Collection oops' and fakes

Greg

2 issues ago in Armourer there was an article abotu SS Silver dinnerware... I read th article with EXTREME trepidation towards it being true. Sure enough the latest Armourer had a full retration with proof that it was not SS silver but belonged to a shipping line with the same innitials as the SS unit... poor collector was paying premium for a myth!

So makes me wonder how you really authenticate sometimes, especially when you come across grat items that are not in your area of collecting... or something even there but you have no clue. In bayonets I certainyl see things I have no clue to beign real or fake and sometimes the fakes ar as old as the real stuff too.

Kenny vouches for everything, which I like and trust, but must be tricky at times, it is not like there is an office of German Army equipment authenticity!

Anyone have intersting stories about tracking down and item as real or fake or finding something was not as supposed?

• Like 1

:huh:<_<

The one that sticks in my mind is people buying TR tableware marked DR for Deutches Reichsbahn (sp?) thinking it was Das Reich division.

A good mark up for unscupulous traders! :angry:

• Like 1

:o

True story - a friend of mine called Jhonny wanted to start collecting TR. He went to the Barras (yes he does come from Alloa, why do you ask?). ;)

He bought a German looking helmet painted in Celtic colours :huh: Noticing the chin strap was not the normal infantry type the dealer told him it was a fallschrinjager pathfinder helmet which some idiot had repainted. Jhonny paid £25 for it. <_<

On returning home Jhonny stripped the paint. By now he had bought a book on German helmets. :) probably from Kenny. Recognising the chinstap and finding holes round the lower edge Jhonny could identify this now as a post war German fireman's helmet. :angry:

Being an engineer jhonny ground the metal of the helmet to a bright shine and polished it. After a couple of months he took it back to the dealer in the barras and told him it was a very scarce "assault pioneer's parade helmet" used to guard Hitler in the Reichstag. The dealer paid £125 to buy the helmet back. :lol::lol:

• Haha 1

I'm cleaning my storage room of unwanted items and polishing them right now... will be going to Barras soon then :-p

• Like 1

If you know nothing about an item, indeed have to ask the vendor what it is....well, if you like it, particularly the badly rendered SS runes all over it, then really, go ahead and spend your hard earned.

OR you could stand in a darkened corner for half an hour tearing up five pound notes, with a cactus stuck up your arse. The cactus isn't strictly necessary, but it's no more than you deserve, isn't it ? :huh:

• Like 1