Help ID this round please.

All I know about this round is that it was found in field in France. Anyone clarify what weapon it was used in and nationality??

Cheers

Ross

post-41-1217597373_thumb.jpg

Looks like it might be a 303 but I'll leave this one to Greg, munitions are not my strong point.

actually looks a bit long for a 303,

Ross just click "browse" add picture,then " upload" , then continue to do this until all your pictures are uploaded then click add reply. If you click manage attachments you can also remove pictures from the list too.

any problems just let me know.

Dipped if I know but will consult some sources tomorrow and see what I can find. Doesn't strike me as German (K98 Mauser took a 8mm bullet that is 2.24" long, the above is longer), might.... extreme might.... be US 30cal by the length. The lack of a large ring on the base make me think it is belt fed, also because a 3" long case is big..... but these are only guesses. No chance of determining any stamps on the base is there?

Spent too much time on the net looking into this round. In my ignorant opinion it looks kinda like a MK108 cannon shell but look to my learned friends for further clarification.

• 4 weeks later...

Chaps,

still begging some assistance with this one. Can anyone confirm or deny my initial tentative ID??

Many thanks

Ross

Wikipedia article on the cannon:

The cannon used specially-developed 30x90RB mm ammunition—30 mm calibre, 90 mm case length, rebated/reduced rim. Unlike most other weapon rounds, which used traditional brass for the case, the MK 108's ammunition used steel cases. Several types of ammunition were developed, including practice, armour-piercing, high-explosive and incendiary. In operation, however, two major ammunition types were used: Minengeschoß ('mine-shell') high-explosive and incendiary. The Minengeschoß was made by drawn steel (the same way brass cartridges are made) instead of being forged and machined as was the usual practice for cannon shells. This resulted in a shell with a thin but strong wall, which hence had a much larger cavity in which to pack a much larger explosive or incendiary charge than was otherwise possible. The incendiary rounds were also often fitted with a hydrostatic fuse, which detonated when it came in contact with liquid. This was to ensure that the round did not merely explode on the target aircraft's skin (which would cause little damage), but instead penetrated it and exploded when it came into contact with fuel or coolant inside the fuel tanks or radiators respectively.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MK_108_cannon

• 2 weeks later...