61. Inf.-Div., Iron Cross citation, 1939

Fritz

A citation - Verleihungsurkunde of Iron Cross 2nd class 1939 awarded in late 1939 to Gefreiter Erwin Tiedtke of Stab, III.Btl. Infanterie-Regt. 162, which was raised in Summer 1939 in East Prussia. The document was written in Eschweiler in the West in November 1939 and signed by the Divisional Commander Generalleutnant Siegfried Haenicke. The document has unfortunately punch holes and slightly folded, otherwise in top condition.

No further information on Tiedtke. Generalleutnant Haenicke bacame a prisoner of war with the Russians in 1945, and was interned in the Russian Sonderlager Mühlenberg in Thüringen, where he died in 1946.

Urkunde.EK2.jpg

• Like 4

Nice early EK doc 61st Inf. Div was active in northern Poland when this was awarded. Dec '39 they were in Cologne. Stewy

• Like 4

Could be a late award for the Polish campaign, or even for some small skirmish at the Front near Eschweiler, during the "Sitzkrieg" or "phoney war phase". There are some good general infos in "Lexikon der Wehrmacht" in the net.

• Like 3

Yes it is for the Polish campaign, re-read my post. Northern Poland. My earliest is 9th October '39. Nice signature on your example. Stewy

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

I'm sorry but may I ask where you found this document? My grandfathers name was Erwin Tiedtke he died in 2017. But I'm not sure if he was the person that got this document 

• Like 4

This was found in an antiques shop in Altona about four or five years ago.

• Like 2