Christmas Eve, 24th December 1943

Fritz

Weihnachten, 24. Dezember 1943

Picture above reads on reverse side "The three Langenlebarner under the Christmas Tree, 24.December 1943"
Depicted is Birgitt Neusüss (20.Nov.1941-10./11.Sept.2009) with her parents in the "Luftwaffe settlement" at the flying field Langenlebarn near Vienna (Luftkriegsschule 7, Tulln-Langenlebarn) Her father was Radio Operator (Bordfunker) and reached the rank of Oberfeldwebel, at first with Legion Condor in Spain (?), then K.G.26, K.G.4 and as from May 1942 with LKS 7. He flew over 283 missions and had the iron cross 1st class, the Bomber Crews Clasp in Gold (Frontflugspange für Kampfflieger in Gold), Narvik Shield, etc. Became a prisoner of war near Salzburg/Austria, returning from American captivity around the end of 1945. He passed away on 25 August 2009, just two weeks before his daughter. He spent most of his spare time with his family, and preferred to do so in civil clothing. 

post-173-0-06007900-1455960650.jpg

• Like 3

• 10 months later...

Christmas 1943

and 1940 broadcast is rather interesting (unfortunately deleted)

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

I always find the Stalingrad message very poignant in that film, with the radio announcer trying to sound positive, you can't imagine what they were going through.  RIP Walter.  

• Like 2

• Kenny Andrew pinned this topic
  • 9 months later...

The 1940 Christmas video has unfortunately been deactivated by youtube, apparently someone has taken offence, now not available in your Landes-Domain (Germany), perhaps this can still be viewed in the UK. I find it regrettable that after so many years, there are still people who  want to blot out these cherished old memories. R.I.P. Walter and all the others.

• Like 2

Not viewable in the UK either now I'm afraid. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1