Panzer Regiment 35 Officer M36 Pattern Tunic

Kenny Andrew

Here is a nice panzer tunic we had earlier this year. Panzer officer’s M36 tunic with pink piped major's shoulder boards, featuring metal numeral 35's on each strap for Panzer Regiment 35.Bullion wire officers breast eagle is hand stitched to the tunic. Pink piped collar tabs are machine stitched to the dark green collar. All buttons are present and still retain their original field grey paint and are maker stamped 'Extra Fein'. Inside of tunic is lined in high quality rayon, with dagger strap which is stamped 'A' D.R.G.M. Makers label 'Des Herrenschneider Handwerks Gutezeichen' to inside collar. Complete with EK2 ribbon through second button hole. Left breast pocket features three sets of original award loops and a set above the pocket. The right breast pocket has one set of original awards loops for the German Cross. Left cuff has one small hole approximately 15mm square otherwise excellent condition. I have researched German Cross winners from Panzer regiment 35 who held the rank of Major and held the same configuration of awards. I have managed to narrow it down to three possible officers, all were commanders of Panzer regiment 35 and all were recipients of the Knights Cross with Oakleaves. Whilst I cannot prove this tunic belonged to one of these officers it is certainly possible. Here are Wikipedia links to the three officers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meinrad_von_Lauchert
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fritz-Rudolf_Schultz
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans-Detloff_von_Cossel

post-3-0-13953100-1442406103.jpgpost-3-0-59966600-1442406147.jpgpost-3-0-34913500-1442406130.jpgpost-3-0-54463900-1442406333.jpgpost-3-0-98607800-1442406267.jpgpost-3-0-74559900-1442406290.jpgpost-3-0-00497100-1442406203.jpgpost-3-0-02162100-1442406185.jpgpost-3-0-50400000-1442406246.jpgpost-3-0-82449800-1442406314.jpg

• Like 5

• Kenny Andrew changed the title to Panzer Regiment 35 Officer M36 Pattern Tunic
  • Kenny Andrew pinned and featured this topic

images updated 

• Like 4

Very nice. A collector colleague I knew some years back, has an almost identical tunic displayed on a full figure, however, not a Major, it was either Leutnant - Hauptmann and without the Deutsches Kreuz, just a Panzerkampfabzeichen and Iron Cross, with that there was the original long fieldgrey trousers worn with shoes and a nice matching peaked cap. Apart from this he has a complete Landser uniform of the period 1943-44 and all the basic field equipment and boots, both figures looked very impressive. He had sold most of his collection and just kept a few outstanding pieces, and otherwise, being retired, still trades with militaria items, of which I bought a few odds and ends.

The collar looks rather faded and with some wear to the edge. I remember in the 1970s, most uniforms I saw, and that was a lot in those days, the collars looked absolutely immaculate and a deep dark green, as good as new. Very strange that all these years later, uniforms, and especially the collars,  now mostly look rather worn.

• Like 4

Well at least the moths have not gotten to it yet. But I understand the fading, perhaps improper storage?

• Like 4

I would say the tunic has been tried on and worn for some reason or another by various people over a longer period, and probably dry cleaned a few times, that is why the edge of the collar is threadbare and slightly whitened.
What people nowadays do not realise, tunics were always worn with a white collar liner, whether stiffened or soft, that was obligatory in those days. I have heard enough stories from the film branch and costume hire businesses. Costumes are used about 10 times and dry cleaned after each use, after about 10 usages, they are simply discarded, this I heard from someone in the costume hire branch. They do not differenciate between historical orginals and sets made up for use.
Clothing should not be worn over bare skin.  Modern uniforms are often cotton and are simply laundered.

• Like 4

Yes, I can see that Fritz, the early US dress uniforms were the same regarding the collar insert. 

• Like 4

• 10 months later...

I’m the new owner of this tunic. The attachment hardware for the Kragenbinde seems to have been removed (3 in total). The collar staining doesn’t look as bad in with the tunic in hand as in the earlier photos. I’m delighted to have this tunic in my collection. It’s nice to know that this particular tunic most likely belonged to one of three individuals.

8181A27A-497A-4524-B636-92C4A031C8CC.jpeg

• Like 5

Hi Husker, welcome to the forum, yes it's a nice tunic, it used to be in my own collection for a very long time, glad it has gone to a good home. 

• Like 5