my tribute to the Royal navy in ww1

sommewalker

My tribute to the Navy and Royal Marines in WW1
Starting with a boy seaman top left,
below a Rating from The R N R ,
including his long service medal,
then a pair from the Royal marine light infantry....
and single victory medal from the the Royal marine artillery,
the picture is made up of images of the relevant services.
and printed on canvas..........................post-37255-0-85630800-1416232917_thumb.jpg

1914 STAR & BAR (ROYAL NAVAL DIVISION ) "HOWE BTTN" To: SX5/177 (also Howe Bn 'D'/104) FREDERICK CHARLES EASTWOOD. AB.RNVR. HOWE BTTN.RND. Killed In Action (Gallipoli) Third Battle of KRITHIA. 6th June 1915. Fred Eastwood survived the famous RND Defence of Antwerp 4th-9th October 1914 only to fall in action at Gallipoli.

Te one I have only have the basic details on them as they are only the British war medal and victory medal, but I have found photo of an example of a 14/15 star with the extra details on,

normally I have to look at their service records

post-37255-0-94210300-1416304974_thumb.jpg

post-37255-0-61889700-1416304978_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Nice display Peter, do you have any medals to members of the RND ? I take the medals would be named to the individual units rather than saying RND?

• Like 3

Nice display Peter, do you have any medals to members of the RND ? I take the medals would be named to the individual units rather than saying RND?

I do have some medals awarded to members of the R N D but they only have the basic details on them,

like all great war medals.

The way to find out what units/ships they were in is to,

have a look if you can at their service records,

but navy ones can be very difficult in my experience to find sometimes.

but you can also find examples that have the relevant details on them , so I re-done the original post :)

• Like 4

Excellent , never seen an RND medal before, yes the research is hard work and over half of the records were destroyed in 1940 in a German bombing raid.

• Like 3

• 5 years later...

These two items were brought back by a soldier of the Royal Marine Artillery. This was the maternal grandfather of a school friend of mine. Unfortunately, never got his name, he did have the Military Medal, which along with his other Great War medals was then passed on to his grandson. The grandson later gave me these two cups. I only remember, the grandfather served around Albert and "Pommera", of which there is a further souvenir, a brass letter opener, which he made at one of the artillery workshops behind the lines. This was a French Lebel cartridge, it had a small RMA button neatly welded onto one side, the bullet was split and a brass scimitar blade with engraved "Pommera 1916". The grandson lives in Chingford, unfortunately I lost contact about 10 years back. His father served with the 8th Army in WW2 - Sergeant Carter, and also had a Military Medal and the French Medaille Militaire along with his Africa Star and Italy star, etc. He finished the war in Austria, where he witnessed how the Cossaks along with their families were handed over to the Russians. He was absolutely disgusted and disillusioned by the whole setup. Postwar years as a bank manager in Chingford untill retirement.

image.png.3b304515563a2c9875320bac3b66326b.png

• Like 3