British Campaign Medals, 19th-20th Century

Fritz

Was not father and son. The WW1 military medal group was from the father of his wife.

• Like 3

New improved pictures added throughout, 19th Century, WW1 and WW2

• Like 4

Excellent Fritz, looks much better now, I have deleted the two small older pictures in the first post for you.  With the old smaller pictures you don't actually need to take new pictures, just save the old picture then re-post it again and it appears in the new  large format. I do that allot with the older posts but there are so many of them it can be quite time consuming, but it is worth it as they look much better.  

• Like 4

I usually do that, but some of the older pictures are unclear, so have made many new photos.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

grafik.thumb.png.94368e2da47e418836a5f546b7d78359.png

2 Bars for the WW2 Campaign Stars, which I got quite some time ago. They were very cheap and without any particular description.  These are of an inferior bronze, which either darkens quickly or has been artificially patinated. Around the script should be a pebbled background. Quite definitely copies. I will be on the lookout for originals, the Battle of Britain bar is difficult to find and would be expensive.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

Copies of medal cards awarded, kindly sent by a historian, see beginning of article

grafik.thumb.png.868328066621e923c653c10c14d04979.png

grafik.thumb.png.04b4906c148d3d7376ba6900607e9dc5.png

• Like 3

• Fritz pinned this topic

Just arrived

grafik.png

• Like 3

"Boots" (the chemist) were one of the places you could go post-war to have your un-named WW2, British issue, stars and campaign medals named. You handed your medals in at the chemist and specified the details you wanted impressed on each medal, Boots then sent them off and had them impressed. It looks like it cost around 3d. per impressed character.

I was told years back that part of the money raised went towards war related charities, disabled service people etc but I've never seen that confirmed.

Boots discontinued the provision of the naming service on January, 29th, 1949. 

Here's a photo of a single medal along with its "Boots" receipt for privately impressed naming. Looks like it cost 3/- total (does that mean 3 shillings? I'm old but not that old 😁).

Boots%20Receipt.jpg

• Like 4

The 3/- meant three shillings, otherwise s, pence were = d, I don't have the pounds sign on my keyboard, but I'm sure you know that, unchanged.

• Like 4

• 6 months later...

See further notes on the Carter family of Chingford with two Military Medals in each world war.

• Like 3