Wehrmacht Heer M.35, M.40 and M.42 Helmets

Kenny Andrew

In this thread you can post your German army helmets, this came in today, captured during a commando raid. 

A very nice example of an Army single decal M40 helmet.Almost 100% of decal remaining and most paint to helmet shell which is stamped SE64 and serial numbered 852 complete with ink dome stamp.Liner in excellent condition size stamped 56 with original drawstring and chinstrap which has a period repair. Not only is this one of the nicest helmets we have come across but on closer inspection we noticed the writing STORD. 23/24 Jan 1943 written to the front of the helmet in yellow pencil. Upon further research we found the significance of this name and date and it is in fact a British Commando Raid. In the raid three German soldiers were captured, it is very likely this helmet belonged to one of them. Also written on the liner is the name 3391171 Taylor we have not been able to research this name and number but we think it is very likely this is the name of the British Commando who brought it back , if this could be proved it would make the helmet even more desirable. The helmet was brought in by a relative of the original owner unfortunately she knew nothing of the relatives past however we think most likely he was a Commando.

Operation Cartoon DATE: Night 23-24.01.43 LOCATION: Stord UNIT(S): 10,12 Cdos NUMBERS: 63

DESCRIPTION: A complete success, this operation’s aim was to destroy the pyrite mine on the island of Stord near Leirvik. Members of 12 Cdo were accompanied by 10 men from the Norwegian troop of 10 (IA) Cdo under Captain Harald Risnes, 7 MTB’s of the 30th (Royal Norwegian Navy) MTB flottila were used as transport. Half the force were landed at Sagvåg quay and engaged the defending German positions there whilst the remainder were landed on the other side of the bay. The mine which was 2 miles away was reached in 25 minutes by the men who were carrying 50lbs of explosives each. The charges were set and the mine put out of action for a year. Meanwhile 3 of the MTB’s went on to Leirvik in search of shipping but found none. However on the way back a ship was attacked and left in a sinking condition, mines were also laid. The raid netted 3 German prisoners as well as a quantity of papers and equipment, this was achieved for the loss of 1 commando killed, 2 commando’s and 8 sailors injured.

raidhelmet.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 year later...

These are a rare thing to get in origional condition,i got this from a guy who got it 30 odd years ago when he was a young lad, he got it from a village hall auction in norfolk for £10 with a bayonet,its complete with chinstrap ,liner,drawstring,and domestamp, it was a d/d but the tri has been painted over, rgds Dave 

wired.jpg

• Like 4

Nice helmet David! Those were the days!!! Wish I had made more of them at the time.

• Like 3

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Here is one of my m35 helmets has a maker stamp SEst 64 am i right in thinking the maker is Sachsische Emaillier-und Stanzwerke. It still has its M31 tan leather liner whitch also is maker stamped into the leather and dated 1931, i believe the liner its self is scarce but not rare.

post-3823-1298930729.jpg

post-3823-1298930684.jpg

post-3823-1298930777.jpg

post-3823-1298930813.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Colin, yes SE stands for Sächsische Emaillier und Stanzwerke A.G. 

• Like 2

kenny andrew said:
Hi Colin,yes SE stands for Sächsische Emaillier und Stanzwerke A.G.

Thanks Kenny is there any way of stopping the rust getting worse than it is.

• Like 3

I've always used Gun Barrel Grease for bayonets and it works well on blueing, however again not the best item for painted metal.

A thought might be a Silicon impregnated cleaning cloth, you can get these from gun shops that are suppose to clean and protect the metal. Silicon I *think* would not both the paint but I'd have to do more research on this and give it a try on something, it would only work on light rust and further prevention, nothing heavy.

Really it probably is more a matter of stabilizing rust and preventing further, which is more how and where you store it.

• Like 3

Greg said:
I've always used Gun Barrel Grease for bayonets and it works well on blueing, however again not the best item for painted metal.

A thought might be a Silicon impregnated cleaning cloth, you can get these from gun shops that are suppose to clean and protect the metal. Silicon I *think* would not both the paint but I'd have to do more research on this and give it a try on something, it would only work on light rust and further prevention, nothing heavy.

Really it probably is more a matter of stabilizing rust and preventing further, which is more how and where you store it.

Thanks greg i keep them in a glass display cabinet i also have a ss single decal m35 by the same maker ive tried to preserve this one in the past by using weldtite tf2 lubricant spray with teflon i use it on the car dashboard as well seems to work for a time.

• Like 3

• 2 years later...

Hi,  is probably a little late but You should not do anything with the helmet. If the helmet is untouched then leave it that way.

even if there are some rust, one the helmet i wound not done anything, because tampering with the helmet would affect the value of it

But thats my opinion

• Like 4

Yes I stopped a while ago now just keep them in a dry place.

• Like 4

another way around is to use desiccant - just don't put too much of it it near items that you don't want to dry out too much like leather. Desiccant comes in its own pouch, box, etc and prevents moisture. This ensures a dry item without placing something on the item itself. It is popular to keep in gun safes. You've probably seen similar when buying new shoes in a small sachet with silica balls falls out of the shoe box, this keeps the moisure from destroying the shoes when in a cargo container shipped from China.

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

Hi,  The M42 SD helmet i recently got my hands on, is from the same place where dobell barrel flare gun was found. It was found in a house in Stavanger Norway, not to fare from were i live.  The helmet is in good condition, since it was stored in an attic, sins the end of the war.

post-18555-0-92085100-1384366181.jpg

post-18555-0-14392600-1384366257.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 years later...

A Wehrmacht Heer M.35 steel helmet. This helmet is a small size made by ET62 (Eisenhüttenwerk Thale i./Harz). All original finish almost perfect. A very light tan liner in almost perfect condition, minimum wear soiling to forehead, a slight tear within. The chinstrap is of smooth brown leather inside, the outer side, rough and blackened, a steel buckle with most of original light grey finish. The strap has a stich repair, as once broken through dryness. The makers stamp inside chinstrap is Henseler & Co. Ulm 1940. The Heer eagle decal is almost perfect, the natonal colours decal has been removed, as per regulations of mid 1940. Inside the neckshell is an ink inscription of name: Höstnig. An almost perfect example of an M.35 helmet, purchased in Londons Portobello Road (The Brigadier) in December 1966 for around four pounds.

post-173-0-47424200-1457349447.jpg

Archive photo taken around 2003 using a Yashica SLR camera. Original eagle decal almost perfect.

image.thumb.png.332a8365c62dd7cc3ed55971d487d446.png

image.thumb.png.cb57f76003750cbb7e09678a5b1b974a.png

image.thumb.png.906d96cab9ffa3685840f169395dbe77.png

Excellent original paintwork throughout, somewhat shiny.

image.thumb.png.28a814cbc468ff2c86d2507521202368.png

Right hand decal is a collector's replacement from 1970s. Originally a two-decal helmet, right was removed after May 1940.

image.thumb.png.a2e0644adbf7995118eac20f3db1ab23.png

The inside of the shell has an ink stamp, difficult to see properly. Hand-written name: Höstnig.

image.thumb.png.db2c64a26c9f1ef168e28756def3b2cf.png

Maker's stamp: Q60, a very small size, liner marked 53

image.thumb.png.23a5354245512faabad065e1b24ce818.png

Batch number 316

image.png

Chinstrap with grey coated iron fittings, stitched together in one place, frail. Maker marked, Henseler & Co., Ulm 1940.

• Like 3

Wehrmacht Heer M.42 Helmet, A large size, late war M.42 steel helmet with wire guage for attaching camoflague material, twigs, leaves, etc. Inside is a poorly stamped ET68, with a lot no. 5367, both in the rear neckguard. The leather liner is in very good condition, original drawstring, the steel liner band has some rust. Some light surface rust in places. No chinstrap, chinstrap bales also have rust. An olive-greenish matt paintwork throughout.  Thick wire attachments from front to rear and side to side, with a mid brim wire held in place, these show a fair amount of rust, as they have not been coated. Helmets of this type are often seen in newsreels of period 1944/45.

post-173-0-84556000-1457352560.jpg

image.png.86383d0dd67adcee0ae541c2bac1a3d6.png

image.png.a4acdf8abf3a05647bc8a5f4129cc2a9.png

image.png.07ec3a86beef6adacd6bc39f1dbb2ff1.png

image.png.33509250428d83c75d1114bfcf3184fc.png

Unclear stamped ET68 and batch number 5367 (?)

• Like 3

Heres's a nice M40 we just sold on Saturday retaining approx 90% original paint. Decal has approx 85% remaining. All three liner retaining rivets are intact. Interior of the helmet has a M31 tan leather liner with all eight fingers and original tie string intact. Interior of helmet crown has faint manufacturer stamp. The reverse interior neck guard apron has stamped serial number "5178" and the interior left side apron has stamped manufacturer’s size code,"ET66" indicating manufacture by  Eisen-und Hüttenwerke, AG Thale/Harzsize 66. Chin strap complete and is stamped 'Rahm & Kampmann 1936' 

2156b-zoom.jpg

2156a-zoom.jpg

2156c-zoom.jpg

2156d-zoom.jpg

2156e-zoom.jpg

2156f-zoom.jpg

2156g-zoom.jpg

2156h-zoom.jpg

• Like 3

• Kenny Andrew pinned this topic
  • 6 months later...

Hi all,

I am wandering if any of you know somewhere where i can get hold of some leather as seen in the attached photo to replace part of an M35 chinstrap.

The leather is aprox. 18mm wide and 2mm thick and is tan/dark tan?

Is this something i could probably buy from a local tannery?

Many thanks, Tom

p.s the helmet is a repro M35 Bulgarian Police helmet from the 50s/60s so the colour may differ from the real versions.

227DB999-6352-4623-9244-DED22C27A332.jpeg

• Like 4

I would sooner repair than replace leather parts. If you've got the part that is broken off, you can re-attach this by laying a strip of leather to the underside and stitch these together. A good shoemaker or saddler could also do this, and would probably have a suitable leather type available, or small scrap of leather. The liner in the picture is certainly postwar, chinstraps on Wehrmacht helmets were never rivetted (see photo), but sewn and were attached with  small iron or aluminium buttons, which could be unbuttoned for removal or replacing. There are firms in the internet, which also offer replacement reproduction straps and liners in the correct style at a moderate price. I would say the leather colour is natural light tan. Try searching under google and you will find most things.

As well as the Bulgarian type, an example in photo,  helmets of the Italian pattern were apparently also used.

image.png.2cdc0961c4277433b67d8b2c4c3635c2.png

image.png.37695a5fafcff0f7db8d294a2f99c1c4.png

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

Here is a helmet I picked up recently, a M40 type beaded helmet. No internal parts, inside is rusty, can't' see any markings, but it is a 64 sized helmet. I have seen these in Luftschutz and police units/photos.

IMG_1982.JPG

IMG_1983.JPG

IMG_1984.JPG

IMG_1985.JPG

IMG_1986.JPG

IMG_1987.JPG

• Like 4

Looks like dark blue paintwork, most likely Luftschutz, which also did not always have an emblem at the front. These are sometimes referred to as the "Kradmelderhelm". They are of lightweight steel, and would not be suitable for military purposes.

• Like 3

Hello Fritz, I have seen a lot of photos of these helmets, and I do not see any evidence it has the Luftschutz decal applied. Interesting helmet though, not as big and bulky as the gladiator types. 

• Like 4