WATERLOO SHAKO

sommewalker

does any one know if there is a publication ,or online list,
that shows what regiment had what coloured horse hair plume,
for this belqique (WATERLOO) shako circa 1812-1815

post-37255-0-93540500-1446317581_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

I know nothing about Belgic shakos however careful with this very good copies around.

• Like 3

I've never had an other ranks Belgic shako before but I did have an officers one about twenty years ago which had a feather plume , as far as I know other ranks had a sort of woolen plume but I have never handled one.The only helmets I have seen with horse hair plumes have been cavalry helmets although I could be wrong. I always thought the red and white plume was just standard British infantry colours but again not something I know allot about. The officers helmet I had , had a lot of crazing on the visor despite it being in excellent condition where as the shako in the picture looks like the visor is very new , pictures of the inside would help but I know the copies of these helmets look just like the real thing. If any one could find some pictures of Belgic shakos with plumes from museums that would help, I would look but just heading out now.

• Like 3

:thumbsup: Thank you for you warnings ,

much appreciated :thumbsup:

but in my defence I only buy from reputable antique dealers with impeachable reputations,

but I take on board what you have said :thumbsup:

ive included a close up of the shako ..........................post-37255-0-45075000-1446373098_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

as long as you didn't pay too much for it Peter then it might be worth a gamble, originals come on the market very rarely, I think the last one sold for over £9000. Here are some pictures of the latest replica other ranks Belgic shakos , they are very convincing.

shako1.jpg

shako2.jpg

shako3.jpg

shako4.jpg

shako5.jpg

• Like 3

• 6 years later...

I would say this plume was standard for the English regiments. Can be seen in old prints and pictures.

• Like 3