German Matrosen Division, the german version of the RND.

sommewalker

German Matrosen Division, the German version of the RND

from what I have found out

In 1914 there was one division, called Marine-Division (Naval Division). Later there were three naval divisions, called 1. to 3. Marine-Division. The first two division were always engaged on the Flanders coast and along the Yser, the 3. Marine-Division was also used as a normal infantry division and did participate in the German 1918 offensive on the Somme.
I think they were comparable to the British 63rd Naval Division

this is quite a revelation to me ,

the photos show a leather box with a German cap tally round it,

now it was probably owned by a member of that unit,

and kept as a souvenir ,

no one will ever know ?, but what is fascinating is the tally

it is interesting to note that the Germans had units that ran along the same lines as ours,

in as much as they were land locked sailors fighting

away from their natural environment like our R N D

I have also included a photo of a group of them,

they like our R N D shouldn't be forgotten.........................................

post-37255-0-97004100-1419238699_thumb.jpg

post-37255-0-82802800-1419238722_thumb.jpg

post-37255-0-93191700-1419239580_thumb.jpg

post-37255-0-85251200-1419239602_thumb.jpg

post-37255-0-02612200-1419244993_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Matrosen is the german word for Sailor. Strictly speaking the german term was Seebattallion and the units were originally used by the Kaiserliche Marine to put ashore quickly and use world wide. Bismarck was no huge fan of the German Navy and so the units were not very large or used to too much effect before WWI. However, they were deployed and used quite effectively in China during the Boxer Rebellion.

At the start of WWI the units were pulled together with Landwehr reservists into the Marinekorps led by Admiral Ludwig von Schröder. They fell under the 4th Army, Heeresgruppe Kronprinz Rupprecht. Units fought effectively in the Western flanks of the western front and also abroad.

Allied assessments were recorded after the war as follows

1st naval division

https://archive.org/stream/historiesoftwohu00unit#page/48/mode/2up

2nd naval division

https://archive.org/stream/historiesoftwohu00unit#page/70/mode/2up

3rd naval division

https://archive.org/stream/historiesoftwohu00unit#page/86/mode/2up

For the most part they were rated fourth class other than the 3rd division which was third class and at times during the Somme considered second class.

Some general details

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seebataillon

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naval_Corps_(German_Empire)

• Like 3

our R N D must have faced them at sometime

• Like 3

The RND and the 1st Naval Division were in opposing actions around Antwerp and Ostend so it is possible they bumped into one another. However that would be the only possibility. The RND was otherwise intered by November when the Germans reorganised and started the new Division structure.

• Like 3

The RND and the 1st Naval Division were in opposing actions around Antwerp and Ostend so it is possible they bumped into one another. However that would be the only possibility. The RND was otherwise intered by November when the Germans reorganised and started the new Division structure.

Greg, that was a small proportion,the majority of the R N D weren't interned during the retreat from Antwerp 1500 men were cut off and commodore Henderson made the brave decision,to be Interned in Holland,the total of men in the R N D was between 20-30 thousand,they fought on the western front ,from the somme to gavrelle , which they were instrumental in its capture,(gavrelle) they were well respected as they suffered a higher proportion casualty wise than the other services.

• Like 3

• 6 years later...
On 22/12/2014 at 02:14, sommewalker said:

German Matrosen Division, the German version of the RND

from what I have found out

In 1914 there was one division, called Marine-Division (Naval Division). Later there were three naval divisions, called 1. to 3. Marine-Division. The first two division were always engaged on the Flanders coast and along the Yser, the 3. Marine-Division was also used as a normal infantry division and did participate in the German 1918 offensive on the Somme.
I think they were comparable to the British 63rd Naval Division

this is quite a revelation to me ,

the photos show a leather box with a German cap tally round it,

now it was probably owned by a member of that unit,

and kept as a souvenir ,

no one will ever know ?, but what is fascinating is the tally

it is interesting to note that the Germans had units that ran along the same lines as ours,

in as much as they were land locked sailors fighting

away from their natural environment like our R N D

I have also included a photo of a group of them,

they like our R N D shouldn't be forgotten.........................................

post-37255-0-97004100-1419238699_thumb.jpg

post-37255-0-82802800-1419238722_thumb.jpg

post-37255-0-93191700-1419239580_thumb.jpg

post-37255-0-85251200-1419239602_thumb.jpg

post-37255-0-02612200-1419244993_thumb.jpg

I own a 1906 Navy that was issued to the 2nd Division.  Would anyone happen to know where I could possibly research who this pistol was issued to?

Long story short, there is a....rather substantial gap....in this pistol's  history.  All the markings indicate that it was proofed, and accepted into Imperial German Naval service.  That's it.  There are no other markings on this pistol.  None.  My grandfather brought this pistol home with him....in 1945.  So there is from about 1919 to 1944-45 that I have absolutely no idea on....I think I might be able to piece together things with a little more information, and while I have a hunch, I am not sure.  Thanks in advance for any help.

• Like 3

I think this would be a very tall order, like searching for a needle in a haystack, but perhaps some of the other members will have an idea how to do it. Would love to see a picture of the pistol if you have one?   

• Like 2