>Is It Deactivated

agreed, you did the proper thing, you never can tell with these things when they are not properly marked.

Yep i mean one of the officers was saying that this happens all the time last week some old man foud a croded grenade in his gardena dn kust chucked it over the counter and people are handing in old 303 rounds

The bomb disposal said it wasent live as ive said so why soulent i keep it :huh:

I am surprised they said it wasn't live. You did the right thing Reece, it is totally impossible to tell if an item is de-act without opening it up.The two major clues are if the firing cap is intact which is a bad sign and if there sounds like there is powder in it then that is also a bad sign , as yours had both of these bad signs I would have been very concerned that it was live.

You can't open these things without the correct tools and there is always the chance you will blow your hands off.More than likely they will have destroyed it.

You could chance your arm and ask for it back but you did do the right thing otherwise you would never have know whither it was live or not.As Greg says these things become unstable after a while so I certainly wouldn't like having it kicking about in my house :o

yep but when things like this are destroyed or from ww2 i think thats history your destroying but ino it sounds stupid but if it was live i would have been buggered

That is collecting for you Reece, things get damaged, lost, etc. You'll kick yourself the first time you learn you should not have polished the rust off an item or used the wrong oil to do it and destroyed the metal. You'll scream bloody murder when you see a perfectly good item altered into a fake simply to try and increase value to some numpty who will buy it thinking it is real. (Massive amounts of this are happening in Afghanistan and China right now and being sold to western collectors who are complete idiots)

World War II really is not all that long ago in the grand scheme of the collecting world. Prices are going up and items harder to find but that means the war FINALLY is becoming a real war to search out collections for and not simply a cheap fun pastime for middle age men who want to play soldier. WWII was also a massive war of economy, as such items were made in the thousands or millions. Unless you have a Normandy D-day Ranger Assault Vest most items you can and will find again at some point in collecting.

31 years ago the Swiss m1911 sawback pioneer bayonet was damn near impossible to obtain, it was uber rare. 30 years ago a purchasing agent for a gun export company stumbled upon a stock of them so large it covered the rear of a warehouse floor to ceiling and several feet deep. They sold for about $4 USD. Many examples today come from that collection and now sell for $100 USD and that is up $25 in the last 5-8 years.

If you are into collecting shells, go to some military fairs. They do have dealers selling deactivated items and maybe they even have your shell. I still say it is post-WWII 30 cal round for an aircraft cannon but I've known myself to be wrong.

Well the only place ino where i can get things for my colecction is tresure buker and are theses fairs a regual thing . i tell you one thing i want is a german helemt :D REALLY BAD !!! but i will have to put major hours in at work but i can settle for a british one from the bunker in a few weeks

The fairs are all in England these days ,I used to run the Glasgow Armsfair about 15 years ago until the council put an end to it because of the knifes and guns.I haven't been to one since.

While it's quite true you can get a bargain at a fair you really need to know what your looking at as the the places are also riddled with fakes.You might not get a bargain at the Bunker (although it has been known to happen) what you do get is a life time Guarantee that it's original also with larger items you can use our lay away scheme and pay for on item over a period of weeks.

The fairs are all in England these days ,I used to run the Glasgow Armsfair about 15 years ago until the council put an end to it because of the knifes and guns.I haven't been to one since.

While it's quite true you can get a bargain at a fair you really need to know what your looking at as the the places are also riddled with fakes.You might not get a bargain at the Bunker (although it has been known to happen) what you do get is a life time Guarantee that it's original also with larger items you can use our lay away scheme and pay for on item over a period of weeks.

the sceme sounds good to me :D how much a week for something like a helemt

Hi Reece, there is no set rule ,it's usually done by negotiation.If you tell me the item you are interested in ,let me know the most you can afford as a deposit and how many weeks you think it would take to pay the balance then we would do our best to work something out with you.better to email me regarding this if you are interested.

It was a good thread Reece ,my favourite bit was

what would the police say

:D :D :D

mine was. erm when i shake it . it sounds like something like sand

:lol:

Mine was that Reece kept reporting back... in means he did not blow himself up :brutale_63:

lets go digging for mines and live naval shells :microwave: not a good idea