Luftwaffe Steel helmet M.35, first pattern - double decal

Fritz

Another nice recent acquisition is this nice early type Luftwaffe M.35 helmet with first pattern eagle (double decal). Condition overall satisfactory, skull and paintwork with aging and weather damage as if exposed to the elements at some time. Original black leather liner has shrunk somewhat, no chinstrap. Both decals are in a very good condition, with just some abrasions, esp. to the national colours. The helmet is a small size and is marked ET62, being an overall size of 62cm, headsize about 53/54. Typically this has the early brass liner rivets. See illustration

post-173-0-06580700-1448046781_thumb.jpg

image.png.2109a3886c54efec885b85dff0509257.png

• Like 5

And here's the other side of that Luftwaffe double decal helmet, national colours shield, fair condition for age and treatment

post-173-0-88229100-1448464494_thumb.jpg

image.png.008a2f78a6b5be36ce0e2526c3d56255.png

image.thumb.png.e20fcf82aafe111e56a254a7c977e3fa.png

Finally, a close-up of the Lufwaffe eagle 1st type. As I mentioned, it is stamped ET62  and with serial number 3762, definitely an early example.

image.thumb.png.9cd1371853b5a908c3d4916f3de3edae.png

A close-up of the national colours, black-white-red

image.thumb.png.a129647a01cabbf1afe2947bc175bf0f.png

and the neck guard with the number 3762

• Like 3

and here's the liner to that Luft M.35 helmet, split at the front due to shrinkage, stitching to rear seam also splint and shrunk here as well - black leather, or has turned black due to dampness, dirt? I tend to think this helmet was ground dug or recovered from water (Bodenfund/Wasserfund)  and affected by ground water, of course it wasn't 50-70 years under the ground, probably just a relatively short time span before being found, so it has survived reasonably well, was bought from a reliable source and not from "diggers".

post-173-0-14762900-1448554076_thumb.jpg

image.png.be43be2adc7d47ffa8d506475f24529c.png

• Like 2

Further photos added

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

Nice one, I always liked the LW helmets!

• Like 3

I had two very nice ones many years ago - I could kick myself!  The first one I bought from a school pal for 10 pounds. It was a nice double decal, Chinstrap and liner were missing, aluminium liner band all there - the Swastika had been scratched away, I replaced this using a matching paint, a very fine artists brush and a magnifying glass.
The next one I had was also double decal - this one had history. With liner and chinstrap in good order, again the swastika had been scratched out, again I restored this as diligently as before, the grey paintwork showed signs of weathering (from a coastal climate) and had scratched on the front "Wiederbewaffnung - Jetzt!", which I managed to conceal. The weathering was due to the helmet having spent it's entire life on the Island of Sylt ! It was purchased in an antique shop there sometime in the early 80s. The owner then sold it to me in 1988 for 180 Euros, he had wanted to give it to me for free, but I insisted on paying him a token 180 DM.   Inside the lining was a stamp: Fliegerhorstkommandantur Hörnum (on the Island of Sylt).  Unfortunately never photographed these.

• Like 2

I understand that Fritz, I used to have a large WW2 German collection, but sold almost all of it off in the mid 90's. I had lots of medals, helmets, caps, etc.  I could kick myself now as well. 

• Like 3

The prices of the decaled helmets is getting ridiculous, not for the average collector anymore.

• Like 3