Jump to content

Wandsbeker Geschichtsstein


Recommended Posts

This large stone or ice-age boulder was errected in the late 1930s at a central place in the middle of Wandsbek Markt, and tells the history of the town since it's first mention in middle ages chronicals till about 1938. After the war, a part of the inscription was partly erased and the stone has been moved several times since. It now stands at the edge of the Wandsbeker Gehölz, facing the Market Place.


The second picture shows a bronze statue on a fountain basin, which was donated by Bürgermeister Puvogel at the beginning of the 20th Century. This stands on the old Wandsbek market place and opposite the Christuskirche and churchyard, the site, where the Geschichtsstein stood for several years. The bronze statue was titled "Fortuna" and also sometimes known as "Der Frühling" (Spring). The building in the background is the Wandsbeker Bezirksamt and Rathaus. town hall and district offices, photo from 2005.













  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 7 months later...

Further pictures added, 10. February 2017

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

The stone in its present condition. It was recently daubed with brown paint by somebody. It will take quite a while, a lot of red tape and a considerable sum of money to clean it.






  • Like 3
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

Wandsbek Markt, 1930, aerial view
A recent digital perception in its present state and a photo of the Wandsbeker Marktstraße in 2008





2008, view from West to East.


The Wandsbeker Markstrasse in 1880 view from East to West, formerly known as the Hamburger Strasse.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

Further pictures of and around Wandsbek


Danish coat of arms, sandstone, pre 1861, once decorated the front of the former Wandsbeker Schloß, stood for many years in the Eichtalpark, subject to wind and rain and vandalism. Now in the central hall of the Bezirksamt Wandsbek.


The original Wandsbeker Schloß, the Wandse Burg, built 1564 by Hinrich von Ranzow.


The later Wandsbeker Schloß, built 1762 by Heinrich Carl v. Schimmelmann. Broken up in 1861.


The original Schloß-Park by Carl Gottlob Horn, 1767/8


The fountain donated by Bürgermeister Puvogel in 1907.



The bust of Carl Graf von Schimmelmann was removed after complaints and active protests from the African Community
Schimmelmann served the Danish Crown and was allegedly involved in slave trading to America as well as owning an arms factory, + 1782 in Copenhagen. His Mausoleum stands to the rear of the church in Wandsbek Markt.


The bust of Tycho Brahe, Danish Astronomer, lived and worked in the Wandsbeker Schloß


The bust of Hinrich Ranzow (Heinrich Rantzau) in the Puvogel Gardens, Wandsbek Markt
During the 16th Century Rantzaus Estate covered most of the area that is today the town of Wandsbek


The Schimmelmann Mausoleum, built ca. 1799-1801


Wandsbek Markt - these two lions once flanked the Palais Schimmelmann in Hamburg, later placed before the Wandsbeker Schloß, which was later demolished in 1861. These copies were errected several years ago for the redesign of the centre of Wandsbek Markt and the new bus station and underground.


Several sandstone vases once belonged to the exterior decoration of the Wandsbeker Schloß. They originally came from Dresden. When the Schloß was demolished in 1861, they were set up in the decorative garden park which once was a central part of Wandsbek Markt. Two of these can now
be seen in gardens bordering the bus station.


Commerative Stone to Matthias Claudius on the edge of the Wandsbeker Gehölz


Another example of ugly modern art, this is dedicated to Matthias Claudius, sighted on the former Churchyard, Wandsbek,
toned bronze with some gilding.


A portrait of Matthias Claudius, original publisher of the Wandsbecker Bothe  (Heimatmuseum Reinfeld)


A BRD postage stamp from 1990 commemorating Matthias Claudius.


Gravesite of Matthias ( +1815) and Rebecca Claudius at the Wandsbek Old Churchyard.
The crosses are of iron and were recently restored


Another interpretation of modern art, "Der Ehrensprung" depicts Matthias Claudius;
"entartete Kunst", they used to say!


The church in Meiendorf (zu Wandsbek) has a far better example!


A modern sculpture, "Die Zeitungslesende" by Bernd Stöcker can also be seen in Wandsbek Markt, this was set up just a few years back


Das Wandsbeker Gehölz in an early 19th Century lithograph, view towards Hamburg



Das Wandsbeker Gehölz today, vues générales


This statue of a Roman warrior - Römischer Krieger - once stood in the Wandsbeker Gehölz. Now in the inner courtyard of the
Museum für Hamburgische Geschichte.


Former historical Landratsamt in Schloßgarten, completed around 1872, in use till 1937.  The Landrat of Stormarn was appointed by the Crown.


More modern art, in a quiet street behind Wandsbek Markt


A bronze statue in the Litzowstraße


A bronze group of figures in the Bärenallee


The Wandsbeker "Doppelkirche", ca. 1800. To the rear, the older part from 1634. Foreground, the part by Johann August Arens.


The second church, rebuilt and completed around 1800, behind which is the Mausoleum of Graf Schimmelmann


Destruction in the fire of 1896.


The neo-gothic Christuskirche completed in 1898.


A postwar photo of the Christuskirche of 1898. The tower had been burned out during the war and was later demolished.


Part of the church was demolished in the 1950s to make way for traffic development and the new tower built


The interior of the church pre-war, and today


Silver Altar Relief, "Die Grablegung Christi" by Johannes Lencker d.Ä. from Nürnberg and dating from 1625, is kept in the Christuskirche at Wandsbek Markt. This is one of the few items of cultural heritage on the list of the  Denkmalamt Hamburg. A copy is on display at the Heimatmuseum.


Grenzstein in the Hammer Straße marks the old boundary between Hamburg and Prussia. Restored and re-set last year


Wandsbek S-Bahnhof, little changed, with connections to Hamburg, Ahrensburg, Bad Oldesloe and Lübeck. The station building is now use as a restaurant and Beer garden. Old postcard.



One of the Danish milestones dating from 1843 at Tonndorf, another from Meiendorf, just a few kilometres away. There are several in the vicinity.



Jewish Cemetery, Wandsbek-Königsreihe


Amtsgericht Wandsbek, Schädlerstraße


A house dating from 1893 in Küsterkamp


Luftschutzbunker, von-Hein-Straße


Bovehaus. Christian Bove, Kaufmann, 1861


Ahrensburger Straße - one of the main entrances to the Eichtalpark. Within the complex is an old house with Restaurant Eichtal, which offers good traditional German dishes at a reasonable price, one of the few remaining German restaurants in Hamburg. The Spinxes once adorned the entrance of the former Palais Schimmelmann in Hamburg.


Moltke Denkmal on the Ahrensburger Straße, opposite the Eichtalpark entrance.




The Botanical Gardens in the Eichtalpark, 3 photos


A former stately home in Ölmühlenweg 33


Grenzstein - a former border stone between Hamburg and the estate of Hinrich Ranzow dating from 1573
Situated at the corner of Mühlenstraße and Eilbeker Weg 199



  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Fritz pinned this topic

and Wandsbek Markt on 22. June 2017, weather looks a bit changeable...


Click symbol at right for sound!


  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 6 months later...

Wandsbek - Events aktuell

New "Schützenkönig" in Wandsbek, Herbert Brust also known as "Onkel Hebbi" (centre of first photo),
has made his comeback and regained his status again after 41 years - a marksman with an air rifle
He has been a member of the "Wandsbeker Schützengilde von 1637"for well over 40 years.




  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

Der Grenzstein (links liegend) und die beiden Steinbänke

Eine der Säulen

Foto: Ajepbah (Wikipedia)  | Grenzsteine, Säulen und Steinbänke auf dem Grünstreifen in der Mitte der Hammer Straße in Hamburg-Marienthal  | Lizenz: CC-BY-SA

Column, border stones and a stone bank recently rediscovered in the Hammer Straße.
Matthias Claudius is reported to have frequently sat on the stone bank.
These have been reinstalled and can be seen in the lower part of the
Hammer Straße.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...