Luftwaffe Radio Operator Badge

Fritz

Luftwaffe Badge for qualified Radio Operator, known as Bordfunkerabzeichen, or sometimes as Fliegerschützenabzeichen mit Blitzbündel. This example by C.E.Juncker, Berlin SW. The badge is an earlier make of so-called German Silver or Neusilber and in fine quality by this premium maker of long standing. Later examples were made of Zink. Introduced on 26th March 1936 for qualified personnel, it was also awarded to unqualified personnel, who had distinguished themselves in action over so many missions. This was also awarded to flight mechanics and air gunners until December 1941, when a new badge without the lightning strokes was introduced

Bordfunker2.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

and here is a nice cloth version of this badge, as worn on everyday dress, such as the Fliegerbluse.

Bordfunker.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Very nice! I always liked the luftwaffe badges...

• Like 4

There is a story behind these badges... his name is under the topic above, if you click on this, you can see all the posts about him.

• Like 3

Great story, very detailed. Thanks for letting me know Fritz.

• Like 4

Yes, I wish I knew more, but unfortunately, he died in August 2009 and his daughter died suddenly just 2 weeks later, his former wife (daughter's mother) died almost 2 years later the grandchildren just don't want to know, and hate "nazis".  All very sad state of affairs over here, you just can't breathe a word about anything anymore, unless it is "mainstream".  I hope to find out more about his service record in due time, there is a large archive in Berlin, where hopefully most of the records have survived.  I have tried to reconstruct his vita as well as possible...

• Like 4

Wish you best of luck on that endeavor. Preserving history is important, no matter what side a soldier fought on. Their experiences and stories can help educate and enlighten future generations. It seems here in the US anyway history is getting re-written to show only positive aspects. All sides need to be known, positive, negative, neutral, etc. Just my opinion...

• Like 4