Württemberg Cavalry Sword M.89, relic parts

Fritz

Got this complete set of hilt relics of a Württemberg Kavallerie-Degen M.1889 many years ago from a Hamburg dealer. I found them rather fascinating, and took a long time to decide to go for them. They weren't cheap, but all complete and could be restored with carefull cleaning, but have decided for the moment to leave them as they are. Only the blade and scabbard are missing. The vulcan fibre grip (here hard plastic), which is a limited edition copy, but identical to the original, I got later from a wheel and deal man in Berlin. I heard he had a few left and I phoned him up, and was lucky to catch him with the last one. No more left! If attempted, this would fit perfectly, as the whole set is a private purchase type, in solid nickel silver - normally in iron, which would not have survived. I am tempted to think this set was ground dug somewhere. It could have well been buried with the wearer, as this used to be the custom, the person in uniform and helmet and sword on the coffin, and after 30-40 years....?

The basket hilt bears the crowned and helmeted crest of the Kingdom of Württemberg, which is still in perfect order.

This sword would be from one of the four Württemberg cavalry regiments:

Dragoner-Regiment Königin Olga No.25 in Ludwigsburg
Dragoner-Regiment König No.26 in Cannstatt
Ulanen-Regiment König Karl No.19 in Ulm
Ulanen-Regiment König Wilhelm I. No.20 in Ludwigsburg

post-173-0-90861600-1466284338_thumb.jpg

post-173-0-68870600-1466284352_thumb.jpg

post-173-0-35911000-1466284365_thumb.jpg

post-173-0-39293400-1466284382_thumb.jpg

• Like 2