Soldbuch help?

leon21

Heres a soldbuch iv'e been translating, it's not in the best of conditions, its for a soldier in infantry regiment 50

Stab 111 from 1.9.39 to 1.4.42 when he was in Res-Laz.Leipzig V11 till 9.9.43. He then went to Heer Training

schule were he stayed till 1945, when on 9.3.45 he was asigned to Fortress Pak Ersatz and Training-Battalion

Abteilung 101- General Infantry Company.

Can anyone tell me what a Fortress Company was?.

post-3823-1332080075_thumb.jpg

post-3823-1332080111_thumb.jpg

post-3823-1332080148_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Leon,

Fest.Pak.=Festungs panzer-abwehr-kanone =fortress tank-defense-cannon

Festungs PAK 101 was a training unit in Fallingbostel.

Training continued at Fallingbostel/ Bergen ranges with all sorts of units passing through for its training package from the panzer ”LEHR”regiment instructors in tank warfare. In 1941- the Quisling, Norweigen legion of the waffen ss were formed and housed in Wessex barracks. The now Scots DGs officers mess being the hospital, medical centre. The “DAS REICH” ss panzer division was here April to June 42. The “ADOLF HITLER”LAH; ss heavy panzer battalion of Michael Wittmann fame trained here before moving to the Russian front. In the spring of 1943 the Luftwaffe field division were here as were the Spanish blue division, and not to mention most if not all of the panzer divisions, panzer jager battalions-infantry units all had a spell on the ranges and training area, much the same as the units of NATO training today.

Gen-Komp = Genesende -kompanie =convalescent company

• Like 2

Thanks for the information Kenny, just one more query.

In the soldbuch there are two different feldpost numbers, one is L 37054 which belongs to a Luftwaffe Ambulance

Unit or Luftwaffe mobile medical aid detachment, who from 1941 to 1942 were in SE Romania under Luftflotte 4.

And in S. Ukraine under 1V Fliegerkorps, and the second number is 13689 which belongs to Infantry Reg 50.

Any ideas on this. ?

post-3823-1332329722_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

it is possible he served with these units rather than being injured himself , perhaps he was looking after and training the injured.

• Like 2

Yes I had thought he may have served with the unit myself, I wonder if he was a army instuctor of some sort,

he seemed to stay at the army training school for a long time, and was still with a training unit in 45.

Unfortunatly some of the pages are missing, so I only have limited information to go on.

• Like 2

• 4 years later...

In the years before WW1 an infantry regiment consisted of 3 batallions, each of 4 companies. A few years before WW1 these were increased to a further halb batallion (Viertes oder Halbbataillon), a 13th = M.G.Kompanie and a 14th = Festungskompanie, which generally remained in the home station as a home reserve for defence. This same principal remained with the Wehrmacht. During WW1 an I.G-Komp. (Infanterie-Geschütz-Komp.) and a MInenwerfer-Komp. were also added, making four batallions in all, Reserve- and Ausbildungskompanien not included.

As with pages missing - there were definite instructions as to which pages were to be removed (and destroyed) before ending as a P.O.W.

• Like 3