British & Commonwealth WW1 & WW2 Brodie Helmet Maker Stamps

leon21

Another rimmed helmet with "FS 23". Missing the liner, but seems to be personalized with "T.T. Heidenstrom"

IMG_0651.JPG

IMG_0652.JPG

IMG_0653.JPG

IMG_0654.JPG

IMG_0655.JPG

• Like 4

Here is a rimmed helmet marked "HS 466" HS=Hadfield Ltd of Sheffield, steel lot 466.

IMG_0656.JPG

IMG_0657.JPG

IMG_0658.JPG

IMG_0659.JPG

• Like 4

Thought i would mix it up a bit, picked this up about a year ago, me and a friend found a cache of old film props and gear, included was about a dozen of these soft caps. It came with everything minus the badge. The sweatband has obviously been replaced, however everything else is very nice condition. These items are quite hard to find in the US. I picked the suffolk badge because that's where I used to live while in the UK. 

IMG_0560.JPG

IMG_0561.JPG

IMG_0563.JPG

IMG_0562.JPG

IMG_0564.JPG

• Like 4

Some of my other hats and helmets as well. 

IMG_0583.JPG

IMG_0581.JPG

IMG_0582.JPG

• Like 4

Here we have a rimmed helmet marked "FKS 25" FKS=Thomas Firth & Sons Ltd.(  both Manufacturer and Steel Supplier ) and Steel Batch 25.

IMG_0660.JPG

IMG_0661.JPG

IMG_0662.JPG

IMG_0663.JPG

• Like 4

Here is another rimmed helmet, a little worse for wear. This one is marked "M/A 83"

( Manufacturer ) J.& J. Maxfield & Sons. ( Steel Supplier ) Edgar Allen & Co Ltd Sheffield.

IMG_0703.JPG

IMG_0709.JPG

IMG_0706.JPG

IMG_0705.JPG

• Like 4

Here is another rimmed helmet, clearly marked "D/F 67" Really nice condition with the complete liner and chinstrap.

( Manufacturer ) James Dixon & Sons Ltd. ( Steel Supplier ) Thomas Firth & Sons Ltd of Sheffield.

IMG_0710.JPG

IMG_0711.JPG

IMG_0712.JPG

IMG_0713.JPG

• Like 4

Yet another rimmed helmet, marked "HS 286". HS=Hadfield Ltd of Sheffield, lot 286

IMG_0714.JPG

IMG_0715.JPG

IMG_0716.JPG

IMG_0717.JPG

• Like 4

Here is another rimmed helmet, with a stamp I believe is "H.V 207" The H.V is partially obscured under the rim. 

IMG_0718.JPG

IMG_0719.JPG

IMG_0720.JPG

IMG_0721.JPG

• Like 4

Here is another rimmed helmet, marked "HS 406" HS = Hadfield Ltd of Sheffield, steel lot 406. Inside the rim, just behind the liner is the remnants of a mailing label. IMG_0726.thumb.JPG.940af3c2a83b2424cde00364d4e98e00.JPG

IMG_0722.JPG

IMG_0724.JPG

IMG_0725.JPG

• Like 4

What makes some Brodie helmets more valuable , I have seen some sell in the high hundreds ? Is it ones with a certain regiment with insignia ?? . This is my one

Mk 1* with JCS&W Liner dated 1938

Helmet is marked H/V 16 and has Seaforth Highlanders insignia with net Also has SS on the inside

DSCN9940.JPG

DSCN9942.JPG

DSCN9946.JPG

DSCN9949 (2).JPG

DSCN9951.JPG

DSCN9955.JPG

DSCN9956.JPG

• Like 5

very nice helmet MacMac, welcome to the forum 

• Like 4

Thanks Kenny  ,  Excellent info on brodie helmets .

Any  ideas on the SS on the inside of the helmet ?   And do you think the net is original 

Thanks

• Like 4

Hi Mac, the net looks original however in this case I think the helmet would look better without the net as it hides the nice decal. Never came across the SS before, hopefully Colin or some of the others will know  :thumbsup:    

• Like 3

Welcome MacMac, could be the soldiers initials it's hard to say or the initials of a unit. yes I've seen helmets at high prices a lot depends on condition

whether it's a rare maker stamp mark or an early made WW1 helmet, rare Regiment insignias, also  help to push the prices up. It's all down to what a

buyer is willing to pay for a certain helmet he has not got in his collection, personally I think a lot are well over priced.

The helmet you have is a nice looking helmet, any chance of  a closer photo of the helmet makers mark.

• Like 3

Here is yet another one of my WW1 Helmets, this one is a rimmed version, the makers stamp was partially obscured, and read as "S 64" but after a little more sanding I got a "FS 64" FS=Thomas Firth & Sons Ltd of Sheffield. The chin strap mount have seen better days, in which one is broken and the other has been repaired. 

IMG_0824.JPG

IMG_0825.JPG

IMG_0827.JPG

IMG_0828.JPG

IMG_0829.JPG

IMG_0826.JPG

• Like 4

Unusual repair job to the chin strap mount any idea when this was done, does it look like a period repair.

• Like 3

That is the way I got the helmet, no other information. The repair looks to be old, it could be a field repair or something done after the war. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone please help with an ID on this Liner?

The helmet itself appears to be a MK2 and has the following stamp 7 3/4 FH II 1941

I have looked through lists of all the known makers but cannot find anything related to FH.

There are no other markings on the Brodie itself or any part of the liner.

Could this be a rarer manufacture of liner or perhaps a commonwealth type? 

IMG_8917.thumb.JPG.38d720e33f1f7021d15d564904ea9ed8.JPG

• Like 4

It could be made by one of the unknown smaller manufacturers, I've not seen that mark before, could you post a photo of the whole of the

inside of the helmet for me please.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, leon21 said:

It could be made by one of the unknown smaller manufacturers, I've not seen that mark before, could you post a photo of the whole of the

inside of the helmet for me please.

Thanks Leon, much appreciated.

I hope these help?

IMG_20190807_1938525.jpg

IMG_20190807_1939047.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, 2 Black Bands said:

isn't "FH" Failsworth Hats?

Thanks for reply 🙂

Good shout, sounds probable - one of the lesser known makers?

Thanks again.

• Like 3

Wasn't sure they made liners, if they did it could well be. Failsworth Hats Ltd., I  know during the war years the Company

was actively employed in Ministry of Supply work making headgear for the forces, like hand crafted flying helmets for the

RAF, Nurses hats and some Aircraft parts, they also made special equipment for Commando Frogmen.

• Like 3

I am not sure? my knowledge is limited.

Ive googled Failsworth Hats and came across some very smart peaky blinder looking caps 😉

Established 1903 so more than likely it could be, another name to add to the list 😁 

• Like 3