

The burnt records which are what they say. Papers which are fire and water damaged are very difficult to read.

The pension records. These were rebuilt from records from Other Government Departments (mainly the pensions department). They only cover troops who were entitled to a pension.

I can only find the following 3 pages. Let me know when you have downloaded them and I will delete them from the Forum. The files are large and take up much space.

G

post-11-1220186412_thumb.jpg

post-11-1220186430_thumb.jpg

post-11-1220186444_thumb.jpg

Many thanks G ! What sort of info likely to be on the Medal index card?? Is it likely to give additional info other than that already given??

Have downloaded to documents many thanks.

Hi G, can you get this info for WW2 vets? I'm thinking of my uncle Jack of the Cameronians?

Perhaps I will re-do those guides we used to have about MIC's, British Medals etc.

MIC's

They can be the most useless things in the world or a mine of information. It's luck really. As well as Name, Rank, Number and Regiment, they should show his medal entitlement, theatre entered, when entered that theatre, entitlement to Clasps and Roses, SWB entitlement etc.

Most important it tells you what Medal Roll he is on and where to find him on that Medal Roll. This can give further details, date of enlistment, which Battalion, date of leaving the service etc.

Once you have the Battalion you can then check the relevant War Diary for the period. Again some are very good and some are scant. Just depends on who was writing them at the time.

WWII Service Records

Yes, certain people can have access to WWII Service Records. The person in question or their next of kin. If your Uncle's wife is alive she can give you a letter authorising the release of his service records to you. You will also need proof of death of the person in question. This can be an obituary from the paper, notification of his funeral in the paper or a copy of his death certificate. You then need to fill out a form with as many details as possible and post the whole lot of to Kentigern House in Glasgow. Together with a small fee. The last set of records I received cost £30. You will also have to wait about 3 or 4 months. The wheels of Government turn slowly.

I would caution care when dealing with a Service Record of a loved one. You may find out information that you didn't previously know and that you didn't really want to know. If you want to pursue this let me know and I will provide proper contact details for you.

G

Hi G, your right you told me all this before , god I must be getting old :huh: it was the thing about asking my Aunt for death certificates etc that put me off.Will put the plan on hold for the moment maybe my Mum can ask her at a later date.

cheers anyway :thumbsup: