German wartime adverts of companies still in business today

Fritz

Wartime Advert for Daimler Benz Aerial Engines

Featured in DIE WEHRMACHT

Photographed several years ago from the remanis of a magazine DIE WEHRMACHT, dating from around early 1940, which survived the war and remained in possession of Neusüß family. This page shows an advertisement and full ´page feature for Daimler Benz aerial engines, in the background is an early Heinkel He 111.

post-173-0-41486500-1462617309_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

I find it very interesting when looking through these old wartime magazines to see all the companies that were active during the Third Reich that are still in business today. Here's an advert for Uhu glue from 1944.

uhu.jpg

• Like 2

The tube looks much the same as today, probably now a different composition.

• Like 3

This is a good idea for a thread Paul ,lets see if we can find any more , here's another good one from 1941 , bet most people didn't realise Fanta was the Third Reich version of Coca Cola.

fanta1.jpg

fanta2.jpg

• Like 2

You also had original Coca Cola during the Reich - I have a photo from 1942, and in the background there is an original Coca Cola sign, opposite a sign for a dental practice. This photo is presumably from the Harz, possibly Goslar, as there are two Gebirgsjäger (Karl Heinz Klatt) standing in the doorway. Fanta is only an alternative to Coca Cola, with an orange composition, not the same, but also available today. After the war, Max Schmeling in Hamburg got the sole distribution rights from the US for Coca Cola Germany. Max Schmeling was a famous boxer, who won against Joe Lewis, and became a LW paratrooper during the war. He passed away sometime around 2004, and is buried in Hollenstedt. He was married to the famous Hungarian actress Anni Ondra, who died before him. Schmeling almost reached 100.

Another good example is the Ehrenrangliste des Ehemaligen Deutschen Heeres 1914-18, published in 1926 by E.S.Mittler & Sohn, Berlin, which has all WW1 officers listed, showing casualties, etc. Towards the end of the book, are some very interesting commercial adverts, also for officers outfitters, etc. A book absolutely worth possessing, espcc. for WW1 historians, etc. I paid around 250 D-Mark in the mid 1990s for my copy.

• Like 3

I used to have a signed photo of Max Schmeling ,here are some pictures of him as paratrooper, boxer and Coca Cola boss. Also adverts from the 1936 Olympics for Coca Cola.

coke advert.jpg

coke advert3.jpg

coke advert4.jpg

coke advert5.jpg

coke advert6.jpg

coke avert2.jpg

coke avert3.jpg

• Like 2

Lucky for him, he injured his back during a practice jump, so that he couldn't take part in the Kreta campaign, otherwise he may not have been so fortunate in surviving the war. The second last photo shows him with his wife, Anni Ondra and Hitler.

• Like 3