Irish Guard Uniforms

Greg

Someone came into the antique centre I help out in this weekend with some Irish Guard items he was interested in trading. Took a few photos of the items (still in the carriers, sorry for that)

https://plus.google.com/photos/112117522183517868539/albums/5864369731297926561

• Like 2

Hi Greg, you have to be careful with that stuff ,not sure if it still technically belongs to the government, it's a bit modern for us but maybe a good idea to check the law before you trade for it.

• Like 1

really? I did not know it could still belong to the government. Can you fill me in what the story is with uniforms? (I have not touched it, was just asked what the uniforms were by the antique centre owners as they know nothing about militaria)

• Like 2

Hi Greg, as I say they are a bit modern for us so not sure how they stand with the law you would need to look into this yourself, not sure if anybody else here would know? As far as I know, it is fine so sell officers uniforms as they are privately purchaised so belong to the owner. I think the government hold auctions from time to time to sell of the scarlet tunics etc. as you see these all over the place and students like to buy them so these I would imagine would be OK if they come from Government auctions. If it comes direct from the soldier I'm not sure how this would stand, if it is items he has been issued with. I do know for sure a surplus shop in Glasgow got into allot of trouble a few years ago for selling modern equipment and uniforms, so well worth finding out. I think if it's a disbanded regiment or out of date pattern you would probably be OK, but if it's bang up to date there may be a problem. anyone here know what the law is?

• Like 1

Good to know Kenny, US rules are rather different. Soldiers are issued all modern kit in quantity by the government but can private purchase the exact same kit in additional qty from external companies who buy it direct from the same factory the government gets it from. The only restriction is on a handful of special items.... for example US Marine Digital Camo is suppose to have thread in it to reduce IR signature. So you cannot get the EXACT Marine Digital Camo from other sources, but within 2 weeks of it released I could get official US Military specification camo with government issue numbers without the threads present (technically not official issue but close as it can get).

As for dress uniforms, medals, etc... US Market is full of them, I could by myself official 5 star general stars if I wanted to.

• Like 2

Hi Greg, best to double check yourself in case I am wrong but I am pretty sure that is the case, same with medals if a serving soldier sells his medals he will get into big bother however if he has left the service it's OK to sell them.

• Like 1

• 9 years later...

You have to mind the Lorr

• Like 2