RAD Arm Insignia

Fritz

Try checking the dates of envelope and letter, also sender and recipient, to see if you can match them

Envelope is from a Flieger named Stich (?) 2nd Company, Flieger Ersatz Battalion XI

Recipient is in Deggendorf / Niederbayern, Schliessfach - P.O.Box 34

Neumünster, 29.XI.42 – Neumünster is between Hamburg and Kiel, was a garrison town with also textile industry etc, small place.

Liebe Lore!

Vor allem, recht herzlichen Dank für Deinen netten Brief. Sehr wahrscheinlich werde ich zum Christfest mit meiner Abwesenheit glänzen., wenn nicht dann wahrscheinlich einige Tage vorher, jetzt muss ich halt schon 2 Herren fragen, Betrieb und Kompanie. Bin nur froh dass uns die Kompanie so ziemlich in Ruhe lässt mit dem (?) und ähnlichen unliebsamen Scherzen. Das Kino ist hier das einzige Vergnügen das man geniessen kann, trotz seiner 50.000 Einwohner ist und bleibt Neumünster eine stupide Stadt. Die Arbeitszeit ist uns jetzt auch wieder um eine ½ Stunde verlängert worden. Hoffentlich haut’s bis an Weihnachten hin.

Auf baldiges Wiedersehen freut sich verbunden mit den herzlichsten Grüssen an Dich – Alfred

Next card/envelope: Sender: Soldat Alfred Stich, Grossenbroda, W.T.S.(M),, Schü…(Schülerkompanie?), Block III

Stamp is of Fliegerwaffentechnische Schule – Schülerkompanie

I wouldn’t exactly call it a loveletter – it could be his girlfriend or not,

Basicly he thanks her for her nice letter and says he will probably be absent for Christmas or earlier . he would have to ask 2 gentlemen, works and company.

Only pleased that he has his peace and quiet with the company. The cinema here is the only consolation / enjoyment, despite its 50.000 inhabitants, Neumünster is and remains a stupid town. Work time has been increased again for over half an hour, Hopefully it will stay that way till Christmas. Looking forward to seeing you soon and with the heartiest greetings - Alfred

• Like 3

O.K., den 10.XII.1943

Liebe Hannelore,

Recht herzlichen Dank für Dein liebes Brieflein, welches ich jetzt, der langen Fahrt zufolge erst erhalten habe. Ja, da hast Du recht, das Weihnachtsfest steht vor der Türe und ich muß, so leid es mir tut, weit, weit entfernt unter den Feigenbäumen mein Christbäumchen aussuchen. Aber das ist halt die Härte des Krieges und wir wären schon zufrieden, wenn wir wenigstens an diesen Festtagen nicht vom Tommy oder von Banditen getötet würden. Ein Blick in die Sterne trägt dann all meine ..

(next page) Segenswünsche zu Euch nach Deggendorf.

Sonst geht es mir gut, ich meine den Umständen entsprechend, nur habe ich nie Geld in Landeswährung um von den verlockenden Südfrüchten meine Genüsse zu stillen. Es könnte möglich sein dass ich bis in drei Monaten, meinen rückständigen Einsatzurlaub als ersten Erholungsurlaub bekommen könnte wenn mir der griech. Kriegsgott Ares** gut gesinnt ist. Obwohl nun der Regen etwas aufgehört hat, um in ein paar Tagen dafür umso stärker nieder zu prasseln, ist das Wetter (u. Klima) völlig ungesund und wr müssen uns zum größten Teil erst schon langsam daran gewöhnen, was ein ständiges Bauchweh nur mit sämtlichen Folgen nach sich zieht.

Und nun liebe Lore wünsche ich Dir und Deinen Eltern ein recht fröhliches Weihnachtsfest (Papa wird sich schon wieder die größte Sorge und Mühe für seine Schützlinge gemacht haben) und ein recht gesundes Neues Jahr! - Herzlichst Dein Alfred –

Frieden auf Erden 1944! – Ich glaub’s ja nicht und wenn es noch so schön wäre

**(der griechische Kriegsgott Ares – lit. The Greek god of war, Ares)

interesting letter.

Translated:

Dear Hannelore,

many thanks for for your sweet little letter, which I just received due to the long jjourney. Yes, you are right, Christmas is just around the corner, and I have to pick out my Christmas tree, reluctantly, far away, from under the fig trees. (appartently in Greeece, Balkans or Eastern Mediterranean). However, that is the hardship of war, and we would be only too happy if we at least during the holidays, are not killed by the “Tommys” or bandits (meaning partisans) A look into the stars sends all my blessings (Segenswünsche or “fromme Wünsche”) to you in Deggendorf.

Otherwise I’m fine, that is, as per the circumstances, only, I have never any local currency to buy any of the tempting (tropical) fruits to still my longing for these. It’s possible that in up to three months, I could get my delayed service leave as a first convalescence leave, if the Greek God of War Ares is kind to me. Although the rain has stopped, just to start again in a few days, for that, to pour even more, the weather (and climate) is totally unhealthy, and we have to slowly get used to it, with the result of constant stomachaches and what follows up.

And now dear Lore, I wish you and your parents a very merry Christmas (Papa will have taken greatest care and be worried about his Schützlinge*) and a very healthy New Year!

Most heartily – your Alfred

Peace on Earth 1944! It would be just too good to be true.

* = “Protegés” (französisch) is good – couldn’t find a better word. (My old Cassel’s English-German Dictionary I gave many years ago to Wolf in Berlin – unfortunately he died in 2012, a good friend of mine – Wolf Fengler, *Nordhausen, 9.12.1940-+Berlin,12.6.2012, was a former DDR citizen, what a chap! – he always had a lot of interesting stories to tell. I really miss him)

• Like 3

you did all the hard work Paul but forgot to translate it :D

O.K., the 10.XII.1943
Love Hannelore,
Thank you very much for your dear little letter, which I have now, the long drive According to only receive. Yes, you are right, the Christmas is around the corner and I have so sorry I am far, far away choose my little Christmas tree under the fig trees. But that's just the hardness of the war and we would be satisfied if we would be killed at least in these hard days not from Tommy or by bandits. A look at the stars then transmits all my ..
(Next page) blessings to you to Deggendorf.
Otherwise I'm fine, I mean the circumstances, only I never order from the enticing tropical fruits to quench money in local currency my pleasures. It might be possible that I up in three months, could get my arrears use holidays as first Relaxing if me the Greek. God of War Ares ** is well disposed. Although now the rain has stopped something for the more down to patter in a few days, the weather (u. Air) is completely unhealthy and wr have to get used for the most part only been slowly about what a constant stomachache with all Follow entails.
And now Love Lore I wish you and your parents a right merry Christmas (Papa is already remade the biggest concern and effort for his protégés have) and a fairly healthy New Year! - Affectionately yours, Alfred -
Peace on earth in 1944! - I do not believe it so and if it were not so beautiful

** (The Greek god of war Ares - lit. The Greek god of war, Ares)
interesting letter.

• Like 3

I thought I would leave it that way, was under the impression, that many of the readers understand it anyway, Will take another look at next opportunity. By the way, "Liebe Lore..." I would translate as "Dear Lore..." It's the way everyone writes...

Has now been translated.

Fritz

• Like 3

Thanks once again Fritz, sorry to hear about your good friend passing away yes you do miss them when their gone.

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

Hello, A bit late to the party.. Fritz, the first armshield 10/165 would be Gau XVI Westfalen-Nord, Coesfeld

I looked at he the photo that is partially obscured and these are most likely based on 5/320 and following, Gau XXXII Westmark

5/320 Grunstadt and Kandel

5/321 Fehringen and Waldfischbach

5/322 Kitzinger and Illingen

5/323 Dillingen (Saar)

5/324 Kandel

5/325 Eschenbach

5/328 Saargemunden and Kirkel

There is no mention of a 5/326 or 327 but that may be yet to be discovered.

Leon21, you mention 4/256 on picture three which is  Gau XXV Hessen-Sud, 4/256 Rehe 

I will post again soon.. G

4-256 Rehe.jpg

4-256a.jpg

4-256b.jpg

• Like 4

5/322 Kitzinger and Illingen

I think you mean Kitzingen   (that is near Würzburg)

NB: There are many towns and cities in the Württemberg region (and elsewhere) with names ending in ingen, there are originally of
celtic origin, later settlers were the Schwaben (or Sueben) and Allemanen, who settled before the Romans came.

• Like 4