Opinions on this Luftwaffe Tank Badge

leon21

One of the first badges I bought many years ago, never been 100% sure on this one. Would be glad

of your opinions, ie- is it real or fake and what is it worth in your opinion, as i'm about to

exchange it for something else.It is made from pot metal or monkey metal, which starts to deteriorate over time, which is the casewith this badge, it has started to deteriorate on the front of the oakleaves.

post-3823-0-11197500-1348498191_thumb.jpg

post-3823-0-07544900-1348498217_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Leon, it is a copy, there is no evidence of these badges ever being produced.

• Like 2

Kenny is correct, I have never seen a fake one let alone a real one.

Mind you, I don't collect Panzer related items much now so i might have soon thousands of the fakes without even knowing. :blink:

• Like 3

Thanks Guys I thought it was.......These badges were awarded in limited numbers, but no photographic evidence has yet emerged

of a soldier actually wearing the badge. In most cases there was simply an entry made in the soldbook.

Heres a page from Detlev Niemann book Orders and Decorations Germany 1871-1945 which shows a packet/box of issue.

heres a photo from the book The Luftwaffe by Christopher J.Ailsby of a badge awarded to Unterofficer Emil Gercken along with a

Citation on 17th Feb 1945...........................Thanks Again Guys.post-3823-0-29107200-1348565581_thumb.jpgpost-3823-0-94443600-1348565603_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Leon, there seems to be allot of questions about the badge in Detlevs book ,the last I heard was that it was a copy too.Not too keen on the one from Chris Ailsby's book either.

• Like 2

Yes you could be right there Kenny, would depend on how knowledgeable these Author's are and were they get thier source

material from. Have seen in a book recently the Author discribe the Army Assault badge as being a snipers badge.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yes indeed Leon, just because it is in a book does not always mean it is real :)

• Like 2

• 6 years later...

I'm not an expert on these badges, have never really started up on them. Was always of the opinion that the badge was awarded in small numbers. I would say the rear of the badge looks proper, the rivets are properly done, needle and catch are of the right kind. The badge is of Zinc and the extra applied eagle is non-zinc, Buntmetall, as they say - this was also a typical feature of this type of badge, often seen on the LW Erdkampfabzeichen - both of these badges are very desirable and good copies have been turning up for many years now. The front of the badge does not otherwise look well done, the Panzer etc. The badge certainly could have fooled me for a long time. That is just an opinion. The box of issue in the Niemann photo does also not look convincing, a simple piece of paper written with an old typewriter? That was not the normal way.

Here is some general info I found:

Das Panzerkampfabzeichen der Luftwaffe war eine Tapferkeitsauszeichnung der Wehrmacht im Zweiten Weltkrieg und wurde durch Verordnung am 3. November 1944 nach Vorbild des Heeres (Panzerkampfabzeichen) durch den Oberbefehlshaber der Luftwaffe Hermann Göring gestiftet.

Die Reproduktion bzw. Neuanfertigung kostet 25€, das Original im Bestzustand ist im aktuellen Katalog mit 3400€ bewertet
Further info under:

Apart from that Detlev Niemann is no longer trading. He stopped for some reason in April 2010.
  • Like 3