Treasure Bunker Book "The War Diaries of a Panzer soldier"

Kenny Andrew

Book should be out April or May.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Book is now available in America, should hopefully have it in stock in the next week or two

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Bruce great to hear from you, the first shipment of books arrived today 

The War Diaries of a Panzer Soldier: Erich Hager with the 17th Panzer Division on the Russian Front 1941-1945 by Kenneth Andrew and David Garden Ref: 1945 Price: £55.00 

The Treasure Bunkers First Book The War Diaries of a Panzer Soldier: Erich Hager with the 17th Panzer Division on the Russian Front 1941-1945.

Erich Hager is the Uncle of Treasure Bunker Owner Kenneth Andrew, in this book by Kenneth Andrew and David Garden you can read his unique personal account of the war on the Russian Front, written using the diaries and photos of Erich Hager who served in the 39th Panzer Regiment, 17th Panzer Division throughout the war in Russia. Hager rose to the rank of Unteroffizier and served as a company commander's tank radio operator. During this time he kept diaries in which he recorded the events he went through every day at the front. His diaries have been translated and are presented with additional notes. Hager also took many personal photographs of comrades, and vehicles - many are included here. The book also includes a chapter on the 17th Panzer Division. Despite taking part in many battles on the Russian Front, including the attempted relief effort at Stalingrad, little information on the 17th Panzer Division has been published. Hager's material provides a tremendous insight into the war on the Russian Front from a front line soldier's perspective.

If you would like a signed copy at no extra charge please send an email before ordering the book on-line.

The war diaries of a panzer soldier

post-3-1285344503.jpg

2907992A.jpg

• Like 3

Yes a copy is on it's way to Irene at the Armourer plus other magazines too for review

• Like 1

Nice one I will buy a copy soon. I will get it into our monthly IMPS (Invicta Military Preservation Society) magazine if possible too

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Just looking at the description of the book. You may find quite a lot more general information in the internet home page of "Lexikon der Wehrmacht", everything is more or less covered. Panzergeneral Hoth was of course supposed to break through the Soviet encirclement west of Stalingrad, and made it up to 19 km before Stalingrad, where the advance ground to a halt. Soviet resistance had been too much. This was Paulus' chance to break out, but Paulus had been told by the Führer, "Stalingrad ist bedingungslos zu halten, keine Aufgabe!" - so Paulus was not the man to contradict and he stayed put. They could have broken through the 19 km to join up with Panzergruppe Hoth, but Paulus hesitated and all was lost. That was the end of an Army, and the fate of over 90.000 men of the Sixth Army was sealed. Amongst those captured was a medical orderly, Friedrich Hinkfuss from Hamburg (rank not known). His medical unit was horse-drawn, as were many units on the Eastern Front. He was a prisoner of war till end of 1955. He died in 1973, and is buried in the Wandsbek Churchyard.

• Like 3

I agree Paulus should have broken out instead of surrendering to the Russians.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I know it's a bit late now, but I have a 39 Pz. Reg wehrpass & a 14 Pz div (Pz. Reg 36) Stalingrad W/P too. Stewy

• Like 4

would really like to see the Pz. Rgt 39 wehrpass Stewy

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

A good source of information is the internet page of Lexikon der Wehrmacht, which has a vast amount of information about nearly all units of Heer, Marine, Luftwaffe and Waffen-SS, mostly abridged informations on each units and their reogranisation, expansion, etc .from 1933 till 1945. Although this page is in German, if should not prove difficult to gain basic informations, and there is also the Forum der Wehrmacht attached (in which you would have to login), its many members will surely be glad to assist with any questions you may have. I am sure there will be some basic info about the Panzer Regt. you are looking for and its parent division. Another good source is by the Author Paul Carell (alias Schmidt) in his books, Unternehmen Barbarossa and Verbrannte Erde, which were both published in England in the late 1960s and early 1970s and I am sure have since been republished. Paul Carell was a Kriegsberichterstatter or War Reporter with the Waffen-SS and even had connections as far up as Himmler and his staff. This experience enabled him to write and publish his books on various WW2 issues. He had for many years contact to other former veterans and access to the most important documents of the period.

• Like 3

I found under Lexikon der Wehrmacht This info may be good for general info

(German text copied over)

Panzer-Regiment 39

Feldpostnummern: Bei der Nummer 05889 wurde ab dem 9. November 1944 noch zusätzlich die 6. Kompanie eingetragen. Die Nummer 45850 wurde ab dem 23. Januar 1945 in der Feldpostübersicht nur mit dem Vermerk Stab und Einheit, ohne Angaben zur Gliederung, für die I. Abteilung eingetragen.

Einheit

Feldpostnummer

Regimentsstab

00605 bis Aug/44

ab Dez/44 00605

Werkstatt-Kompanie

ab 1941 04839

Stab I. Abteilung

01363 bis 1942

ab Jan/45 45850

Stabs-Kompanie

01815 bis 1942

ab Jan/45 45850 A

1. Kompanie

02869 bis 1942

ab Jan/45 45850 B

2. Kompanie

03252 bis 1942

ab Jan/45 45850 C

3. Kompanie

03752 bis 1942

ab Jan/45 45850 D

Staffel I

02158 bis 1942

Werkstatt-Zug I

04839 bis 1941

Kolonne I

04327 bis 1941

Stab II. Abteilung

Stabs-Kompanie

4. Kompanie

5. Kompanie

6. Kompanie

08784 bis Okt/44

ab Nov/44 05889 A

7. Kompanie

ab 42/43 18672

Staffel II

06365 gestr. 1942

Werkstatt-Zug II

09785 gestr. 1941

Kolonne II

09199 bis 1941

Versorgungs-Kompanie II

ab Okt/44 08784

Das Panzer-Regiment 39 wurde am 1. Oktober 1940 im Wehrkreis XVII aufgestellt. Das Regiment wurde mit zwei Abteilungen aufgestellt. Der Stab und die I. Abteilung wurden durch die Panzer-Ersatz-Abteilung 4 aufgestellt. Die II. Abteilung wurde durch die Panzer-Ersatz-Abteilung 33 aufgestellt. Das Regiment unterstand nach der Aufstellung der 17. Panzer-Division. Im Frühsommer 1941 wurden die beiden Kolonnen vom Regiment an den Panzer-Divisions-Nachschubführer 27 abgegeben und bildeten dort die 13. und die 14. große Kraftwagen-Kolonne. Am 1. Juni 1941 wurde aus der I. Abteilung des Panzer-Lehr-Regiment eine III. Abteilung gebildet. Doch schon am 16. August 1941 wurde die III. Abteilung wieder zur I. Abteilung vom Panzer-Lehr-Regiment. Am 19. Juni 1942 wurde die I. Abteilung zur Panzer-Abteilung 129 umbenannt und damit an die 29. Infanterie-Division (motorisiert) abgegeben. Das Regiment bestand danach nur noch aus dem Stab und der II. Abteilung, die sich in 4 Kompanien gliederte. Im Sommer 1943 wurde der Regimentsstab zur Führung der Panzer-Abteilungen 51 und 52 bei der 10. Panzer-Brigade eingesetzt. Im August 1944 wurde der Regimentsstab zum Stab der Panzer-Brigade 108 umbenannt. Die Umbenennung des Regimentsstabes wurde im November 1944 wieder rückgängig gemacht und das Regiment hatte dadurch wieder einen Stab. Am 2. Januar 1945 wurde die I. Abteilung durch Umbenennung der Panzer-Abteilung 2103 der Panzer-Brigade 103 wieder aufgestellt.

Für die Ersatzgestellung des Regiments war die Panzer-Ersatz-Abteilung 33 zuständig.

Regimentskommandeure:

Oberst Kurt Cuno (1942)

Oberstleutnant Otto Büsing (1942)

• Like 2

• 4 years later...

Excellent work Kenny & David. No mean feat putting something like that together. 👌 Quite beyond me for sure 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Paul, yes it was quite an experience.  

• Like 4

• Kenny Andrew pinned this topic

Roger that 👊👍

• Like 3

• Kenny Andrew changed the title to Treasure Bunker Book "The War Diaries of a Panzer soldier"

Here is a really good animation of the complete Eastern front campaign. If you keep an eye out for the circular grey disc with 17 on it, it represents the 17th Panzer Division and you can trace Erich's movements during the campaign. The first is 1941.

• Like 1