British & Commonwealth WW1 & WW2 Brodie Helmet Maker Stamps

leon21

I think more research is needed.! Also the fact , that brodie only had the patent for the liner. Not the entire helmet. There has to be more documents somewhere, 

• Like 2

From halifax courier.! Dec 5 1914

34598D81-0DBF-46A4-A9D2-8179871EE85F.thumb.jpeg.d0b52567340c2c781c1989a59b62ebb0.jpeg

It looks as though they were getting more supplies from home communities, rather than from the , war office.! Was Alfred Bates making helmets before, they where even called for.! Did he create the demand.?

• Like 4

Definately needs research.

If Alfred Bates was contacted by the war office, or he contacted the war office, then there should be some proof somewhere.!

Or maybe a sales invoice from LS (leadbeater & scott), for steel .?

• Like 2

Might be an idea to contact them, if they are still in business 

• Like 3

I came across this set of markings today but can’t match them to any of the makers in the list. They appear on what looks like a MK II shell

Maybe it’s just me being a muppet but as I said I can’t seem to place them. Any help appreciated, Jack

CAEEEE4C-ADC4-45A8-AF72-6C76B100D166.jpeg

• Like 3

Not seen that mark before Jack, a lot of these helmet manufactures used more than one stamp mark, the nearest  I can think of, is it might be a

Fisher & Ludlow of Birmingham stamp mark. But it's only a guess, it could be a lesser known Private maker you've found.

Here's a lesser known stamp mark for Clydesdale Stamping Co. who used a letter S within a letter C stamp mark.

Clydesdale Mark.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a couple more unknown maker marks from private manufacturers MXAC3 found on a chief wardens helmet, and ET 1940 found on a Home Guard  helmet, or the mark could be M/AC3

MXAC3.jpg

E.T 1940 (2).jpg

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Here's two interesting Brodie Helmets I spotted up for sale online both made by Briggs Motor Bodies of Birmingham.

First one has the letters U.X.B. painted on the front of the helmet made in 1941 with a BMB liner of the same date a nice looking helmet.

Second is a Alvis  car factory fire guard helmet made in 1940 with a Vero liner dated 1940, during WW2 they produced Aircraft Engines

as a sub contractor of Rolls-Royce Ltd and other Aircraft Equipment.

They also produced the AC1, AC2, and AC3D Armoured Car, the AC2 was subsequently used as a basis for the 39M Csaba Armoured Car

they produced  a total of 61 for the Royal Hungarian Army and 16 for the Royal Air Force.

BMB 1941 (2).jpg

BMB 1940.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Hello! Leon21 seems to be an expert on these helmets and I really appreciate his work and research on this topic. I have just bought a Brodie helmet with the markings they are very faint so instead i write them down for you (the same way they appear on the helmet):

BMB 1942

R48

As i found in your guide that BMB is the company that produced this helmet and 1942 is the production date. I cannot find anywhere though what R48 stands for. Also the chinstrap is on this helmet is not the one used on most brodie helmets as shown in the pictures. The chinstrap also has a bit of what I suppose is blood on it. It was also missing it's liner. It has no other markings on it. I could be a Dutch post-war Brodie helmet as I live and bought it in the Netherlands.

20190602_155540.jpg

20190602_155555.jpg

• Like 5

Welcome to the forum Gijs, yes the helmet shell is British made by Briggs Motor Bodies of Dagenham the R48 is the batch number of steel

used to make the shell. The chin strap is the later MKIII chin strap and started to be used around this time.

Below is an example of a Dutch post war stamp mark, they did not have any makers marks on the inside of the helmet shells.

Post War Dutch Marks.jpg

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I am starting to post images of my British Helmets, so enjoy, it make take several days to get them all done. Up first is an unrimmed helmet with the liner intact. The heat stamp has a "V" over a possible "S" with lot number 103. I did also get a picture of the liner manufacturer as well. 

Either W. & E. Viener Ltd or Vickers Ltd of Sheffield. both used the letter V mark.

IMG_0487.JPG

IMG_0488.JPG

IMG_0489.JPG

IMG_0491.JPG

IMG_0496.JPG

IMG_0483.JPG

• Like 4

Next up is another unrimmed helmet, Marked D/A 81. 

( Manufacturer) J. Dixon & Sons. ( Steel Supplier) Edgar Allen & Co.

IMG_0497.JPG

IMG_0498.JPG

IMG_0500.JPG

IMG_0502.JPG

IMG_0501.JPG

• Like 4

Here is another, marked "H/S" 410, has the liner and chinstrap, but has seen better days, has a really nice liner stamp as well. 

( Manufacturer & Steel Supplier ) Hadfield Ltd of Sheffield.

IMG_0505.JPG

IMG_0506.JPG

IMG_0507.JPG

IMG_0508.JPG

• Like 4

Great helmets Gildwiller1918 look forward to seeing more :thumbsup: 

• Like 2

Next up is a rimmed helmet marked "HS" 499. 

( Manufacturer & Steel Supplier ) Hadfield Ltd of Sheffield.

IMG_0510.JPG

IMG_0511.JPG

IMG_0512.JPG

IMG_0513.JPG

• Like 4