Ulanen-Regiment 15, Uniform Accessories and Epaulettes

Fritz

Schleswig-Holsteinisches Ulanen-Regiment No. 15
Commander in Chief: Generaloberst Prinz Leopold von Preussen, K.H.
Commander: Oberst von Printz
Garrison: Saarburg/Lothringen (XXI. Armeekorps)

A matching pair of Epaulettes for other ranks or n.c.o. ca. 1880-1890. These are considerably larger than later examples. Buttons of 1.Eskadron, one of which is a replacement. Traces of age and wear.

Peakless cap and Pass-Gurtel for other ranks or n.c.o. The cap has a maker's name, Uwe N.Breininger, Militair Mützen Fabrik, Saarburg i./Lothr., Lange Str.70.

The belt has a red ink stamp of U.R.15

Further photos are of a yellow Tschapka-Rabatt, which was fitted around the Tschapka throat for parade and full dress . The braid loop is for attachment of the cap-lines when worn. The Rabatt is for the older Tschapka model of 1867, which had a larger top than later models.

Uniform: Dark blue "Ulanka" with yellow facings, white metal buttons. Tschapka with white metal fitings.

The regiment formed a joint brigade together with Ulanen-Regiment 11, also based in Saarburg. The regiment was raised in 1867 and first based in Perleburg, Kyritz and Wusterhausen. After the war of 1870/71 the regiment was based in Strassburg/Elsass. In 1896 it moved to Saarburg.

In August 1914 the regiment saw duty in patrolling the frontier in Lorraine. In September it took part in the advance to Amiens and Compiègne.
After the retreat, the regiment was sent to the coast during the "race to the sea", where it saw service as dismounted infantry until December. The joint brigade then saw service till April 1915 in the Vosges and was involved in the fighting around Hartmannsweiler-Kopf. The brigade then saw service in the rear areas in Belgium.

On 15th December 1916 the brigade was sent to the Eastern Front, where it remained till the end of March 1918. It was in the line at Dünaburg and advanced to Estonia and Livland. After the return to the Western Front, the brigade was converted into a fighting unit and from May 1918 took part in the defensive battles till the end of the war. After the return home, the brigade was demobilised in Osterburg/Altmark.

The tradition of the regiment was maintained by 3rd Squadron, Reiter-Regiment No.11 in Gera.

Further illustrations of a Ulanka of U.R.15 for a one-year volunteer, very similiar to the example I once had.

image.thumb.png.47d315cc3182d2de132fa9dcddabfebb.png

image.thumb.png.edc8b4c954027341b8b8c65c0a05e402.png

Illustration by A.v.Seebach, 1885 of an Ulan (Gefreiter) of Schleswig-Holsteinisches Ulanen-Regiment 15

image.thumb.png.81ee347dcd55d402e6e36e63965345fc.png

image.thumb.png.d4bb129b6a55e87c251f6cb32fdfc891.png

image.thumb.png.ddc595a355d4b3c8a5c6172681489acf.png

image.thumb.png.0b0a8a32bc9cd1b130252ed6b0fe53ac.png

image.thumb.png.b3903ef002fe59a53c7cb968f7f0e377.png

Ulanka.15.jpg

Ulanka15.1.jpg

Ulanka15.2.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Further pictures and text added, 17.09.2016

• Like 2

very nice Paul, have you got a Tschapka that the Rabatt would fit on? Would be great to see it on the helmet.

• Like 2

The Tschapkas which I have, are all later models, as from 1895. The Rabatt is for the earlier model 1867, so it is too large for the smaller mortarboard of the later models, which are considerably smaller. If you look under headdress topics - Ulanen-Regiment 6 (for another regiment), you can see a later example fitted with a red Rabatt. I also have an earlier Rabatt in blue, but unfortunately, this doesn't fit either. For their age, they are in remarkable condition, esp. the yellow example, which is really mint, which came from an auction, almost twenty years ago. These articles are of course, extremely expensive, and are rarely found, were from old collections. I did have a matching Ulanka with epaulettes for a one-year volunteer many years ago, but I had to reduce the size of my collection, and unfortunately this was one of many items I parted with. I kept the accesssories shown.

image.thumb.png.2428504b4907022ab3cd7ec51a6f8a1b.png

image.thumb.png.d5b6fa90f5cdc6abe12e78793e0ea572.png

Ulan.6.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Further pictures added, 29. November 2016, these of Ulanen-Regiment Graf von Haeseler (2.Brandenburgisches) No. 11 - also stationed in Saarebourg and forming a joint brigade with U.R.15, almost identical uniform, except for regimental numbers, button and badge colour, which was white metal for U.R. 15 and yellow metal for U.R.11

Ulanen-Regt. 11 had been stationed in Wandsbek from 1866 till 1873.

• Like 3

Further pictures added of an example very similar to the one I had.

• Like 2