British & Commonwealth WW1 & WW2 Brodie Helmet Maker Stamps

leon21

7 minutes ago, Gildwiller1918 said:

Keith, in my opinion, you can do whatever you like as the helmet is yours. However altering it will diminish the value and historical aspect. As long as you are ok with that, do what you wish. If you goal is to make a authentic looking WW1 British Helmet, you have a really nice shell to start from. The liner would have to be replaced and a chinstrap installed as well. Do you plan on using original items or reproductions? 

You spoke of removing the decal and shine, have you considered just covering the helmet with the jute/burlap cover? These can still be found and decent prices, just an idea. 

I would like to use original parts but may well be reproductions used if i go that route.   Your idea  of a  jute/burlap cover is a very good one.  If i did get the shine off i would leave whats left of the decal on.  I dont think it was that shiney and just make it duller.

• Like 2

Hi Keith, welcome to the forum, personally I would leave it as it is. If it is from the Portuguese Legion then it would be quite scarce as they were a Fascist organisation. I would agree with Gildwiller a helmet cover would be the best way to proceed, complete your display and remove it if you ever wanted to move it on. 

• Like 2

Steel wool might help get the shine off, but scrubbing too hard may remove some paint. Original helmet liners can still be found, however they can be fragile if the leather was not preserved properly. Installing them takes a delicate hand as well. More often than not the chinstrap will be the hardest part to find. 

• Like 3

If you are considering using repro parts, why not just buy a reproduction helmet with the parts already installed? That way you can leave the original as is...just a thought.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, kenny andrew said:

Hi Keith, welcome to the forum, personally I would leave it as it is. If it is from the Portuguese Legion then it would be quite scarce as they were a Fascist organisation. I would agree with Gildwiller a helmet cover would be the best way to proceed, complete your display and remove it if you ever wanted to move it on. 

5 minutes ago, kenny andrew said:

Thanks for your help.

I think a helmet cover would be the best way to go.

Keith

• Like 3

No problem, I have restored many WW1 helmets as well, if you ever need some help, let me know.

• Like 3

Welcome to the forum Keith, I would agree with Kenny and Gildwiller and leave it as it is, you will destroy the history of the helmet.

• Like 3

The helmet has possibly been varnished over at some time to protect the original finish, some musems did this decades ago, including the Imperial War Museum.

• Like 3

Here's another British made helmet stamped H.V 528 by W. Hutton & Sons ( Manufacturer ) and Vickers Ltd ( Steel Supplier )

and Heat/Batch code 528. Still has it's liner but chinstrap missing.

Photo's from other sources.

HV 528.jpg

HV 528 (1).jpg

HV 528 (2).jpg

• Like 4

Here's another British made helmet stamped H.V 571  by W. Hutton & Sons ( Manufacturer ) and Vickers Ltd (Steel Supplier )

and Heat/Batch Code 571. This helmet was used by the Canadian Army has the 2nd Canadian Division All Officers Emblem.

HV 571.jpg

HV 571 (2).jpg

HV 571 (1).jpg

• Like 4

Here we have another British made helmet stamped D/F 64 by James Dixon & Sons of Sheffield and Steel Supplier Thomas Firth & Sons

of Sheffield and Heat/Batch code 64. Has the Cameron Highlanders Emblem on front of helmet.

DF 64 (3).jpg

D F 64 (1).jpg

D F 64 (2).jpg

• Like 3

Here we have another British made helmet stamped FS 169 by Thomas Firth & Sons of Sheffield both Manufacturer and

Steel Supplier and Heat/Batch code 169. has the RED Brodie stamp on inside of liner.

FS 169 (2).jpg

FS 169 (3).jpg

FS 169 (4).jpg

FS 169 (1).jpg

• Like 4

Here's another British made helmet stamped D/F 76 by James Dixon & Sons of Sheffield with steel supplied by Thomas Firth & Sons

with Heat/Batch code 76, has a large Red Circle Emblem for Canadian 1st Division Ammunition Column on front of helmet.

DF 76 (3).jpg

DF 76 (2).jpg

DF 76 (1).jpg

• Like 4

Here's a British made WW1 helmet I spotted for sale on an American website has the stamp mark ML 11 which I have never seen before,so

Manufacturer and Steel Supplier ( unknown ) and Heat/Batch code 11. Has no liner or chinstrap.

ML 11 (3).jpg

ML 11 (1).jpg

ML 11 (2).jpg

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

hello everyone! im new here, i've seen that you guys have a lot of information about Brodie helmets i got a post war helmet and thanks to this forum i 've been able to identify the liner, (FFL II, dated 1949) but i can't identify the shell stamp... hope you can help me, thanks!

IMG_2326 (1).JPG

• Like 4

Hi Felipe, welcome to the forum, Leon is the best person to answer your question hopefully he will sign in soon, however some of the other members are good with Brodie helmets so may be able to help too, not my area of expertise I'm afraid.   :thumbsup:  

• Like 4

Hello Felipe, I am more knowledgeable on the US made helmets, Leon would be the person you need to get in touch with. Do you have any more pictures you can post?

• Like 5

Welcome to the forum Felipe the helmet shell was made by BMB = Briggs Motor Bodies Ltd of Dagenham, below is a better image

of what the BMB stamp mark looks like, sorry I can't make out the date of your shell.

B.M.B. 1941.jpg

• Like 5

On 17/02/2020 at 07:45, kenny andrew said:

Hi Felipe, welcome to the forum, Leon is the best person to answer your question hopefully he will sign in soon, however some of the other members are good with Brodie helmets so may be able to help too, not my area of expertise I'm afraid.   :thumbsup:  

thanks Kenny!

• Like 4

On 18/02/2020 at 10:50, Gildwiller1918 said:

Hello Felipe, I am more knowledgeable on the US made helmets, Leon would be the person you need to get in touch with. Do you have any more pictures you can post?

thanks a lot Gildwiller! actually im a huge fan of US helmets! 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, leon21 said:

Welcome to the forum Felipe the helmet shell was made by BMB = Briggs Motor Bodies Ltd of Dagenham, below is a better image

of what the BMB stamp mark looks like, sorry I can't make out the date of your shell.

B.M.B. 1941.jpg

Thanks Leon! don't worry, im happy to know the manufacturer, again thanks for your time guys!

• Like 5

Well Felipe, if you ever have any questions or need help, just ask.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Here's another British made helmet found in an attic in France I spotted stamped O/H = Samuel Osborne & Co Ltd of Sheffield ( Steel Supplier ) and

Hutton & Sons Ltd of Sheffield ( Manufacturer ) with Heat/Batch code 466 or 463 hard to tell last number, has Red Brodie stamp mark inside liner.

OH 466 (2).jpg

OH 466 (3).jpg

OH 466 (4).jpg

OH 466 (1).jpg

• Like 4

Here's another British made helmet being sold as a US M1917, the helmet is stamped FKS 8 = Thomas Firth & Sons of Sheffield both ( Manufacturer )

and ( Steel Supplier ) with Heat/Batch code 8, has the Emblem of the US 27 Infantry Division ( looks new).

FKS 8 (3).jpg

FKS 8 (1).jpg

FKS 8 (2).jpg

• Like 4