Fritz

German tunic buttons for the 1915 Bluse

A pair of rear tunic buttons (belt hooks) worn on the M.1915 Bluse or blouse as per the regulations of September 1915. The Bluse had at the front concealed buttons, the only insignia buttons were on the shoulder straps with a company number, the side pockets and the two over the rear vents, serving as belt hooks. These were made of zinc galvanised steel, and were finished in either grey for the previous silver colour, or brown for the previous copper bronze colour.

This set of buttons was obtained from a militaria dealer in the antiques passage in the centre of East Berlin (formerly Clara-Zetkin-Straße) in early 2006. As they are in the grey colour, they can be attributed to either 1.Foot Guards, Garde-Füsilier-Regt., 5. Garde-Regiment zu Fuß, or Garde-Pionier-Bataillon, but as the Garde-Füsilier-Regt. was stationed nearby, it is probable that they can be attributed to this regiment

N.B.: The 1915 tunic or Bluse is often incorrectly referred to as "Feldbluse" in collectors' circles. This latter term only applies to uniforms of the Weimar period and Third Reich. In official period literature this was the "Bluse". The "Bluse" replaced the previous "Waffenrock".

The 1915 pattern buttons had a brown or grey finish in place of the previous gold or silver metal colours, Tombak / Nickel

image.thumb.png.a55c3e3e63e34a266113f727852b7069.png

image.thumb.png.4c9deb75b5bd4f20c61d72647c0aa99d.png

• Like 3

There were no numbered company buttons proscribed for the Bluse.  The 18mm shoulder and hip pocket buttons were to be of the new universal crown buttons.

• Like 2

The 1910 pattern tunic had these with a 19mm rimmed button with the company number, thereafter for the Bluse, so far seen, rimless buttons with crown, 19mm (zinc)

• Like 2

Above it states that the Bluse had company numbered buttons on the shoulders. I was pointing out that this was not the case.  Also, the fieldgray and graugrün pattern tunics for enlisted men (foot troops) were the authorized by the Kaiser in 1907 (by A.K.O.) and were codified a few months later by a Kriegsministerium order. There was no 1910 enlisted pattern.  The officer's model was introduced in 1910.

• Like 2

Some examples of shoulder buttons - 19mm with crown, zinc, bronzebrown lacquered for M.15 Bluse as from September 1916, these worn only on shoulders and hip pockets.
Shoulder buttons for the first fieldgrey uniform with company or squadron numbers, these examples in white metal, 4. Kompanie or 4. Eskadron, nickel/Neusilber, more commonly in Tombak (yellow metal). More examples can be photographed at a later stage.

image.thumb.png.56e77dc923182b0dcc0012bb07718488.png

Knöpfe.JPG

• Like 2

The universal rimless crown buttons were proscribed with orders October 21, 1915. Shoulder and hip pocket buttons continued to be 18mm wide. 

• Like 2

There are also examples of the M.15 bluse with the old model buttons, these being brown or grey lacquered iron.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Fritz said:

There are also examples of the M.15 bluse with the old model buttons, these being brown or grey lacquered iron.

Yes, and I have shown such a Bluse in another thread. It is a 1916 dated Bavarian Bluse with lion buttons, instead of the authorized universal rimless crown buttons.

• Like 2

That was the Bavarian model, which however, later adopted crowned buttons similar to the Prussian model. I have a Bavarian artillery Bluse dated 1916, B.D.III, 3.Fld.Art. 1916,
with all original buttons with the lion, no further insignia, no shoulder loops and no Bavarian "Aschingerborte" to the collar.

image.png.0d0a303738f767b59086b1417b5d69f6.pngimage.png.e88b277bc559c3f1f260fe54c0a03154.png

The so-called "Aschinger" Bavarian distinction braid, as worn at collar edge.
Bright and grey field versions.

• Like 2

It is my contention is that the Bavarians just continued to use their hardware stocks on hand for the Bluse in 1916. Once this stock was depleted, they commenced with the use of the universal buttons decreed on March 1916. I have a second Bavarian Bluse dated 1917 and it has the universal crown buttons.

I would enjoy seeing your Bavarian Bluse if you are inclined to show it.

• Like 2

I intend to do this eventually, when I get around to it. At the time of manufacture these were intended to be fitted with a collar braid (for all Bavarian uniforms) with the so-called "Aschinger"-Muster (this was not an official title), this tunic has no trace of this ever being applied, and as stated before no further insignia, just the buttons to shoulders, hip pockets and above the rear skirting, and of course the side-hooks, all original fitted. There are also no shoulder loops, generally the new model shoulder straps were sewn not into the seams but adjacent to the seams, on some examples they were sewn into the shoulder seams, as with pre-war uniforms, but this can be judged as the exception. The collar is of course, fieldgrey and not resedagrün as with the Prussian examples. The universal buttons were proscribed as from January 1916, which however came into effect much later. Interesting to note, at the time of purchase by a friend of mine, original Soldbuch and Militärpaß were both in the rear pockets, but the dealer did not want to sell these, unfortunatley we only got  mere glimpse of these documents. I often wonder where they ended up, that was 1968.  I later purchased the tunic from the friend of mine. Have also a matching field cap by an Augsburg manufacturer, undated, probably 1915.

Here is a photo I took around 20 years ago, unfortunatley not too clear. The shoulder straps - F.A.R.63, are only added for the picture, the longer skirting is clearly visible, the field cap has the Reichskokarde missing, these were removed as from 9. November 1918, since rectified. There are no loops fitted.

100_3686.JPG

• Like 2

Here is a very good example of a 1915-dated  M.15 Bluse, almost identical to my example, which has been fitted with the older style fieldgrey buttons, these being in brown painted iron, replacing the same pattern previous tomback buttons. I assume these are all original fitted to the tunic, they are very correctly fitted as shown in the photo.  My own example (B.A.IX.1916) had no exteral buttons, and these I replaced with the type shown here. The tunic depicted had Gardelitzen on the collar, which were removed after 1918 and a stamp of K.B.A.G. Note the typical resedagrün collar, the Bavarian issues had a fieldgrey non-contrasting collar. Interesting to note, there are no shoulder loops on this example, or removed?
These tunics are priced well in excess of 2.500 or 3.000 Euros nowadays, and seldom without moth damage.
Last photo shows the 18mm M.1915 buttons fitted to hip pockets and shoulders, brown lacquered (tomback colour).

image.png.d0c9a7f7915252f00f50295edc21be4a.png

image.png.1dc77e072856554b62b971f7a6a37e20.png

image.png.908d0d6bb5806ed3743e3c78d648d95b.png

image.png.187dfb5e6626ad8a7bda36c89a02b952.png

image.png.4931c2f3045a4380f751f6e69aa73ecb.png

image.thumb.png.abd0d829679a89dca6f06fdd71c68402.png

• Like 2

Once again, an early dated Bluse with buttons left over from the previous pattern simplified Rock. As with my previously mentioned Bavarian Bluse, dated 1916 with lion buttons, stocks of the earlier buttons were used until supplies were exhausted. This is, more commonly seen on Bavarian jackets, so thanks for posting this. 

• Like 3

Another example with the old style buttons - here for a Gefreiter, Württemberg, 1915 dated to 124. R.

image.png.af2c53d1a6ac03c1ef56b5cd20e9553e.png

image.thumb.png.bb1f61023705d311379f0c1d4ced0ebb.png

image.png.842514fd18e4361f765725370d384965.png

• Like 2