Luftwaffe mounted medals

Fritz

The Iron Cross has no traces of any silvering (cant see maker as ring is hidden under ribbon), but is made of white metal (Neusilber) and the iron core has a thin black lacquer showing no traces of rust. Is however, an awarded piece and not a second. The Dienstauszeichnung is iron with most of silvering present, just a few little rust stains between some ot lettering of Wehrmacht and is mounted with the Luftwaffe eagle second pattern, which appears to be made of zinc with most of hard silverplate present, which would deem it a midwar variation. The Sudetenland medal has lost some of its finish, but is solid bronze, and these were only awarded up till early 1941. It has no Prague Castle bar. These are on a black cloth backing with a wide needle pin and hook. Original wearer not known, but could have been an airman, as this was a typical combination for airmen, who had served since at least 1938. Oberfeldwebel Neusüß of KG26 and KG4 also had this combination of decorations, but there is no photo of him wearing such, just the simple small ribbon bar in several photos, the ribbons of which are clearly recognisable. Hard to find in this combination nowadays. Many servcemen never got their medals mounted and just wore the ribbon bar. In Germany it has been prohibited since 1945 to wear any decorations. Certain decorations were permitted as per the 1957 laws, and these being remanufactured without swastikas. The Sudetenland medal is however, prohibited in any form, as are many other decorations. These laws now also apply to Austria and France. However, there are hardly any more veterans left to comply to this.

post-173-0-84349600-1448047928_thumb.jpg

image.png.222ab61726119a55d0e42be7eb06d567.png

• Like 4

great information Paul , and nice set of medals :thumbsup:

• Like 3

Yes, I was looking for this exact type of group for many years, finally found it last year. Seldom seen in nearly fifty years of collecting, apart from a couple of times between the year 2000 and 2014. I really had to go for them when I saw this time. Am also looking for the small ribbon bar, also become rare, there used to be loads of them around in the days when I ignored ribbon bars. There is also a four ribbon bar as above, with the addition of the ribbon of the Bulgarian Soldiers Cross with swords, this is also often seen on Luftwaffe combinations.

Picture: Another variation as example

Feldspange.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Now added, original, matching ribbon bar (Feldspange). LW eagle is first pattern on Feldspange, 2nd pattern on medal set.

100_3138.JPG

• Like 4

• 5 months later...

Very nice set of medals!

• Like 4

Took me a long time to find, and these have a special significance.

• Like 4