German Helmets

david f

Here is a picture of a helmet that Kenny has for sale at the shop.

My question is why did most soldiers put the chinstrap over the lip of the helmet??

Surely this would mean that the helmet would fall of if teh soldier had to take cover?

85osrwp.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Dave , most soldiers wore the strap if in combat ,usually when not in combat they would wear the strap over the visor to allow it to be removed more casually.The downside however to wearing the strap in combat was surprisingly hazardous as if a soldier was caught by a blast the chinstrap could actually do more damage than good by in effect strangling the wearer :blink:

• 2 months later...

German military regulations were very strict. Helmet straps had to be worn under the chin when the helmet was on the soldiers

's head. Disobiedience of rules was punished, sometimes severely.

In the front line in times of great danger and with lenient superiors the strap could perhaps be worn over the front of the helmet for the reason Kenny states.

However this positioning in the helmets we see is almost certainly due to post war collectors.

Having read several front line memoirs I am impressed how regulations were enforced and adhered to in TR armed forces eg peaked caps were never handled by the peak but lifted by the front top leading to the pinched look at this point.

Dave <_<

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi William welcome to the forum :)

Yes most helmets with the chinstrap over the visor would have been done by collectors this is the preferred way to display the helmet as it limits the chances of the strap being damaged ,also looks rather smart.

As Dave says though the proper way to wear it would be under the chin but this was not always adhered too ,such as in this famous photo from the Ardennes.

visor.JPG

• 4 months later...

Yeah ive sen that photo somewhere to but i cnt remember where :)

• Like 1

The foto was taken during the Ardennes offensive if im correct.

He is also holding a colt 1911 pistol as well.

• Like 1

Yeah ive sen that photo somewhere to but i cnt remember where :)

i vcant se the colt where is it on the german

• Like 1

i vcant se the colt where is it on the german

he is holding it in his hand .I'm sure that the full picture shows this.

I'll try and find the picture in full

• Like 1

It's actually a Belgian Browning pistol very similar to a colt , the Germans captured these when they took Belgium , also interesting to see the boot knife in his smock, don't think you would have liked to get on the wrong side of this chap.