HELP WITH IDENTIFYING THIS DRESS COET

PIP SQUEAK AND WILFRED

post-75-1215533050_thumb.jpgpost-75-1215533050_thumb.jpgpost-75-1215532888_thumb.jpgpost-75-1215532888_thumb.jpgHELLO,

COULD YOU HELP PLEASE IDENTIFY THIS COAT IN THE PICTURE ATATCHED.

REGARDS DAVID

post-75-1215533162_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hi David,

it's a bit early for me I know the motto on the buttons is that of the Order of the Garter but in saying that it is also the motto of many other regiments from the Grenadier Guards to the Royal Engineers.It does look Victorian or maybe even earlier.

The buttons look like they could be silver are there any hallmarks on them? Actually after looking again it looks like there is brass coming through in either case is there anything on the back of the buttons such as a makers mark?

• Like 2

It needn't necessarily be military. Maybe from a royal household, and there were an awful lot of those way back when. It looks early Victorian, but pages costumes etc. haven't changed much.

Incidentally, beware uniforms which don't fall into a recognisable pattern. Theatrical costumiers have used ex-military jackets etc. for ages, and tarted them up. Old musicals like The Student Prince etc. have gobbled up and often f..ked up piles of regimental outfits.

• Like 3

post-75-1215533050_thumb.jpgpost-75-1215533050_thumb.jpgpost-75-1215532888_thumb.jpgpost-75-1215532888_thumb.jpgHELLO,

COULD YOU HELP PLEASE IDENTIFY THIS COAT IN THE PICTURE ATATCHED.

REGARDS DAVID

hel[/size]

HELLO,

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP,THERE ARE NAMES TO THE REAR OF THE BUTTON'S AS FOLLOWS.

INNER CIRCLE STATES 34 MADDOX ST

OUTER CIRCLE SAYS WILKINSON LATE J HUNTER

AGAIN MY THANKS DAVID

• Like 3

Would you say that the facing colour was red? If so then there were not many Corps or Regiments (if it belonged?) with red facings.

• Like 3

There is an entry for them in Charles Dickens Victorian London Directory from 1874

ROBE MAKERS - *Wilkinson & Son, 34, Maddox-st.

I wonder if your buttons are earlier than this as the company name is different ,unfortunatley you cannot contact them as that address now belongs to an accountant.

Hull museum have several items made by this company they are all belonging to footmen ,its not to say through that the company did not also make military uniforms too.

• Like 2

• 15 years later...

Earlier than Victorian, Napoleonic

• Like 2