>Is It Deactivated

Ok i need help ive got this shell or aa bullet but i dont know if its deactivated its not pointed at the top which is a sighn it may have been deactivated and their is small hole at the top which has been sealed and lines that look like they may have been from sparks around the sides if anyone can help please reply

Can you get a photo of it up? I'm betting it is deact though from the sounds of it. Any marks on it? Any paint colours on it?

yeah ive got some photos i will post them at about 90'clock ish

Ok here they are any idea if they are deactivated

post-74-1215890893_thumb.jpg

post-74-1215890978_thumb.jpg

Ammunition is not a specialty area of mine, however, I *think* what you have is a 30mm Round for the British Aden Aircraft Revolver Cannon.

See: 30x86B 30x97B 30x113B from below link

http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/30mm%20cannon.htm

If it is incredibly light then it is inert and a deact. If it has some weight to it either it is live or a training round filled with sand to provide weight (the US Army does this and I have several casings of this type though they print DUMMY or INERT on the shell).

Reece could you take a photo of the bottom of the round ,this way we will be able to see if the percussion cap has been fired.

Ammunition is not a specialty area of mine, however, I *think* what you have is a 30mm Round for the British Aden Aircraft Revolver Cannon.

See: 30x86B 30x97B 30x113B from below link

http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/30mm%20cannon.htm

If it is incredibly light then it is inert and a deact. If it has some weight to it either it is live or a training round filled with sand to provide weight (the US Army does this and I have several casings of this type though they print DUMMY or INERT on the shell).

erm when i shake it . it sounds like something like sand

ok here if its deactivted i will take it to ur shop to show you kenny if it isnt i wont tell my mum and put it in the shed lol.heres the pics btw my mates grandad had loads in his shed and my freind says his grandad stole them off a ship diuring the war when the americans were here and he said its deactivated but i wanna make sure

post-74-1215960157_thumb.jpg

post-74-1215960277_thumb.jpg

Story sounds a bit dodgy.. if true it certainly can be live ammunition, and I'd tell you to be very carefully with it. As there are no other marks, it very well might just be live ammunition and you should have it checked out by someone with far more experience on the subject.

I'm almost certain it is not US Ammunition. 30 cal US ammo has a very different shape. The US and Britain used the 30 cal browning machine gun during the war as a heavy infantry support weapon but the casing was very different from this. Aircraft mainly carried 50 cal browning guns and this is not that either.

Again, all sources I look at point towards it being 30 cal British (maybe French) ammo for a post-WWII Aden cannon. The cannon was used on a variety of aircraft, mainly maritime including the sea harrier. I cannot find an example with the barrel band. This would produce increased spin on the bullet when it is fired. I've seen this on larger artillery and recoiless rifle shells but not on smaller ammunition (under 50 cal). Do not take this to mean it is rare though, I just haven't pinpointed the source for ammunition yet. The 30 cal Aden ammo is low velocity and the band could possibly increase the velocity for certain applications.

Considering the MOD has an excellent track record of knowing what happens with ammunition knicked from bases I'd not be surprised if it is live and was taken home to show off.

it could be live :mellow: erm ive had it for a while and when i shook it adges ago it sounded like sand or something it could be live ?

Whatever, be bloody careful, a friend of mine loved tinkering with live ammo and rendering it 'Inert' in various subtle ways, e.g. small rubber mallets etc. Eventually the detonator on a 20mm shell split the top of his fingers. No chance of going to hospital with powder burns, a few interesting moments with Inspector Plod of the firearms unit a definite prospect. Half a bottle of scotch and some tight bindings was the solution.

Not a good idea though.

say it it went off what damage do you think it could do considering its size

ok in the middle of the roundit says RG84 what does this mean

say it it went off what damage do you think it could do considering its size

Ammunition becomes highly unstable as it ages and should not be messed with. Corrosion and damage to the casing add to this. It can randomly go off, it can just go pop, it can put a nice hole in things, and it can blow your fingers off or worse. Live ammo, especially large caliber should be deactivated by proper authorities, there are some out there that can do it.

Ok so when do you think its from and bloody hell hmm im waiting for kennys verdict so see if the things deactivated but is thier anyway for me to tell if its deact

Ammunition becomes highly unstable as it ages and should not be messed with. Corrosion and damage to the casing add to this. It can randomly go off, it can just go pop, it can put a nice hole in things, and it can blow your fingers off or worse. Live ammo, especially large caliber should be deactivated by proper authorities, there are some out there that can do it.

what shall i do ayway to tell if its deact

Reece ,

there is a tiny hole there but it is off centre ,so won't have been done by being fired from a gun , that would suggest the percussion cap is still intact and the fact that when you shake it there appears to be sand in it sounds more like powder.I would say it's most likely live.

Best bet is to get rid of it ,get someone to hand it into the Police to be on the safe side.

they will ask you where you got it from and do you have any more.

Just tell them that you collect militaria and you bought it for your collection.

You see it in the paper about people cleaning out grandads house after he dies only to find that the handgranade sitting on his shelf is live.

I think they would be OK especially if you have taken it to them.If you tell them it's an old war souvineer thats been kicking about the house for years and you thought it was de-activeted but you have taken it them just to be on the safe side.After all there is still a chance it is deactived.They should be pleased you have done the right thing and handed it in.maybe a good idea to take an adult with you.

I think they would be OK especially if you have taken it to them.If you tell them it's an old war souvineer thats been kicking about the house for years and you thought it was de-activeted but you have taken it them just to be on the safe side.After all there is still a chance it is deactived.They should be pleased you have done the right thing and handed it in.maybe a good idea to take an adult with you.

Thankyou everyone who has helped me on this one the police have it now :D so i think its deact things from here on out

Excellent Reece :D so your still a free man then? :D

JESUS GESS WHO JUST PASSED ME ON THE WAY HOME THE BOMB DISPOSAL SQUAD AND THE STATION JUST RANG UP IT WASENT LIVE AFTER ALL :lol:

Oh well better to be safe than picking bits of shrapnal out of yourself