Metal Pointy Things

Graeme

I have been tidying up and have just found a CD-R with images of all (or nearly all) the things that have passed through my hands over the last few years. I thought I would post some up.

First up:

1888 Pattern Bayonet

post-11-1217969315_thumb.jpg

post-11-1217969323_thumb.jpg

post-11-1217969332_thumb.jpg

post-11-1217969340_thumb.jpg

post-11-1217969350_thumb.jpg

post-11-1217969359_thumb.jpg

Great Items. The French one is a Gras Rifle Bayonet. It is not matching numbers to the scabbard but still is nice. The correct term for the blade type is a T-back. This gave the blade a light weight and long length but with incredibly strength.

The British 1888 is fantastic. The remarks on it clearly show the entire history of the bayonet. I'd love such an example in my collection! I'm off for 2 weeks starting today (to get married actually) but when I get back will post the breakdown of what the blade markings mean.

Is the Luftwaffe dagger providenced as original?

Know what, I have the time to twiddle about before the plane so I'll just define the markings now for fun...

In order provided from I.D. Davidson's Bayonet Markings book from the 1970s:

A) Reign Mark - VR with crown, this is a Victoria Era produced bayonet

B) Pattern Date - hard to read this through the stamping, We know it is a 1888 bayonet though

C) Acceptance Date - 3, 94 meaning March 1894 it entered service

D) Re-acceptance mark - marks each time it re-entered service, we have 1895, 1898, 1909, 1931, 1958... LOTS of history here

E) Broad Arrow Stamp - blade was accepted by the government for use

F) WD - War Department mark showing WD acceptance

G) X - bend mark for blade bend test shows the convex side of the bend test

H) View Mark - Crown 35 W shows there it was viewed for quality. There are tons of these codes, I'm not sure which one is shown here.

I) Condemned mark - not present

J) Obsolete mark - not present

K) Cancel Mark - seen on scabbard markings that are crossed otu showing redistribution to new units

L) Conversion date - not present

M) re-test mark - not present

N) Drill Arm - denotes used for drill only, not present

There are some other marks I've not seen before but I usually don't collect British items so don't take them as super rare. The Scabbard marks tell you the unit it was issued to. Anyone want to guess what they are?

The Scabbard marks tell you the unit it was issued to. Anyone want to guess what they are?

I would hazard a guess at The Cheshire Regiment.

Is the Luftwaffe dagger providenced as original?

A couple of people have looked at it and said it was original.

G

Dagger looks good from the photos, the photos are excellent too , did you use macro ?

perhaps we should have a photography thread , I'm always having problems with the camera we have especially when trying to photo decals . :angry:

No, just a standard 18-55.

That would be good. I am always looking for tips. Although I am improving. I understand that some of my Photo's of the KOSB Parade last year are going to be published in a book.