Royal Navy listing of their WW2 ships

stewy

Hi folks, is there an easy definitive site of all RN ships that took part in WW2? I've only found sites like Wikipedia & they're awful. Is there an official site? In particular I'm after all ships starting with the letter "R". Particularly Flower class (Corvette). Many thanks, Stewy

• Like 2

I've not come across one Stewy , Colin is usually pretty good at finding lists

• Like 2

Hi Stewy, try U-boat.Net which has a very good listing of Flower Class ships

• Like 2

I've tried it & couldn't really find what I'm looking for. I'll have to wait until I get the sailors letters to back home. I'm hoping that I can get to the bottom of an interesting story of a sailors career. Thanks folks. Stewy

• Like 3

Cheers Greg, thanks to you I could be on to something. It's all to do with my mates dad (my mate's 71). His dad took an ensign from a locker on a U-Boot, that his ship collared in a Norwegian port. And a French bayonet he picked up at Dunkirk, which he had to use to stop members of the B.E.F from getting on his ship. Sounds harsh, but they were overloaded. He was in the convoy that was attacked by the first Henschel bomb (at least that's what we believe) & he served on HMS Gambia in the Pacific. Where he lost half his calf muscle when it was hit by a Kamikaze. He was a "Pom-Pom" gunner at the time. A lot's a bit sketchy a present, until my mate digs out some of the letters home. Some dark history too, but i'm not sure I can divulge that. I've had the ensign in my possession & the bayonet too. More info as I get it. Stewy

• Like 5

Sounds very interesting Stewy especially the dark history , if your allowed to divulge the dark history, you could always post it in the mod forum first. I know of some dark history too told to me by a British Commando.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update. With the sites Greg supplied & U-Boot.net. The ship my mates dad was on, was HMS Moyola. Whilst on a U-Boat hunt off Cape Ortegal starting on 23 Aug '43 they were attacked by 14 Dorniers & 7 JU-88's armed with the new Henschel guided bomb. Moyola wasn't hit but HMS Bideford was with several sailors injured & one killed. Plenty more to come regarding the sailors career. I'll post it as I get it & research it. I've just picked up a wehrpass to a member of Kampfgeschwader 40 who used the Henschel Hs 293 guided bomb. Stewy

• Like 5