British & Commonwealth WW1 & WW2 Brodie Helmet Maker Stamps

leon21

Can you tell me who is the maker of the liner, it should be stamped on the metal cross-strips and

would have the date and maker marks. Thanks.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Leon,

Can you help me with this marking ?

I know what is HBH = Harrison Bros & Howson. Sheffield. 1938 - 1943

But I'd like to ask what it means ZY H ? Or ZY II

Thanks for answer.

IMG_20220506_232525.jpg

IMG_20220506_231722.jpg

IMG_20220506_232624.jpg

• Like 3

Typically the "ZY" & most likely "H" (hard to tell from the photo) would mean this started out as a US M1917 helmet. 

• Like 3

That's really interesting, it's probably really ZY H. So it's US helmet reissued by the British Army in WWII ?

• Like 3

I can't say for certain, but it looks that way to me. 

• Like 2

Hello Georgee,  ZY  is the batch code of steel used by Harrison Bros & Howson to make some of

their helmets, nice looking  British police helmet made in II/ 1938.

Is the liner maker marked and dated. In 1939 they were using a two letter code starting

with the letter Y, the II mark was always over the date.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have a brodie helmet that looks like it was repainted as it has runs in the paint. The liner is a repro but the date stamp on the helmet just says "1940", no other markings can be found. Can anyone give me some answers on if it's an original or a repro?

• Like 3

On 8. 5. 2022 at 13:43, leon21 said:

Dobrý den, Georgee, ZY je kód šarže oceli, který používá Harrison Bros & Howson k výrobě některých ocelí

jejich helmy, pěkně vypadající britská policejní helma vyrobená v II/1938.

Je výrobce vložky označen a datován. V roce 1939 používali dvoupísmenný kód začínající

u písmene Y byla značka II vždy nad datem.

Thank you very much Leon 🙂

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Tyler E said:

I have a brodie helmet that looks like it was repainted as it has runs in the paint. The liner is a repro but the date stamp on the helmet just says "1940", no other markings can be found. Can anyone give me some answers on if it's an original or a repro?

Hi Tyler, could you post some pictures please 

• Like 2

Welcome Tyler, can you post a photo of the helmet mark it would be helpful.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like the Helmet is a WW1 era Brodie and it has a US M1917A1 Liner. Do the bales (the part of the helmet that has the chinstraps) have rivets or a split pin? Hard to say if it is 100% authentic. The helmet looks real and the liner looks real, whether this helmet was put together at a later date or came as it is, hard to say, but it is very easy to remove the liner, just unscrew the nut in the dome of the helmet and it comes right out.

• Like 3

Welcome Juju, at first glance  the shell looks British made, can you take a close up photo of the

rim joint it looks like there is a faint stamp mark near the joint.

I can make out what looks like a /0 mark.

• Like 2

On 08/06/2022 at 20:55, Gildwiller1918 said:

Do the bales (the part of the helmet that has the chinstraps) have rivets or a split pin?

Many Mk. I helmets that were upgraded with the m1917a1 liner also had the split rivets replaced with standard m1917-style rivets.  Sometimes the split rivets remained and sometimes the original chinstrap loops were removed entirely.  It all depended on who did the refurbishing and when, since it could have been done by anything from a company all the way up to one of the Arsenals, and the modification orders changed over time.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hard to tell if it's a letter B or an F, try rubbing some talk in to the mark to enhance it.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

I have an old brodie helmet with a painted logo on it. It has a mark on the rim H/S 11 (Hadfields sheffield?) and a date (1938) on the strap  fixing.20220916_122923.thumb.jpg.1ce8757f29a984ac2c9835e11b882f2a.jpg Can anyone help identify regiment markings? 

Edited by Steve C
(Found the date!)
  • Like 3

Thanks Leon 21...have been scrolling through hundreds of helmet flashes and actually came across royal artillery anti -aircraft flash which looks similar. Also wondered why there was a big painted stamp inside saying either 88 or SS...

20220917_121830.jpg

• Like 3

HI Steve, we've had this question Before, could be someone's initials or an inspection mark nobody

seems to know for sure.

• Like 2

I thought it could be 88 not SS and am researching at the moment....maybe regiment no? 

In any case finding this fascinating. I've got initials on the flash on the helmet so am checking my family war records as this helmet was given to my father in the 60's but he can't remember who wore it. That's my task. 

• Like 3

This post is a fantastic resource. Thanks to all 👍

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Picked this Mk I* Helmet up  Made between 1936-1938, has no makers name or date stamp only a

heat stamp number C09, the liner was made by J Crompton Sons & Webb Ltd of London.which

also has no date stamp only a size 7 mark and MK I mark.

In 1936 the MK I* helmet was fitted with a new and improved liner and a new elasticated or sprung

webbing chinstrap.was added.

This variant served until 1939/40 when it was superseded by the slightly modified MK II variant

and also the helmet shells and liners were date stamped.

This helmet was later used by a ARP Warden in the London area which has the letters B.U.D.C. for

one of the London Boroughs starting with the letter B ie:- Brent,  Bexley,  Barnet,  Bromley or

Barking and Dagenham  Urban District Councils also has a letter E on the back underside brim for

E Sector.

100_6122.jpg

100_6120.jpg

100_6121.jpg

• Like 3

Here we have a WW1 British 1916 variant helmet stamped HS 389 by Hadfields Ltd of Sheffield

both Manufacturer and Steel Supplier, with Heat Batch No 389, liner and chinstrap still in good

condition.

Photos from other sources.

H.S 389 (1).jpg

H.S 389 (2).jpg

H.S 389 (3).jpg

• Like 2