British & Commonwealth WW1 & WW2 Brodie Helmet Maker Stamps

leon21

Interesting helmet. Leon might be able to shed more light on this. I have read that some of the early helmets had a blueish paint applied. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Oddly enough John leopold brodie's name does not turn up , in any newspaper before 1930. Then its a court case claiming to be the inventor of the steel helmet.

• Like 5

I finally found a decent early war British Helmet, dated 1939. Its missing the interior dome pad, but everything else is there, 1945 (Canadian) dated liner. Looks like it had a decal or emblem on one side at some point. 

IMG_7030.JPG

IMG_20231027_190141069.jpg

IMG_20231027_190014130.jpg

IMG_20231027_190024464.jpg

IMG_20231027_190152936.jpg

IMG_20231027_190210077.jpg

• Like 4

Nice looking helmet, good maker too most likely refurbished at some stage. You could

try and find a used British liner to match it up with the shell.

• Like 4

I will be on the lookout, if you guys see anything, please let me know.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 28/10/2023 at 00:06, Gildwiller1918 said:

I finally found a decent early war British Helmet, dated 1939. Its missing the interior dome pad, but everything else is there, 1945 (Canadian) dated liner. Looks like it had a decal or emblem on one side at some point. 

IMG_7030.JPG

Nice Clear Stamping on yours

Here is my Rubery Owen & Co. also Made in 1939

IMG_4420.jpeg

• Like 5

This helmet belonged to my Grandad John Dyke

Stamped RO.Co

Heat/Batch code KE 1/1939

During the Second World War John served in the Service Corps and the Camouflage unit of the 2nd Army. He drew one of the invasion maps needed for the Normandy landing, and then was engaged in mapping traffic routes through to Luneburg Heath where the German Army capitulated. After that he was posted to Cowley Barracks to make a series of maps to record war campaigns.

I need to find a larger size liner so I can carry on wearing it on Bonfire Nights

IMG_4425.jpeg

IMG_4424.jpeg

IMG_4420.jpeg

IMG_4419.jpeg

• Like 5

I would leave the original liner in the helmet

• Like 4

Nice looking helmet has the BMB liner got an oval pad or is it one of the new liners with the x shape

pad that Briggs Motor Bodies developed in 1939.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Fritz said:

I would leave the original liner in the helmet

I will definitely be keeping the original liner but as I wear this helmet a few times a year and the liner is a smaller size (7) than my 58cm head I would like to find a replacement that is more comfortable

• Like 4

2 hours ago, leon21 said:

Nice looking helmet has the BMB liner got an oval pad or is it one of the new liners with the x shape

pad that Briggs Motor Bodies developed in 1939.

Thanks Leon

It had an X pad which I still have, it dropped off off some years ago, there’s the remains of something stuck to the liner, how were they originally attached? 

IMG_4433.jpeg

IMG_4438.jpeg

IMG_4442.png

IMG_4436.jpeg

• Like 4

Here's a couple of photos of how they look. the rubber dome center looks like it was stuck on then became brittle and broken away on your liner leaving a bigger hole.

helmet_liner_outoforder-1140x885.jpg

liner_year.jpg

• Like 4

You can buy replacement x-pads or liners, I've seen them for sale on the internet, but

as you say keep the original if you ever want to sell it.

• Like 4