The three Hanseatic Cities of Hamburg, Bremen and Lübeck instituted a decoration for war services in 1915. These decorations were manufactured by the Firm Fahnen Fleck in Hamburg 11 (founded 1882), which is still going strong.*

Each cross was of identical design in red enamels, silvered at the reverse, apart from the central medallion on the averse, which bore the emblem of that state. They also had different ribbons. The rear medallion bears the central date, and around it the text Für Kriegsverdienst.

The Bremen decoration in this photo is mounted on an Austrian style fold ribbon, indicating that it was received by an Austrian recipient. It has slight damage to the enamel on one of the arms of the cross.

They were equivalent of the Iron Cross 2nd Class, and were awarded to soldiers of these three cities, but also bestowed to nationals of other states.

Each decoration was awarded with a certificate personally signed by the head of that state, for Hamburg all certificates were signed by Dr. Siemsen, the Oberbürgermeister. In 1918/19 ended the history of this decoration. The Hanseatic Cities had a tradition of not making awards of any kind, this was one of the few exceptions. The Bremen decoration may be considered the rarest, that of Hamburg the most common.

*Fahnen-Fleck reportedly went into insolvency in 2018. However the factory will still carry on.

image.thumb.png.116e7cfcc4de4327713ebc48fcfce52a.png

image.thumb.png.e2a82e0c910254f73341333f78ab9f2b.png

image.thumb.png.dffacbfe1aa942cb6bd3608a1fea6886.png

• Like 4

• Fritz pinned this topic
  • 1 month later...

I have always been interested in these, wanted to get one for awhile. I have also noticed the fakes are starting to flood the market now. 

• Like 4

The Hamburg ones are not hard to find, Bremen and Lübeck are not so common, and cost quite a bit more. The Hamburg examples used to go for around 50-60 Euros,
now they cost a bit more.

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

I do like the Hanseatic Cross. Here are two groups with crosses to Hamburg. Interestingly one has the Colonial Medal too.

263038473_480095433426895_6473220927000962157_n.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 months later...

I did finally manage to find a nice one, Hamburg version. Most of the ones I have seen recently seem to have damage such as chips, cracks and missing portions to the red enamel sections. 

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

• Like 3

You finally got one, congratulations! Next ones are the Lübecker and the Bremer, these cost quite a bit more, as they are rarer. There are also known examples of the Hamburger in real silver and better quality. I had one years ago, and didn't appreciate it, later exchanging it for something else. Was a mistake.

• Like 3

07007q00-630x_.jpg

Hanseatenkreuz Hamburg, real silver, note different ring type, case is probably not original to the decoration. Brought 850,- at an auction. Case was a white carton with silver impressed Hamburg emblem.

Hanseatenkreuz online kaufen | eBay

• Like 3