David Cecil Alexander Purdy, RAAF

Fritz

This is a pre-war photo of David Cecil Alexander Purdy, born Belfast and with his parents emigrated pre-war to Australia, a cousin of my mother.

He served with 6th Squadron Royal Australian Air Force untill September 1939, at the time in Southern England. And there ends his service record. Little more is known. If anyone has any further information, I would be pleased to hear.

post-173-0-18553200-1466083298.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
  • Kenny Andrew pinned this topic

Do you have any more information? Have searched the internet, apart from that I haven't found any more till now. That's about all I know.

Purdy, David Alexanader Cecil, RAAF

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/101056360

Nepean Times, Penrith, 8.Dec.1938

"DOG FIGHT"

'Plane Crash at Llandilo

FLYING TOO LOW?

THE inquest into the death of Sergt.-Pilot Pomeroy, which took place when his 'plane crashed at Llandillo on 14th June was continued at Penrith on Tuesday and concluded at Hornsby yesterday. Mr G. R. Williams, the Parramatta district coroner, found that Pomeroy was killed following a dog fight by two R.A.A.F. machines, which, he was satisfied, were flying at an altitude much lower than that allowed by the regulations. He said that he did not think that there was any culpable negligence shown by either pilot. This inquest was opened by Mr Arthur Judges, then Penrith coroner, a

few weeks after the accident, and he took formal evidence of the wife of deceased and adjourned the inquiry.

It was not continued till Tuesday of this week, being held at Penrith Court House. Yesterday's evidence was

taken by Mr Williams, at Hornsby. Several local residents gave evidence. Thomas Alexander Nicholls, farm

labourer, of Llandillo, said that about 3.30 p.m. on June 14 he saw three aeroplanes. One flew toward Sydney,

and the other two commenced stunting." I was expecting to see the two planes crash into one another," he

continued. '' The lower plane collided with a tree, and just before it did so,  the top plane went straight into the air, turned over, and came down nose first, forcing the lower plane down to

within 30 feet of the treetops. It repeated this performance." James Alexander Mills, woodcutter said that when the planes appeared to be over a cultivation paddock, the last attack in what appeared to be a

mock fight was made on the plane that crashed. At that stage, witness was of opinion that the height of both

planes was unsafe for "stunting," although they appeared to be handled perfectly.

David Cecil Alexander Purdy (27) rigger, attached to the RA.A.F., and at present a patient at the Prince of

Wales Hospital, who was in Pomeroy's plane, was accompanied to the court by a nurse. "We were returning to

the aerodrome when we met another Hawker Demon," he said. "We were then at a height of 5,000 or 6,000 feet.

We commenced what is termed a 'dog fight.' The first indication I had that anything was amiss was a hot feeling

coming on to me from the starboard side. I noticed that my clothing was alight." Wing-Commander Douglas Ernest

Lancelot Wilson, officer commanding No. 4 Squadron, R.A.A.F., said that Durant was a pilot above the average,

of temperate habits, and careful at all times. Sergeant Pomery was also a careful pilot.'' It is obvious to a pilot when his 'opponent' has gained a tactical advantage which might lead

to his destruction in real combat," added witness, '' but there is certainly no mock air combat to my knowledge

which visualises one pilot endeavouring to force another to the ground. It is easy for the lower craft to manoeuvre out of the way of another by simply turning. It is absurd to suggest that

one machine was forced down to within a few feet of the ground. I think Pomery may have temporarily lost

control and may have stalled his machine.'' At the hearing at Hornsby yesterday Wing-Commander Hewitt, of the

R.A.A.F. Station, Richmond, referring to various civilian witnesses who gave evidence at the inquest, said; "They

appeared to have no idea of judging height at all. The surrounding trees appeared to confuse them. At one

moment a plane would come over at a thousand feet, and they would say the height was 200 feet. It was ridicu-

lous." The mock aerial combat which preceded the crash had taken place not less than 1600 feet from the ground,

said Hewitt. In giving his verdict of accidental death the coroner stated that It would appear that Rigger Purdy could have escaped with only minor injuries. The evidence showed that he suffered ter-

rible injuries to his face in his attempts to rescue his plot from the burning plane.

The Coroner also praised James Alexander Mills, woodcutter, of Llandilo, for his action in tearing the

burning flying suit from Purdy and restraining him from making another attempt to rescue Pomery.

Mr Williams added that, in his opinion, the aircraft flown by Pomery was in good order, and that all the neces-

sary steps had been taken by officers of the R.A.A.F. to see that it was airworthy and safe.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
DEATH DURING
26TH. OPERATION
SYDNEY, Wednesday.-Aircraftsman
David Cecil Alexander Purdy (29), who
was injured when an R.A.A.F. aeroplane
crashed at Llandillo on June 14, 1938. died
a fortnight ago in thc Prince of Wales
military hospital, Randwick, while under-
going his 26th operation since the acci-
dent. The City Coroner (Mr. Oram) found
today that Purdy had died under the
anaesthetic, that the anaesthetic was prop-
erly administered, and that every possible
effort to restore animation had been made

Source: National Library of Australia, Newspapers: The Mercury, Hobart, 24.Oct.1940

Hawker Demon A1-51 Mk1

1936           One of 36 Mk.I Fighter aircraft (modified for Army Co-operation) under RAAF Order O.I. 452 of 1936. Manufactured by Hawker Aircraft Limited at their Wolverhampton factory in West Midlands, and shipped to Australia in November 1936.

16Nov36     Arrived in crates at Pitman Wharf, Sydney on board the 18,000 ton Commonwealth Line ship SS Jervis Bay.

30Nov36    Received by No 2 Aircraft Depot (2AD) RAAF Base Richmond, NSW for assembly. Kestrel engine K8939 fitted.

25May37    Allocated to No 4 (GR) General Reconnaissance Squadron at RAAF Base Richmond, NSW.

27May37    Allocation cancelled. Reallocated to No 3 Squadron at RAAF Richmond NSW.

23Sep37    Airscrew pierced by bullet.

26Feb38    Lightly touched A1-50 when practicing formation flying, Wing tip damaged.

20Apr38    Taxied into by A1-50. Both aircraft suffered minor damage to wings.

14Jun38     Aircraft was practicing aerial combat near Llandillo, NSW when it became too low and struck a large tree about 40ft from the ground at Llandillo eight miles S of Richmond. The aircraft then crashed and burst into flames. Despite frantic rescue attempts by the observer, the pilot SGT Ralph Dunstan Pomery (26) married of Windsor NSW was burnt to death. The observer AC1 David Cecil Alexander Purdy (28) tried unsuccessfully on several occasions to rescue his pilot suffering horrific burns in the process. AC1 Purdy never recovered from his injuries and died from his burns some 28 months later in the Randwick Repatriation Hospital, Sydney.

SGT Pomery is buried in the Dudley Park Cemetery, Adelaide SA.

17Jun38     Airframe and engine recovered by 2AD staff. Airframe dumped and engine placed into repairable store.

11Nov38     Airframe approved for write-off and engine for salvage. Air Board Agenda 2293 of 1938.

14Jan39     Converted to components and Engine K8939 converted to Instructional Kestrel.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 19/02/2018 at 03:50, Dianne said:

This is my Grandfather. If you search his name on line you will get several articles about his death. 

Have further searched, but not found any more.

image.png.cd1252f49b8e3b60fc19b3d996b4ab56.png

This was his cousin, Clara Margretta Gregg, 26. October 1910 - 23. January 1999

image.thumb.png.af92c4471ec7d087dff4063102433c1a.png

his other cousin, Florence Isabella Gregg, 1908 - 1979, in photo with her husband, John St. Claire Clarke.

AlaGregg.Sr..jpg

A further cousin, Alan Gregg, 1906 - 1973,

image.thumb.png.479fa6aee707a045452b43bb39a9fce6.png

My cousin Angela Morwood, geb. Gregg with her husband Bassett, ca. 1961

GreggKinder.jpg

The Gregg children:
Clara Margetta, my mother, Alice, Alan and Florence. Josephine died shortly after birth, 1913

GrTanteMargaret.jpg

and their Aunt Margaret, who later emigrated to Australia.

image.thumb.png.750c833093f01f67d4745d2563a4b3e2.png

Willi Gregg, an uncle of my mother, missing on the Somme, c. 1. July 1916

image.thumb.png.23c9b83182dd86ad56a9b49d7016deba.png

My Grandfather, Merchant in Belfast, deceased, 16.12.1910

image.thumb.png.b8e438d4d1d155cb721c10cf7db1cd10.png

Family crest

image.thumb.png.a58f08d712df68a7d2c83538d0f9ce7b.png

My father with his mother in Australia, ca. 1916

image.png.d51907c95fa20f157b87c80115c36f72.png

My Father after successfully completing one of his state exams, June 1940

image.thumb.png.c5da4c747a5c7cd43ec23a1742b1ecf2.png

The Pharmacy, ca. 1958

image.png.dc0ce8f0dcabf15f61a93f127328e6bd.png

The Pharmacy, ca. 1975

image.thumb.png.45889b513857a4e7071e17093200bca7.png

My father's cousin Dutchie Torney  (von Strauß u. Torney), could almost be a filmstar

image.thumb.png.ce9ce4e0924b117658911468239e142c.png

Fritz, ca. 1958

image.png.8dc7c4cba14371b339accf2fb2f6ea1e.png

image.thumb.png.8d0fcc87cf393efaca0e8cc67e7302c2.png

and the last of the few, photo, early Summer 1968, and Autumn 1971

• Like 2

New pictures added

• Like 2