British & Commonwealth WW1 & WW2 Brodie Helmet Maker Stamps

leon21

The trouble is I'm never actually sure if there'll ever be a complete list of liner makers...new ones seem to keep coming out of the woodwork tho there MUST be contract details somewhere. I guess we'll have to wait for Marcus' book for that.

..but if it's lists you want, a list of Zuck / CPH liner makers would be very interesting.....I gave up on that when it started to look like everyone and his brother made 'em!

....sorry, I know this isn't a Zuck thread.

• Like 5

I have just set up a thread for Zuckerman helmets :thumbsup: 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a helmet made by Miris Steel Co Ltd of London stamped MLS 36 who was both Manufacturer and Steel Supplier and

Steel Batch 36.

Photo's from other sources.

WW1 Magnetic Helmet (1).jpg

WW1 Magnetic Helmet (3).jpg

WW1 Magnetic Helmet (2).jpg

• Like 3

Here's another British made helmet stamped HS.407 by Hadfields Ltd of Sheffield both Manufacturer and Steel Supplier and Steel

Batch  407, has the US Third Division emblem to front of helmet.

US Third Div HS 407 Marked.jpg

HS 407 Mark.jpg

• Like 5

Hi Everyone, I stumbled on this thread as I was looking for the makers marks of the helmet I've owned for years. I needed the information so I could send it to school with my daughter for their WW2 topic.

Thanks to you guys I now know who made it DSC_0778.thumb.JPG.6d7e78cf624d49bcecead3ee850a828d.JPGDSC_0779.thumb.JPG.1133eb3400763fc4e932f5b78563ae5c.JPGDSC_0782.thumb.JPG.94b21e05aa0e38d2409083804bae07cf.JPG

Helmet:  Harrison Bros & Howson

Liner: Barrow Hepburn & Gale Ltd (not in great condition sadly)

Both stamped 1939 (although helmet marking is difficult to read)

• Like 4

Your welcome dd75 thanks for adding your helmet to the data base. 

• Like 2

Thanks Kenny my pleasure, I've had it since I was a kid in the 80's (I seem to remember making my dad pay £6 for it!!!) so its really good to find out some of its history.

The liner was original in much better condition, but unfortunately it's been tucked away in cupboards a lot for a long time so its no longer as good as it was.

I'm assuming that the G 11 above the makers mark is the batch number.

• Like 3

Welcome to the forum DD1975, yes the G11 is the Heat/batch number, nice looking helmet. Nice to see the Barrow

Hepburn & Gale Ltd liner don't see them very often, thanks for posting much appreciated.

• Like 2

Thanks, I've tried to look after it all the digs you can see on the top have been there since I got it. I need to spend some time on the liner see if I can restore it a bit. The lace rotted and snapped and I haven't managed to get it out and replace it yet I didn't want to damage it in the process.

The paint has worn off the rim but otherwise it's not too bad.

• Like 3

..for what it's worth I'd keep it exactly as it is.....

you COULD do loads to it...along with the ultimate desecration of a re-paint......but it's "been there" and looks like it's "been there"......just sayin'......

• Like 3

Yes I would have to agree, it's 80 years old and bound to have a few problems, I keep mine in a display cabinet  were they are kept dry.

• Like 2

I agree with Leon, I would leave it be, original complete helmets are getting harder to find. I have refurbished some of the US M1917 helmets, but only those that have no paint left on them and are missing all the internal parts, basically the empty shell. 

• Like 3

To be fair that's partly why I left it alone and I wouldn't even consider painting it. 

I will see if it's possible to replace the lace in the liner, but will leave it alone if it looks like being a problem. 

Thanks for the advice guys. 

• Like 3

No problem, there are reproduction liners and parts available as well as originals. Just got to hunt them down.

• Like 3

Why not just buy a reproduction helmet, then everything is complete?

• Like 3

Yes, that certainly is an option. You can buy a newly made one or a refurbished one. Dealers choice. Up to the end user.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Here's another WW2 Helmet by Harrison Bros & Howson, has the Black Cat emblem of 56th Infantry ( London Division ) shell marked

HBH II 1943 and heat No 433. Also two other 1939 stamp marks note the heat code on these are 2 letters.

HBH 1943 (1).jpg

HBH 1943 (2).jpg

HBH 1943 (3).jpg

HBH 1939 (2).jpg

HBH 1939.jpg

• Like 4

Here's another WW2 helmet used by the Ambulance service made by Joseph Sankey & Son ltd of Bilston stamped JSS I 1939 and heat code HD.

JSS 1939 (3).jpg

JSS 1939 (2).jpg

JSS 1939 (1).jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a WW1 rimless helmet R/A 123 made around 1916 by John Round & Sons Ltd of Sheffield and Steel Supplier Edgar Allen & Co Ltd of Sheffield

And Heat/Batch code 123, was later refurbished and a BMB 1940 Liner fitted.

John Round (1).jpg

John Round (2).jpg

John Round (3).jpg

John Round (4).jpg

• Like 4

Here's another WW1 rimless helmet D/F 7 made by James Dixon & Sons of Sheffield and Steel Supplier Thomas Firth & Sons of Sheffield

and Heat/Batch code 7, looks like it has been refurbished has a Portuguese Legion Emblem on front.

DF7 (1).jpg

DF7 (3).jpg

DF7 (2).jpg

• Like 4

And here we have a WW1 helmet FKS93 by Thomas Firth & Sons Ltd of Sheffield Both Manufacturer and Steel Supplier

and Heat/Batch code 93.

FKS93 (1).jpg

FKS93 (2).jpg

FKS93 (3).jpg

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Here we have a helmet stamped FS 93 made by Thomas Firth & Sons Ltd of Sheffield both Manufacturer and Steel Supplier

and Heat/Batch code 93. Used by the US Army has 101st Infantry Regiment Emblem part of 26th Yankee Division.

FS 93.jpg

FS 93 (1).jpg

FS 93(2).jpg

• Like 4

Here we have another helmet stamped FS 180 made by Thomas Firth & Sons of Sheffield both Manufacturer and Supplier

and Heat/Batch code 180. Used by the US Army has the 78th Infantry Division Emblem on side of helmet.

FS180 (1).jpg

FS 180 (2).jpg

FS 180.jpg

• Like 4

Hello,

I have just bought this ww1 British/ Portuguese  helmet as  listed below and on your website .  Should i put it back to a ww1 British helmet  as i have a original 08 webbing  large pack and or take the shine off it with a fine wire wool,  is it the original  british colour ?

Keith

Here's another WW1 rimless helmet D/F 7 made by James Dixon & Sons of Sheffield and Steel Supplier Thomas Firth & Sons of Sheffield

and Heat/Batch code 7, looks like it has been refurbished has a Portuguese Legion Emblem on front.

DF7 (1).jpgDF7 (3).jpgDF7 (2).jpg

• Like 3

Keith, in my opinion, you can do whatever you like as the helmet is yours. However altering it will diminish the value and historical aspect. As long as you are ok with that, do what you wish. If you goal is to make a authentic looking WW1 British Helmet, you have a really nice shell to start from. The liner would have to be replaced and a chinstrap installed as well. Do you plan on using original items or reproductions? 

You spoke of removing the decal and shine, have you considered just covering the helmet with the jute/burlap cover? These can still be found and decent prices, just an idea. 

• Like 3